Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Zing-It tangles less because it's both stiffer and more slick than Reflect-It which is probably the most supple guy line I've ever used. I have not had any bad tangles with it so far tho and I pretty much just roll up my lines in my snakeskin.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    I found a boat load of posts from Opie on the subject of tapering. I did thin the ends by half of the strands. Odd thing is, the thin ended up a frizzy mess, where the Zing It for me remained individual braids.

Again, I’m guessing because of the coating on the Zing It, it helps keep it more tidy and less problematic.

Still, I’m sure there is some skill level I have yet to attain.
    What are you using to cut it? I've moved on from Reflect It, but have made at least a dozen guylines with it in the past. For any and all UHMWPE cordage, I cut with a ceramic knife I purchased cheaply on Amazon just for this purpose. Cuts clean, and I don't worry about dulling any other blades.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    What are you using to cut it? I've moved on from Reflect It, but have made at least a dozen guylines with it in the past. For any and all UHMWPE cordage, I cut with a ceramic knife I purchased cheaply on Amazon just for this purpose. Cuts clean, and I don't worry about dulling any other blades.
    Out of curiosity, what made you move on from Reflect It?

A ceramic knife is on my list! Thanks for the recommendation.

Today I used a new Xacto knife blade that I had on the small Lash It. The cuts were pretty clean, but I had to do a small bit of clean up on a few loose strands.

Today I did about a dozen splices on 1.75 mm Lash It and made two continuous loops with it. No problems encountered. When I was done, I tried again with the Reflect It.

Same tools, same technique and the bury still hung up.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    May I ask why the bowline seems to be so popular for guy lines? The only real advantage it has in the climbing/sailing world is that it's easier to untie than the figure eight which has a higher breaking/slipping strength. Is it because it uses less cord and is slightly less bulky?

Images
    Out of curiosity, what made you move on from Reflect It?

A ceramic knife is on my list! Thanks for the recommendation.

Today I used a new Xacto knife blade that I had on the small Lash It. The cuts were pretty clean, but I had to do a small bit of clean up on a few loose strands.

Today I did about a dozen splices on 1.75 mm Lash It and made two continuous loops with it. No problems encountered. When I was done, I tried again with the Reflect It.

Same tools, same technique and the bury still hung up.
    I used Reflect It earlier in my journey, when I was trying a lot of the en vogue Dutch critters. It is limp and snaggy compared to other UHMWPE cordage, which may be playing a part in the problems you're having. I now use Lawson 2mm cord and Zpacks 1.3mm cord for the most part, and tie hitches rather than use hardware.

There is still some hardware in my kit - namely Lineloc 3 which works with the 2mm cord, and Lineloc V for the 1.3mm cord.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-18-2020 at 18:16.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    May I ask why the bowline seems to be so popular for guy lines? The only real advantage it has in the climbing/sailing world is that it's easier to untie than the figure eight which has a higher breaking/slipping strength. Is it because it uses less cord and is slightly less bulky?
    I can only speak for me about a bowline. I was an assistant scout master back in the 90s. I had to teach taught line hitch, sheep shank, clove hitch and bowlines on a few campouts and teach scouts how to teach them at JLT.

If I had to teach a figure 8 knot, I would prolly use that these days.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I used Reflect It earlier in my journey, when I was trying a lot of the en vogue Dutch critters. It is limp and snaggy compared to other UHMWPE cordage, which may be playing a part in the problems you're having. I now use Lawson 2mm cord and Zpacks 1.3mm cord for the most part, and tie hitches rather than use hardware.

There is still some hardware in my kit - namely Lineloc 3 which works with the 2mm cord, and Lineloc V for the 1.3mm cord.
    Thanks for the insight and resource on cordage.

I’ve got my feet on both sides of the ridge line regarding hardware. I like tying knots, but I appreciate the benefits of bling. My goal is to use it, but know how to duplicate it with “knottage” should mine or a fellow campers hardware fail.

Images
    Thanks for the insight and resource on cordage.

I’ve got my feet on both sides of the ridge line regarding hardware. I like tying knots, but I appreciate the benefits of bling. My goal is to use it, but know how to duplicate it with “knottage” should mine or a fellow campers hardware fail.
    I can appreciate that. Like a lot of things, it's a choice between relying on knowledge, gear, or both.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't remember him buying from Dutch, but I think that I was using what looks like one of the smaller tools pictured here http://https://dutchwaregear.com/pro...-hooks-7-pack/

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have had no problems splicing Reflect-It. If anything, it was easier than splicing Zing-It / Lash-It, because it's not woven as tightly. What I don't like about Reflect-It is that the reflective band breaks quickly and creates a lot of sharp edges.

I'm using thin wire needles for splicing hair. I never could get the loop turners to work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast