Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

Reflect It 1.8mm splice - is it doable or should I just use a bowline knot

Hey Y’all

I’m about to just tie bowlines in my 1.8 mm Reflect It to have loops to larks head on my tarp. I’ve just about given up on doing a locked brummel and a bury to get a tidy loop on this cordage.

I’ve made a dozen attempts with all kinds of tools and wire gauges for fishing the bury. I just seem to destroy the fibers on an attempt to finish the bury. I even bought a #16 stitching needle locally to attempt a bury, but no splice joy.

The fixed eye, I can do without an issue.

I’ve even tried removing the reflective weave in the standing end of the bury to try and gain a bit of inner diameter to the cordage.

I’ve been able to make continuous loops, and locked brummels with 2.2mm lash it and I’ve made whoopies, dog bones and a few different kinds of soft shackles with 7/64 Amsteel.

Am I missing something?

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I feel your pain ... I too struggled just like this. Thankfully, my son got into making different crafty projects with paracord (think origami, but with rope), and used his money to guy an assortment of loop turners. On a whim, I tried out his smallest size, and it worked like a charm with my 1.75 mm zing it.

I figure if it works with that small stuff, it should work for you. Alas, right now I can't find where he bought it from. Once I nail down exactly which type we used, I'll pass it on. However, don't lose hope ... it is possible, and there will probably be ten better answers than I can give before I can reply.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY 1.9 PU nylon
    Insulation
    DIY APEX 5.0 TQ/BQ
    Suspension
    Becket or Whoopie
    Images
    I use a strand out of a Cat5 computer cable folded over to splice braided mason twine. I've never used reflect it myself, but it should be similar.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by CorwinC View Post
    I use a strand out of a Cat5 computer cable folded over to splice braided mason twine. I've never used reflect it myself, but it should be similar.

Thanks, I tried 22 gauge bare steel wire, but for some reason, the bury is giving me fits.

Perhaps it’s a skill level thing.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by poor_jalopy View Post
    I feel your pain ... I too struggled just like this. Thankfully, my son got into making different crafty projects with paracord (think origami, but with rope), and used his money to guy an assortment of loop turners. On a whim, I tried out his smallest size, and it worked like a charm with my 1.75 mm zing it.

I figure if it works with that small stuff, it should work for you. Alas, right now I can't find where he bought it from. Once I nail down exactly which type we used, I'll pass it on. However, don't lose hope ... it is possible, and there will probably be ten better answers than I can give before I can reply.
    If you can recall the tool source, I would appreciate the info!

I’ve searched loop turners, but the only ones I can find are to big for this cordage.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    I ended up knotting mine after making a couple attempts at a locked brummel bury however I was able to just make a bury on the other end to tidy it up a bit. I have spliced lots of 1.75mm Zing-It but couldn't do much with the Reflect-It.

Images
    24 gauge bare copper wire is what I have used. I don't enjoy it, but it works.

Be sure to pull and cut a few strands at the tag end to create a taper.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've used #30 floral wire for 1.75mm Zing-it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I ended up knotting mine after making a couple attempts at a locked brummel bury however I was able to just make a bury on the other end to tidy it up a bit. I have spliced lots of 1.75mm Zing-It but couldn't do much with the Reflect-It.
    I just realized that Zing It doesn’t tangle to the degree that the Reflect It does.

I cut hanks of both last night and while coiling them up, the Zing It didn’t tangle, where the Reflect It did... a lot.

I’m going to make an assumption that the coating on the Zing It helps the bury along. Whatever the reason for the increases friction that causes Reflect It to tangle may be part of the problem I’m having.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    24 gauge bare copper wire is what I have used. I don't enjoy it, but it works.

Be sure to pull and cut a few strands at the tag end to create a taper.
    I found a boat load of posts from Opie on the subject of tapering. I did thin the ends by half of the strands. Odd thing is, the thin ended up a frizzy mess, where the Zing It for me remained individual braids.

Again, I’m guessing because of the coating on the Zing It, it helps keep it more tidy and less problematic.

Still, I’m sure there is some skill level I have yet to attain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast