Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
    the hammock is on the ground if not wrapping the strap twice around the tree, wondering how often that happens. Or does that mean the trees are too close together? There seemed to be a few feet on either end of the hammock and it is 11 ft long. I remembered something about the 30 degree angle but didn’t remember which direction the thumb points, thanks for the advice it will be easier to remember this way!
    Hold your hand out straight stick your thumb up in your forefinger level and it is the angle from the tip of your thumb to the tip of your forefinger.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Get thee to a group hang.

Lots of friendly people who will get a buzz out of helping a new entrant to the journey.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
    the hammock is on the ground if not wrapping the strap twice around the tree, wondering how often that happens. Or does that mean the trees are too close together? There seemed to be a few feet on either end of the hammock and it is 11 ft long. I remembered something about the 30 degree angle but didn’t remember which direction the thumb points, thanks for the advice it will be easier to remember this way!
    It looks to me like the trees may be too close together. But it’s difficult to tell from the pictures.

The first few times I set up my hammock, I took a tape measure and tried to duplicate what the hammock hang calculator told me. It got me close to the 30Deg and a comfortable but not perfect sag in the hammock.

Recently I found out my smart phone has a built in level app. That helps with the tweaking of the height of where the tree straps wrap around the tree to get that 30Deg angle. Without a level app, Shug’s post about the thumb and index finger will get you very close to 30Deg.

It took me quite a few hangs (well over 20 set ups) to get closer to what I think fits me.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    In addition to the above suggestions, you should also watch the video Warbonnet put out regarding the setup of the BlackBird hammock, but it is applicable to all other hammocks as well (less the shelf part). Following his instructions, I was able to dial in my most comfortable lay. All are different so whatever works for you, works for you!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12’
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 HSS 0*
    Suspension
    Web/DutchHks/Biner
    As the newest of the hammock newbies, I had trouble with the hang, too, right off. My family would say I’m a gearnut. So, after the first hang, naturally, I bought Dutch’s “hangle” , which is a little level that weighs maybe an ounce, or less. It is set on a 30 degree angle. I thought I wouldn’t use it, really, but on the last 4 hangs, both for my wife’s chameleon and mine, I have checked my initial estimate of 30*, and, in the beginning, I was way off. But, the last trip a few weeks ago, I was close enough both times that I changed nothing when I double checked with the hangle. I would recommend the hangle until you get to where you don’t need it. Also, you will find that Shug’s YouTube videos are the absolute best source of everything hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I never tried a hangle - just went with aiming my index finger like a gun (thumb straight up) and that's usually a 30* angle.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12’
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 HSS 0*
    Suspension
    Web/DutchHks/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I never tried a hangle - just went with aiming my index finger like a gun (thumb straight up) and that's usually a 30* angle.
    Being really new to hammocks, tonight’s the first time I heard about the gun concept for the 30* angle. That is a great idea that will save an ounce and save having to keep up with the little “hangle”.

Angle, schmangle! There are many variables that make up a comfortable lay that, IMHO, the 30 degree rule is way overblown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Angle, schmangle! There are many variables that make up a comfortable lay that, IMHO, the 30 degree rule is way overblown.

I do agree that it is one of the analysis-paralysis issues. It isn't nearly as critical as I was led to believe in my early experiences with hammocks. Ballpark is nearly always good enough. That's why the superior beings that rule the universe came up with structural ridge lines.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post

Would you agree that 30Degs is a good jumping off point for trial and error of figuring out how to hang your own hang?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast