Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    You should post an in depth gear list for us to pick over.

Whenever I see someone say they don’t mind carrying a little extra weight for comfort I’m always worried because what some people consider “a little extra weight” can be like 10 pounds of crap.

That said your shelter setup looks great. I had a fancy dyneema tarp from Hammock Gear and loved it but would often look at my buddy’s superbly with envy during bad storms.

I stored mine in mesh snakeskins outside my pack so I could grab it in a hurry and set it up first/break it down last.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or just want to talk trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    You should post an in depth gear list for us to pick over.

Whenever I see someone say they don’t mind carrying a little extra weight for comfort I’m always worried because what some people consider “a little extra weight” can be like 10 pounds of crap.

That said your shelter setup looks great. I had a fancy dyneema tarp from Hammock Gear and loved it but would often look at my buddyÂ’s superbly with envy during bad storms.

I stored mine in mesh snakeskins outside my pack so I could grab it in a hurry and set it up first/break it down last.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or just want to talk trail.
    Curious what was the difference in the tarp's? I've thought about getting a dyneema tarp but wasn't sure if it was worth the money and not sure about the noise? Was the benefit of the superfly the fact it had doors or just more coverage? I'm on youtube watching tarp vids now : p

Due to all the advise I've been given on here and other groups and youtube I've lightened my load a bit. After 4-5 nights testing my gear at or below freezing a couple nights in the teens I decided I don't need a sleeping bag liner or my lower quilt protector. I was going to take a pair of 250 wt base layer for camp and sleep. I'm going to leave them behind and have went with just a pair of nano puffy pant's that could be slept in if needed. So I feel comfortable with my ability to stay warm under most cold condition's while being light. The only extra stuff some ultra light folks would say I should leave would be the small bottle of dr b's soap and my tiny pair of scissors. I have a beard and need to keep it trimmed. I also have a 5 oz knife that is overkill and might be switched out with something half the weight. Also thought about taking a small tripod for my camera phone. Other than that I don't have anything extra. If I wanted to save some weight at this point it would be switching out my big three for lighter items and I don't think I'm going to do that until I've hiked some of the trail. Need to live in this stuff a while and if needed money can fix my mistakes! lol

Thank you for replying. Cameron

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridgecreek XL
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1977 View Post
    I have a additional question and didn't want to start another thread. I just purchased the sock/skin for my tarp. If you are thru-hiking and setting it up everyday the tarp with the sock wont fit in the original sack. How do you store this together. Just in the outside mesh pocket on your pack or do you buy a new larger sack or do you stuff it in the pack without a sack? Thanks Cameron!
    I have the Superfly with mesh snake skins and everything including my stakes and ridgeline fit in the stuff sack that came with my Superfly. That being said, a double ended stuff sack does allow for ease of deployment. Have fun on your thru-hike!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    You will get rid of a lot of weight once you eat those "steaks" . You could save some weight and go with a regular BB and still be very comfortable ( I am 6ft2 and 285+ lbs and use the BB ). If you get a pillow, consider a Klymit X pillow. Weighs less than 2 ounces and deflates flat so it takes up no pack space. Have used mine down to 9 degrees. Please test your gear and practice setting it up during the day and at night using just your head lamp. Knowing how to do so can save you a lot of aggravation as you will end up setting up in the dark at some point. If you need assistance between Springer and Fontana let me know as I live close by.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Curious what was the difference in the tarp's? I've thought about getting a dyneema tarp but wasn't sure if it was worth the money and not sure about the noise? Was the benefit of the superfly the fact it had doors or just more coverage? I'm on youtube watching tarp vids now : p

Thank you for replying. Cameron
    The HG tarp has less coverage and is made of dyneema, so it’s more expensive but much lighter. It also doesn’t quite absorb water, so after a full night of rain it won’t sag much.

It is a bit louder in the rain but that never bothered me. I like sleeping to the sound of rain anyway.

I envied his superfly due to the coverage, yes. In a real bad storm I’d have splash up hit my UQ, or at least my pack and everything would be drenched (I kept it on a groundsheet under my hammock). I’d be hiding and such and look over at him, smiling back at me with a cup of tea in his Brooklyn apartment.

I carried Dr Bronners too. I figured I’d use it to take a ghetto woods bath before town or maybe clean my pot. Realistically I never used it for either; very quickly I got used to being a filthy hiker (like everyone else) and figured why wash before town when I was just gonna shower in town anyway. I poured half out and saved the rest just in case, till I was in an Airbnb with a friend and the laundry room didn’t have detergent. I poured the rest in and it worked as advertised; never picked up any more.

The scissors and knife? Bring em’ if it makes you comfortable but I’ll bet you a beer you’ll ditch at least one eventually. Most dudes let the wild man beard grow, but if staying tight is important to you....there’s a haircut and trim in town.

I carried an 8 oz fixed blade on my shoulder strap, mostly to put my mom at ease, and only used it to cut cheese and open packages. In fact after a month I stopped cutting cheese and just took bites off the brick. When I hiked the pct I ended up taking a teeny folder that weighed like 1.2 ounces and used it just as much. It was handy for desert blisters though, and odds and ends.

Feel free to send me a message, bud. I’d be happy to geek out and talk trail with ya.

That's some pretty good advise! Thanks everyone. I live in Iowa and will have ample opportunity to test it in cold conditions. I purchased some shock cord and will have to make something to hold my pillow that makes good sense very good advise. If my open-ended bag that came with the hammock doesn't fit everything I need it to I'll get one that does I like the sound of keeping it all together and simple. I toss and turn about the weight verse comfort. I could save 1lb if I went minimal sleep system and tarp. That's not a small amount I know. But I've been cold many times in my life and its not fun. I've got to decide to go for comfort/something in-between or ultra-lite. I'll absolutely plan on testing it out before I go. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks a lot! Cameron
    Sorry to be late to the chat but I would suggest resisting the urge to go ultra ultra light on the hammock since you will use it everyday. I ripped my Dutchware Netless on the first night out on a 2 week section hike (of course on rainy night and the shelter was full......). I think it was the 1.0 Hexon. Most likely something put a small nick in the fabric that finally tore out. I had slept in it a number of times before. I was able to contact Dutch and he sent me a replacement to a post office 3 days down the trail. He recommended the 1.6 Hexon for through hiking where reliance on gear was more critical than 2 ounces. which I accepted. I was able to sleep (more like rest) in the short gear hammock I carried.

Somewhat related, I also ditched the whoopie set up too. I got the beetlebug suspension. One less thing to hassle with in weird situations like hanging your hammock in a shelter. Hassle factor starts to be a real thing about 3 weeks in.....JM2C.

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    One thing missing you might want is a gear hammock of some sort, to keep your stuff together and off the ground.
    I use an arrowhead hammock chair, but I'm not a thru hiker. Theres also a gear sling/hammock chair/pack cover, I think Jack's makes one, that's probably more thru hiker friendly.

1 - Blackbird XLC Hammock with whoopie susp
    1 - Superfly Tarp. Might be a bit overkill but I already bought it.
    1 - Warbonnet tarp sock/skin
    1 - Wooki® Underquilt rated 0 deg. I sleep cold
    1 - Diamondback Topquilt rated 10 deg Long and wide. I'm over 200lbs and over 6'
    1 - 2QZQ 11' UQ protector
    100' plus of guyline and assortment of steaks and fasteners
    This is a solid setup.

I do not see any tree straps called out -- but that may be part of the whoopie suspension.

I do not use any stuff sack or skins on my tarp, but that is a minor personal preference. I fold and roll the tarp and keep it on the top of the pack, outside any water proof bags. If you find yourself counting grams, this is a place to save a few.

As people have mentioned, use this setup several times and sort out the guylines (leave them attached) and fasteners. I carry only a few "extra" lengths of guyline for the setup -- typically 30ft to replace the longest ridgeline for the tarp setup. I have carried "extra" line for 30 years, and only used it to fix other peoples setups.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234