Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thru-Hiking AT hammock shakedown please!

Hello Everyone, My name is Cameron I'll be heading NB on the AT trail come late Feb to Early March. I've never camped in a hammock but have camped in low temps. I sleep cold and went overboard a bit on my sleeping gear. I'll ship (bedding) it back home when its nice but I figured lets be comfortable at the end of a cold day. I was hoping some of you with experience could look over this list and see if I'm missing anything other than experience!! Thanks a lot! Cameron

1 - Blackbird XLC Hammock with whoopie susp
    1 - Superfly Tarp. Might be a bit overkill but I already bought it.
    1 - Warbonnet tarp sock/skin
    1 - Wooki® Underquilt rated 0 deg. I sleep cold
    1 - Diamondback Topquilt rated 10 deg Long and wide. I'm over 200lbs and over 6'
    1 - 2QZQ 11' UQ protector
    100' plus of guyline and assortment of steaks and fasteners

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Never done the AT, but looks like you got solid gear. Since you've never camped in a hammock, definitely get out there and test it all out. Set up ain't quick if you've never done it before. Learn how to put up the tarp quickly for those rainy nights.

I dunno how small those winter quilts will pack down, so if you haven't got your pack yet definitely take that into account. I have a Zpacks Arc Blast and the main compartment is 42 L. I used a Uhaul 1.5 cu ft (16x12x12ish, equivalent to about 42L) cardboard box to test out my volume. My stuff fits with room to spare for the food bag.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply I have a 61L osprey expos. I'm hoping it will all fit!! I haven't got my top quilt yet but I think I'll make the cut. Thanks Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Never done the AT, but looks like you got solid gear. Since you've never camped in a hammock, definitely get out there and test it all out. Set up ain't quick if you've never done it before. Learn how to put up the tarp quickly for those rainy nights.

I dunno how small those winter quilts will pack down, so if you haven't got your pack yet definitely take that into account. I have a Zpacks Arc Blast and the main compartment is 42 L. I used a Uhaul 1.5 cu ft (16x12x12ish, equivalent to about 42L) cardboard box to test out my volume. My stuff fits with room to spare for the food bag.

Good luck!

I have a additional question and didn't want to start another thread. I just purchased the sock/skin for my tarp. If you are thru-hiking and setting it up everyday the tarp with the sock wont fit in the original sack. How do you store this together. Just in the outside mesh pocket on your pack or do you buy a new larger sack or do you stuff it in the pack without a sack? Thanks Cameron!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1977 View Post
    Hello Everyone, My name is Cameron I'll be heading NB on the AT trail come late Feb to Early March. I've never camped in a hammock but have camped in low temps. I sleep cold and went overboard a bit on my sleeping gear. I'll ship (bedding) it back home when its nice but I figured lets be comfortable at the end of a cold day. I was hoping some of you with experience could look over this list and see if I'm missing anything other than experience!! Thanks a lot! Cameron

1 - Blackbird XLC Hammock with whoopie susp
    1 - Superfly Tarp. Might be a bit overkill but I already bought it.
    1 - Warbonnet tarp sock/skin
    1 - Wooki® Underquilt rated 0 deg. I sleep cold
    1 - Diamondback Topquilt rated 10 deg Long and wide. I'm over 200lbs and over 6'
    1 - 2QZQ 11' UQ protector
    100' plus of guyline and assortment of steaks and fasteners

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have a mesh skin for my Superfly, and it will cram back into the stuff sack. However, I normally just fold/roll/wrap it up with the ridglines around it and put in the outside mesh.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I have a double-ended stuff sack which makes it easy to just stuff the whole thing snake and all in there. I have all the lines attached so I also put the stakes in as well and it’s all self contained.

The double ended is nice since you can deploy it like your hammock. Walk up, tied an end to the tree, walk over tie the other end, adjust and setup, etc. The sack just hangs on the line so I don’t have to keep track of it.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Looks good. You are sacrificing weight for comfort and/or ease-of-use with some things, but that's a fair trade.

My only suggestion: for an early-season start, bring a down pillow. You'll want some insulation behind your head to keep it warm.

Traditionally you'd use a down jacket as a pillow, but in cold weather you might need to wear your jacket to sleep. Also, the HammockGear Premium pillow has an adjustable shock cord with a mitten hook which you attach to the head end of your ridgeline; I've found it very useful that the pillow is in the same spot every night, because I know that's where my head should be to be most comfortable. If I find myself sliding off of the pillow, I know I need to raise the foot end.

I second the recommendation to get out and test your system. There are two vitally important skills with hammocks for an AT thru hike: setting up your hammock in cold rain, and breaking down your hammock and packing up in cold rain.

Emphasis on cold.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Enjoy your thru hike!

Things to consider for your hammock setup:

Not everyone uses a pillow, but you might want to at least try it out.

If you're planning to connect the whoopies to the straps with a Marlingspike Hitch, you're going to need a toggle. A tent stake will do fine, but specially made are available https://lawsonequipment.com/All-Prod...gle-p1130.html and https://dutchwaregear.com/product/titanium-toggles/

To keep rain from running down your suspension into your hammock, you're going to want water breaks. I just prussic some 2mm cord but there are MANY options https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-uOekjcU0

Plan for a go to ground deal even if you expect suitable trees every night

About the getting tarp with the tarp skins into the stuff sack. It works with my Thunderfly; you should be OK

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Looks like you have a very comfortable setup. Most first-time thru hikers have to adjust their gear at least once after getting some experience under their belt. You will probably be no exception! Carrying an extra pound or two may not seem like a lot, and for most of us weekend backpackers, it's not a big deal. But thru-hiking is a whole 'nother animal. Those extra ounces make a big difference when they're compounded over several hundred miles. I know you sleep cold, but you may want to look at a 40° quilt set for when you get into warmer temps.

Also, if you're going for full-comfort with your sleep/shelter systems, try to shave weight elsewhere in your pack by removing unnecessary gear or replacing certain items with smaller/lighter versions.

And lastly, make sure you get out and test your gear a bit before your hike. The worst thing you can do is get out on the trail with gear you've never set up before. Good luck with your hike!

That's some pretty good advise! Thanks everyone. I live in Iowa and will have ample opportunity to test it in cold conditions. I purchased some shock cord and will have to make something to hold my pillow that makes good sense very good advise. If my open-ended bag that came with the hammock doesn't fit everything I need it to I'll get one that does I like the sound of keeping it all together and simple. I toss and turn about the weight verse comfort. I could save 1lb if I went minimal sleep system and tarp. That's not a small amount I know. But I've been cold many times in my life and its not fun. I've got to decide to go for comfort/something in-between or ultra-lite. I'll absolutely plan on testing it out before I go. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks a lot! Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron1977; 11-17-2020 at 21:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast