Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a chameleon and have been trying to decide on the asym or symmetrical net. The Hennessy is asym, head left feet right -- only, so I really have not been able to experiment. I'm beginning to think I should try a chameleon with the symmetrical net and see how I like it. Thanks for all the comments everybody.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I've been using a Sheltowee 10' Asym. The Bonefire suspension provides a nearly perfect hangle and the combination of the two gives me the flattest no calf ridge lay of any hammock used to date.

Haven't figured out left side roll yet but you can go right side easily and back lay seems to angle you perfectly to the under insulation.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    As I was reading the forum my 13 yr old grandson told me how much he wants to try a hammock for camping. That did it. I ordered a chameleon burnt orange with a coyote brown overcover. Bugnet and overcover are symmetrical.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I am 6'1" and personally find the Chameleon a touch too narrow. However, I wouldn't want the wide version either, as it's too wide, in my opinion. The width of the standard is 58" and the wide version is 68". My sweet spot for width is 62"-64" and the added width of extra wide hammocks is, for me, just an inconvenience - not really a benefit. I do have a standard Chameleon, and can sleep in it, but I prefer a few extra inches on the width.

Your mileage may vary, of course!
    I also found the standard Chameleon a bit confining, but didn't want all the extra width+material of the wide Chameleon. I found there is a "happy medium" solution though, after I emailed the folks at Dutchware Gear. You can order a wide Chameleon but have them cut it to a specific width...it's a $5 upcharge on a single layer or $10 on a double layer. Just order $5 or $10 worth of "Custom Items" and put your desired width in the order notes. I'm happiest at 62" wide for my 5' 7 1/2" height.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    With many net designs there IS a difference in the lay between the sym and asym. It's a while since I have lain in a Chameleon asym / sym, so I can't remember how great the differences were, but usually the asym net provides more space because there is no problem with unused netting flopping around. With a sym cut, you want to give the user enough space for head and feet, but you don't want too much net hanging loose when head and feet are not there to tighten it. This means that sym nets are often cut not as generously as asym nets. There are different designs out there, so it depends on the hammock - but as a general rule of thumb, I would go with the asym over the sym, if I don't have a real need for the sym.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    With many net designs there IS a difference in the lay between the sym and asym. It's a while since I have lain in a Chameleon asym / sym, so I can't remember how great the differences were, but usually the asym net provides more space because there is no problem with unused netting flopping around. With a sym cut, you want to give the user enough space for head and feet, but you don't want too much net hanging loose when head and feet are not there to tighten it. This means that sym nets are often cut not as generously as asym nets. There are different designs out there, so it depends on the hammock - but as a general rule of thumb, I would go with the asym over the sym, if I don't have a real need for the sym.
    I have both the asym and symmetrical nets for the chameleon and the symmetrical has way more room and a less confined lay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    I have both the asym and symmetrical nets for the chameleon and the symmetrical has way more room and a less confined lay.
    I don't really like the net design of the Chameleon - both the sym and the asym nets are cut too tight, pulling up the sides of the hammock. When I lie in a Chameleon, I feel like I'm lying in a bath tub. The reason why the sym feels more spacious is, because it actually provides more room. It has to, since the user has to be able to lie in both directions. But that's not what I meant by "generous". In order to lie flat, the tips of the net have to come down far enough, to not pull up the side in the head and foot area. But all sym nets I have seen so far do this, to combat flop.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a symetrical bug net and asym topcover for my Wide Chameleon.
    The bug net does add 'flop' to a degree but i use tie outs to get rid of it. I tried layin the opposite i usually do, and didnt like it, but the Asym at least gave me the option to try. If you're not sure, buy the Asym. At worst, use your tie outs to get rid of the extra fabric.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    As I was reading the forum my 13 yr old grandson told me how much he wants to try a hammock for camping. That did it. I ordered a chameleon burnt orange with a coyote brown overcover. Bugnet and overcover are symmetrical.
    Good choice both in hammock and the symmetrical net & cover.

Between the trees and above the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12