Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM

Asym vs. Symmetrical

I am pretty new to hammocks. I have a Hennessy Explorer XL that I am trying to get to know. It is asym and I understand the diagonal lay — but getting used to sleeping in a hammock all night comfortably is still evading me. Not giving up though.

My question really has to do with the Chameleon hammock and the difference between choosing an asym bugnet or a symmetrical bugnet (or overcover). It is said that you can lay diagonal either way with the symmetrical bugnet but only one way with the asymmetrical bugnet. Is sleeping head left feet right any different with the two bugnets? I mean, why not just get the symmetrical one?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have both asym & sym for the Chameleon; I mistakenly ordered the asym...but wouldn't order it on purpose. I'd suggest getting the sym and forget about it. Head right/ feet left, or vise versa, you're good to enjoy your hang.

Between the trees and above the ground.

Images
    With any gathered end hammock, including the Chameleon, you'll likely be most comfortable on a diagonal lay.

The Chameleon asymmetrical net still allows you to switch between (head left/feet right) and (head right/feet left) diagonals - but you have to remove the net, flip it over, and reattach it in order to change.
    The symmetrical net allows you to change diagonals on the fly without altering the setup. The tradeoff is that there are more square inches of netting material compared to the asym net - so slightly more bulk, weight, and cost. Some might also find the extra fabric a bit annoying while occupying the hammock.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Does using an asym bugnet design result in more footroom/headroom for a diagonal lay -- or does it just improve the hang/taughtness of the netting?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    Does using an asym bugnet design result in more footroom/headroom for a diagonal lay -- or does it just improve the hang/taughtness of the netting?
    I'd say no to the first question. It means there's less "extra" netting, so it's closer to a yes on the second question, but it's really only a benefit if switching diagonals is something you'd do. If a hammocker only ever uses one diagonal lay with no intention to switch, then the symmetrical net provides no tangible benefit. I'm in that camp. Head right/feet left for me, and the opposite just seems unnatural for me, so I never do it.

I am 6'1" and personally find the Chameleon a touch too narrow. However, I wouldn't want the wide version either, as it's too wide, in my opinion. The width of the standard is 58" and the wide version is 68". My sweet spot for width is 62"-64" and the added width of extra wide hammocks is, for me, just an inconvenience - not really a benefit. I do have a standard Chameleon, and can sleep in it, but I prefer a few extra inches on the width.

Your mileage may vary, of course!
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-16-2020 at 15:27.

I have a Chameleon with asym bug net and asym top cover. Head left feet right, works quite well. Because of an artificial knee, I cannot lay the opposite direction, so asym is great.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    I am pretty new to hammocks. I have a Hennessy Explorer XL that I am trying to get to know. It is asym and I understand the diagonal lay — but getting used to sleeping in a hammock all night comfortably is still evading me. Not giving up though.

My question really has to do with the Chameleon hammock and the difference between choosing an asym bugnet or a symmetrical bugnet (or overcover). It is said that you can lay diagonal either way with the symmetrical bugnet but only one way with the asymmetrical bugnet. Is sleeping head left feet right any different with the two bugnets? I mean, why not just get the symmetrical one?
    If the Hennessy is asym, perhaps it doesn't permit you to try with head/foot position reversed? Maybe comfort can be achieved simply by switching your lay direction.

Most people end up sleeping one way or the other, but there are a few who report that they switch directions during the night, in which case a symmetrical is the way to go. I'm solidly head right/feet left and have been that way from the git-go, so I strongly prefer asym. You'd probably be safe getting the asym net for the Chameleon, so you would at least have a choice of lay direction. And in the less-likely instance you turn out to be a flip-flopper you can buy a symmetrical net separately.

My 'main rides' these days are DH Dariens (asym) but I do have a Chameleon with asym net and asym top cover and use it from time to time. It really is a comfortable hammock for me.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have one asym GE WBBB XLC and two sym GEs DH Sparrow and SLD Trail Lair. As a full time hanger, my personal preference is for the sym GEs because I am able to shift positions seamlessly without the hassle of flipping the bug net, and I do so quite a few times a night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    The symmetrical net will give you a more open feel in the hammock. Let’s the body of the hammock relax along the sides. And the ability to change lay direction. I switch back and forth throughout the night so it works great for me, with either a wide chameleon or trail lair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    And no the lay isn’t better with an asym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast