Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tarps and seam sealing

Hi all, newbie hammock-er wannabe here with another question. I’ve been looking into a tarp in case I end up liking the hammock I ordered and would then be throwing more money at it. The next thing that would be a “must” for me would be a tarp. HOWEVER I am noticing all the tarps I’ve looked into only supply a tube of seam sealer, which I believe requires the buyer to waterproof the seams themself. Is this correct? If so, why would a tarp maker go through all the trouble of sewing a product together and leave one of the most important details to the end user? Why not just sell a bunch of material and ask the user to put the dad gum thing together him (or her) self? Are there any tarps that come already sealed? I am not the artsy crafty type and can see this being a major disaster. When I was researching dyneema tents I chose the tarptent stratosphire LI because it already came seam sealed over a less expensive one. I would pay a bit more to have it done for me. Why do you all put up with it?
    And thanks for the links for shuga’s videos, (dang spell correct I still get k-pop videos if I don’t watch out). But that juggling is kinda creepy. Will sleeping in a hammock be a signal to carny types? Will I wake up with some sort of talisman under the hammock in the morning?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    That seam sealer is pretty sticky and for the makers to seal every tarp they make they would have to have enough room to have them all open while the sealer dries which would increase the cost dramatically. Most of us would rather pay less and do it ourselves although some makers do (or used to) offer seam sealing as an added price option.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Usually the seam sealer is for the pullouts, not the ridgline. For my WB Thunderfly and Superfly, I had to seam seal the side pullouts but the ridgeline was fine.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
    Hi all, newbie hammock-er wannabe here with another question. I’ve been looking into a tarp in case I end up liking the hammock I ordered and would then be throwing more money at it. The next thing that would be a “must” for me would be a tarp. HOWEVER I am noticing all the tarps I’ve looked into only supply a tube of seam sealer, which I believe requires the buyer to waterproof the seams themself. Is this correct? If so, why would a tarp maker go through all the trouble of sewing a product together and leave one of the most important details to the end user? Why not just sell a bunch of material and ask the user to put the dad gum thing together him (or her) self? Are there any tarps that come already sealed? I am not the artsy crafty type and can see this being a major disaster. When I was researching dyneema tents I chose the tarptent stratosphire LI because it already came seam sealed over a less expensive one. I would pay a bit more to have it done for me. Why do you all put up with it?
    And thanks for the links for shuga’s videos, (dang spell correct I still get k-pop videos if I don’t watch out). But that juggling is kinda creepy. Will sleeping in a hammock be a signal to carny types? Will I wake up with some sort of talisman under the hammock in the morning?
    Well....most tents have to be seam sealed by the buyer too. Warbonnet tarps require no seam sealing on the ridgeline. Though you need to seal the panel pulls if you have them.
    And yes, sleeping in a hammock may bring out you buried freak.
    Shug
    Creepy juggler and carny.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Ah, thanks for the ‘splainin, I guess if need be I could bring myself to dab some sealant on pullout areas on the side, although I’d rather not. Still would look for a product that comes fully sealed.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ah, thanks for the ‘splainin, I guess if need be I could bring myself to dab some sealant on pullout areas on the side, although I’d rather not. Still would look for a product that comes fully sealed.
    It is very easy. Embrace the task.
    Even a carny can do it...haaaaa
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    If you get a Warbonnet Thunderfly without pullouts or a Minifly which doesn't even offer them, your tarp will require no seam sealing. I have a silpoly Minifly and love it so far. I also have a silnylon Superfly that I sealed the panels on and it was a very straightforward simple 5 minute job, either way you go you should be fine.

Pullouts vs non pullouts advantages to either? I hadn’t considered this feature.

It does seems warbonnet has the most convenient options though for the least fuss.
    Last edited by Off Trail; 11-16-2020 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It is very easy. Embrace the task.
    Even a carny can do it...haaaaa
    Shug

]

Uhhhhh.......no. I’ll take a pass on the gooey mess and rubber gloves. I’d rather have drips coming out the side holes. Thanks for the post though. Appreciate all your thoughtful replies.
    Last edited by Off Trail; 11-16-2020 at 11:45.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast