DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
    Pullouts vs non pullouts advantages to either? I hadn’t considered this feature.
    Opens up the tarp. Since you don't like knots, go without. They are handy though. Another solution is to get the internal pole mod for tarps that have that option.

Uhhhhh.......no. I’ll take a pass on the gooey mess and rubber gloves. I’d rather have drips coming out the side holes.
    It's not that much of a mess. Put on the gloves, apply a little seam sealer on the sewn thru threads, work it in. Add a little more, work it in. Flip up the fabric, apply a little seam sealer, work it in. You go camping, and you consider this messy?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can see Warbonnet Thunderfly spread with pulls and top spreader bars in video below at 11:27 in.....
    Opens up the space. Can help to tie out when winds ate strong and hitting your tarp sideways.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Pullouts vs non pullouts advantages to either? I hadn’t considered this feature.
    The advantage is that you can tie the sides out and have more room under the tarp which is nice if you get stuck in a prolonged rain or high winds. They are also nice for winter months to help the tarps shed snow better. The disadvantages ofc are having to seam seal, not as simple to pitch vs tarps without(if you intend to use the pulls), more guy lines deployed or added weight/bulk of poles to carry.

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    You could go the same route you went with your tent and get a DCF hammock tarp, no seam sealing required.

Images
    All that said, most any tarp will eventually need re-sealing no matter what.

Its a simple thing to do: just lay the tarp on the floor and brush the goo into the seam. Allow to dry. Done.

If you would rather be dripped on, well, ok ... but be careful what you wish for. Your regret will set in at about 2:30am on some dark and stormy night.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    simply light designs (https://www.simplylightdesigns.com) seam seals his tarps for you at no extra charge when you buy a tarp from him.

I'm with you I bought a tarp from UGQ outdoors that I choose not to pay the extra money to have them seam seal it and I regretted that decision and I will not buy another tarp that I have to seam seal myself. I had to do it outside so I was having to fight the wind while doing it, it would have been different if I had the room and table big enough to do it inside but I don't.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    As a relative newbie to this stuff, I can say that having to seam seal a tarp that you bought for the primary purpose of keeping you dry really makes no sense at all to the newcomer.

Kind of like getting a hammock with no continuous loops on it. Or a new TV with no power cord. A car with no battery. You get the picture.

I am glad that they generally come with a tube of sealer - it’s a hint that you should figure out what it’s for! . My first cheap Amazon tarp didn’t have that. I didn’t find out that I needed to seal the seams until after I got a little wet.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    I find seam sealing quick and quite easy IF I make my own. In a Dixie cup I mix (by weight) 1 part pure clear silicone (they sell small roll tubes akin to toothpaste tubes) to 5 parts mineral spirits (NOT the green/eco variety, as it gums up). I paint it in with a small disposable foam brush and, once dried, it doesn’t show. Work it good down into the stitching holes, apply it when you first get the tarp before it has a chance to get dirty, and ponder about how satisfying it will be to sit high and dry under it in a massive downpour.

In terms of having to seam seal your own tarp, remember that we’re primarily purchasing hammock gear from relatively local cottage vendors. The build quality and low weight are both excellent for the price. The process of seam sealing/taping en mass is not something cottage vendors can really provide. In fact, in my research of silnylon/poly shelters made by such vendors here in the states, quite nearly all either require the buyer to seam seal the shelter or offer the service at an additional charge. It’s the nature of niche, direct-from-the-manufacturer gear, as opposed to big box/chain retailers.
    Last edited by 4estTrekker; 11-16-2020 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    simply light designs (https://www.simplylightdesigns.com) seam seals his tarps for you at no extra charge when you buy a tarp from him.

I checked out that site, way too many scary options there which I have no idea what they are. Too overwhelming.

I do think having the pullouts is a good idea, if deployed wouldn't the drips roll down the tarp and not onto the hammock? but buying a length of cord and cutting it and tying it to the individual pullouts is beyond my skill set. As mentioned, I can't tie a knot if my life depended on it, and it has indeed; ( trying to tie a "quick release" knot on a restraint attached to an out of control patient who proceeded to knock me across the room due to my poor knot tying skills).
    I like the top pole idea.
    Where can I look at dyneema tarps? The problem with that fabric is it doesn't compress and takes up a ton of space in the pack.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Where can I look at dyneema tarps?

hammock gear has them: https://hammockgear.com/dyneema/
    and
    Dutchware has them: https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...mposite-tarps/
    There's magic in the woods,