OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors

Woman sues Eagles Nest Outfitters after paralyzing accident

Woman sues Eagles Nest Outfitters after paralyzing accident:
    https://www.snewsnet.com/news/woman-...711ab-29147603

Gotta admit, I can see both sides on this. No way would I consider a chimney to be secure enough (at least, not mine, ha ha), but the marketing campaign could be quite persuasive to the right people. We all know how many hammocks -- especially ENO's -- go out into the world to be misused and abused. Thinking of the typical guitar-string-tight, 4ft off the ground setup. But then again (like the lone comment points out) what outdoor product is not marketed with a certain amount of risk? And most come with no instruction on use -- and that's fine.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Definitely mixed emotions. And strong ones.

I feel terrible for the girl. Nobody deserves to become a quadriplegic ... for any reason ... even if they do bring it on themselves due to ignorance or negligence. I can sympathize with (though never truly understand) the angst, anger, uncertainty, and fear she must be struggling through. Personally, I can't imagine a more terrifying situation to be in. It's just horrible!

I also am of the strong opinion that many in our country (particularly younger generations) have moved farther and farther away from taking responsibility for their own actions in day-to-day life. As a rule, I am rarely sympathetic toward people who try to deflect blame onto others. In some ways, this hammock accident reflects a larger societal issue. Increasing litigiousness is just a symptom. My other knee jerk response was "Here we go again."

Please note that I'm very consciously not making any judgments about this particular situation. I haven't seen the Eno ads so I can't judge how misleading they may be. I don't know how the girl actually hung her hammock or anything about the expected strength of the chimney. I'm painfully aware that I don't have all the facts and am not in a position to judge who has the greater share of responsibility for the outcome in this situation. I don't want to start (and won't engage in) any heated discussions along those lines. That's NOT why I'm posting.

I simply wanted to share that the article generated some immediate and very visceral emotional responses within me and these were mixed and maybe a bit conflicting. How can I feel sympathy for her and not feel sympathetic for her at the same time?
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    There’s a decent chance that she has to sue them to get her medical insurance to pony up.

Regardless, a marketing campaign where customers are encouraged to hang their Enos in risky ways “share pictures of hammocks hanging in unusual places, including rooftops," is just asking for trouble and is a step beyond their usual irresponsible marketing.

I won’t cry if a lawsuit makes Eno rein it in and stick to pretty pictures of responsible hammock use.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    ENO marketing in this instance seems (I don't know 'cause I didn't see it) to play into the whole trend toward narcissistic "Instagram moments" that have led to deaths after falls from various precipices, particularly the Grand Canyon. Overall, at least 259 selfie deaths from 2011 to 2017.

I'm sorry for this young woman but also sympathize with manufacturers who have no control over what consumers do with their products after they're purchased. No doubt ENO and others are thinking twice about depicting their products being used in precarious situations.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-07-2020 at 09:27. Reason: to correct period for reported deaths
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    I can't help but think of the risk involved in even "responsible" hammock use. Having been hanging hammocks in the woods for 14 years now, I notice certain things that I probably would have never noticed before. More than once, when I have hiked to a place where I hiked and hung before, sometimes after some big storms but sometimes after calm, and there lies a large branch or even a fallen tree. Sometimes right across a place where I have previously hung. And these have occurred without the stress placed upon the trees by me hanging from them.

But even discounting those rare times that I find something large enough to hurt that has fallen where I once hung, the main thing I notice is an endless war zone of dead fall, where large branches and entire healthy looking trees have fallen. Big enough to definitely injure and even kill.

Sometimes it is hard to even find a few square feet of ground where a limb or tree has not fallen. Now, true, most of those branches are really old, and may have fallen years ago. But the point is, sooner or later, no matter where you are, something is coming down on that area. And I have seen so many healthy appearing trees toppled. They were either rotten on the inside, or the entire giant root ball is pulled out of the ground. And if I had been sleeping in the path of those trees, not good.

And then there is the devastation caused by an ice storm that came through here about 30 years ago. Out on my fav hiking trails, in addition to entire trees toppled or split in half, limbs a big in diameter as my torso, sticking up vertical, having speared the earth to a depth deep enough to hold their weight up. That was before my hanging days, but not soon forgotten.

I have hit the dirt a couple of times over the years, once from a failed suspension connection at the hammock, and twice from simply failing to sit down in my hammock correctly after getting up in the middle of the night, confusing the edge of my hammock with my UQ. Those hurt a little bit, but there were times in the Rockies that I could not find 2 "safe" trees that did not have a rock sticking up, which if fallen on even from just 2 or 3 feet above, would have led to significant injury. So I attempt to pad them with my pack, or try to hang so that the rock is under my legs rather than my butt, back or head.

But there is risk, just as there is hiking in the woods and on steep trails. Which, for me, led to BB58's rule put into practice for over a decade: I search for the smallest trees available that are big enough not to flex, and as far as possible fro big trees with big branches. Do I often find a spot that fits that rule perfectly? Nope. But I always try.

Lastly, there were two trees, a bit too far apart ( about 21 feet) that I would rarely hang from in my back yard. One day, we realized with great surprise that one of the trees had died, when it's leaves went brown way earlier than the other tree of the pair. So we paid some folks to remove it, which they planned to do by first using a heavy machine to pull it over, exposing the root ball. The tree snapped in half a few feet above the ground. It was rotten in the core, with hollow areas. It always seemed healthy to me until the end, and I had hung from it just a few months previously. fortunately for me, I almost always used a stand because the trees were really a bit too far apart.

Be alert! There is some risk!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    Regardless, a marketing campaign where customers are encouraged to hang their Enos in risky ways “share pictures of hammocks hanging in unusual places, including rooftops," is just asking for trouble and is a step beyond their usual irresponsible marketing.
    I think that's the kicker. Normally I would totally stand behind the manufacturer since the consumer needs to use good judgement and follow directions (do they include any?). But this moves things into a gray area due to marketing a "challenge". Make fun of the buzzkill legal departments all you want, but this is the kind of stuff they often prevent before it even happens by being overly cautious.

I wish I could see the original campaign on Instagram or wherever it was posted.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I strongly sympathize for the girl, thats tragic, but im so tired of the sue-everyone-for-my-own-bad-decision mentality. She should obviously have her bills covered, but a chimney falling on her is not NEO's fault, even if a somewhat ill conceived marketing campaign contributed slightly. Or maybe its 10% eno's fault, but that should be reflected in a small judgement against them.

Now all the ENO hammocks will only come in 1 pattern: "Legal Disclaimer Multicam"

I mean if ENO is liable for that, check out some of the pics from redbull. only about 1/2 of the people have climbing gear backups
    https://www.redbull.com/us-en/12-gre...g-your-hammock

As with any outdoor activity, common sense and sound judgement must prevail. Even in the event both are used, sometimes unforseen and tragic things happen that arent really anyone's fault...

Good reminders about safe practices hanging though

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Which, for me, led to BB58's rule put into practice for over a decade: I search for the smallest trees available that are big enough not to flex, and as far as possible from big trees with big branches. Do I often find a spot that fits that rule perfectly? Nope. But I always try.
    That's my first consideration, too. Number two is paying attention to prevailing winds and landforms. It's surprising how often both rules can be satisfied if that's what you're looking for. Young trees favor protection from strong winds, too. A legal product warning might say, " User is responsible for finding a safe hanging site sheltered from strong winds and with healthy trees 6" to 10" in diameter and thus less likely to drop large branches."

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Going by the write-up...
    Her choice/mistake to hang off her brothers setup after he saw the companies marketing...sounds like all three are responsibility for their bad choices in some way.

Being paralysed is heartbreaking, lifelong & expensive...so sueing for money, if successful, eases that hardship...rightly or wrongly.

Heartfelt sadness goes out to the women who is now paralyzed from the neck down...
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've always felt ENO's Photo Contest was an invitation to be sued. Idiots hanging over cliffs, bodies of water, etc. - just irresponsible. ENO is encouraging stupidity and the piper has to be paid at some point.

Though I have to admit, hanging off a chimney is just plain stupid!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast