Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's wrong with my ENO?

Hello all,

Actually, there's nothing wrong -- that I know of. But I've had it for six years now, and while I sleep it in comfortably, I've begun wondering what exactly makes the difference between ENO's and other, "better" gathered-end hammocks.

If I were to upgrade, maybe to a Chameleon or a Blackbird or another cottage vendor's hammock, what difference would I see? Some appear to have nice features, like a shelf for storing gear at night, but is there a significant difference in comfort?

For what it's worth, I sleep very well in my DoubleNest. It's the only hammock I've owned, so I don't know anything different. My only annoyance is the amount of fabric -- I call it a "coffin effect," which makes it difficult to see out of the hammock and sometimes drapes/falls over my face.

For what it's worth, weight is not an issue. I use the hammock either for car camping or, most often, for trips to the Boundary Waters in northern MN, where a few ounces' difference in weight doesn't matter much at all since the hammock is riding in the bottom of the boat 99% of the time.

Thanks, all!

Carmike

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    There's nothing wrong with it if it works for you.

As a backpacker of the UL inclination and one who needs a bug net, my fave is my DH Darien, which checks all my boxes.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think it was designed as more of a lounging hammock. They are wide and shorter.
    But if you can sleep it it then snooze on! I sleep better in an 11' but when I go to my 10' I always find I sleep just as well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I think it was designed as more of a lounging hammock. They are wide and shorter.
    But if you can sleep it it then snooze on! I sleep better in an 11' but when I go to my 10' I always find I sleep just as well.
    Shug
    That's a good point. My fave Darien is 10' in length but the width is 64" as recommended by the Dream Hammock gurus for my height 5'9". Also an asym net so less material flippity-floppin.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    There is nothing wrong with Eno for your application.

It's probably more like what isn't right, and most of that doesn't matter a scratch as long as it suits you and your needs.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you sleep well in your ENO, there's nothing wrong with it for you. I have tried sleeping in similar hammocks several times, and never could get really comfortable. Mostly due to the fairly stretchy "parachute" fabrics these manufacturers use, but length is a factor, too. If you are happy with your ENO, stick with it. Unless you're curious and don't mind potentially spending money on new hammocks. It's certainly cheaper not being curious

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Asany said if it works for you nothing is wrong.

With many of the cottage vendors you get a big range of option to choose from, type of material, single or double layer, different lengths, different widths, pull outs, peak lofts, type of suspension, etc..

So technically you can get a more comfortable hammock if you know what will work for you.

You can definitely get more storage options as well with some of these vendors.

All that said if you are happy, then you can save money and keep doing what you are doing

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    There's nothing wrong with your ENO. There's also nothing wrong with a sirloin steak. But once you've had a dry-aged ribeye, you may not want the sirloin anymore!

I'm joking of course. But honestly, that's kinda how it is for most of us. I felt totally comfortable in my Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro when that was all I had. But when I upgraded to my Dream Hammock Raven, there was no going back. It was a different level of comfort. That's not to say everyone will have the same experience. But there is definitely a reason why the majority of us have upgraded our gear over time.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with your ENO. There's also nothing wrong with a sirloin steak. But once you've had a dry-aged ribeye, you may not want the sirloin anymore!

I'm joking of course. But honestly, that's kinda how it is for most of us. I felt totally comfortable in my Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro when that was all I had. But when I upgraded to my Dream Hammock Raven, there was no going back. It was a different level of comfort. That's not to say everyone will have the same experience. But there is definitely a reason why the majority of us have upgraded our gear over time.
    See, that's what's got me curious. I've read of this happening countless times, so I'm curious about what precisely explains the "upgrade."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I still have an ENO in my quiver, but I only use it for hanging near the lake and taking a nap. I will say that adding a structural ridgeline has helped a little, if that's something that might upgrade the kit for you.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast