Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with your ENO. There's also nothing wrong with a sirloin steak. But once you've had a dry-aged ribeye, you may not want the sirloin anymore!

I'm joking of course. But honestly, that's kinda how it is for most of us. I felt totally comfortable in my Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro when that was all I had. But when I upgraded to my Dream Hammock Raven, there was no going back. It was a different level of comfort. That's not to say everyone will have the same experience. But there is definitely a reason why the majority of us have upgraded our gear over time.
    See, that's what's got me curious. I've read of this happening countless times, so I'm curious about what precisely explains the "upgrade."

Thank you for all the replies, everyone.

Someone mentioned the stretchiness of the ENO fabric. It certainly is that. I'm an oversized dude, and that thing really sags when I sit in it. Obviously, I accommodate that by hanging it higher, but that can be challenging if trees are farther apart than ideal. Might something with less stretch be more ideal for an ox-like human (me)?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by carmike View Post
    Thank you for all the replies, everyone.

Someone mentioned the stretchiness of the ENO fabric. It certainly is that. I'm an oversized dude, and that thing really sags when I sit in it. Obviously, I accommodate that by hanging it higher, but that can be challenging if trees are farther apart than ideal. Might something with less stretch be more ideal for an ox-like human (me)?
    Indeed it might, but until then just use a hiking pole or a stick to push that suspension up a little bit higher on your trees.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Indeed it might, but until then just use a hiking pole or a stick to push that suspension up a little bit higher on your trees.
    ....I thought you were going to say to support ME.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Might something with less stretch be more ideal for an ox-like human (me)?

Depending on how tall/wide you are, maybe/yes/probably.

A properly sized hammock with firmer material and a structural ridge line (for consistent sag) might provide some needed contrast. Might be a good idea to contact the good folks at Dream Hammock and give them your height/weight info and see what they recommend. They have ready-to-ship Freebird hammocks for $75, which will give you some idea of how well a good vendor hammock can perform.

If it turns out you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it easily on HF and recoup a large portion of the price. Nobody is going to buy an ENO or Grand Trunk or typical Amazon stuff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Ok, I do think I might give that a try. Thank you for the help!

Hammock
    Dutchware / Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Webbing
    The eno is a marginal hammock. A marginal hammock will make some people uncomfortable, but will work fine for others. It depends on how heavy you are, how tall you are, and how you like to sleep.

I can sleep in my Eno if I need to, but I havent in years. For myself, a six foot tall user at about 250lbs, my Dutchware and Dream hammocks are signifigantly more comfortable, and more convinent with the bugnet options for when I am tired of Mosquittoes.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A lot of people started (and some stayed) with the ENO. As they gained more experience, maybe they wanted more features, different color/fabric choices, a larger size, etc. Do you still have the first car you ever owned? And note that many who might throw a little shade on the ENO are themselves sized near or a little beyond the designed norm.

I have a friend that is 6'4" tall and he looks at my gear - hammocks, kayak - and thinks he wants the same thing. I am no longer 5'6" - I think that height measurement thing at the doctor's office might be broken - so there is no way the gear that fits, works best, for me, will give him the same experience.

But just because, "there is nothing wrong" with an ENO, that doesn't mean you shouldn't make a different choice. Everything is a little bit different. Ice cream is ice cream; but, on any particular day, you might prefer one flavor over another. How do you know? Try'em out. Take a little bath on the resale of your gear and consider it the price of education - because I haven't yet seen a Hammock 101 class at our community college.

No matter how much I read, I wouldn't understand that a catenary cut on the edge of a hammock (to save weight/material) would - for me - put an undesirable tight line on the back of my knees when I enter/exit the hammock. But for some, the hammock that was so designed is perfectly fine.

I suppose it's how much "into it" (hammock lore) you want to be.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-21-2022 at 19:06.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I have a Kammock Roo double and it sleeps pretty good. I have a HG net hammock which is now called the Circadian similar to a Chamelion. Both feel good to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12