Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B

Extra tarp

Gentlemen
    I have several tarps, last purchased were poly, I think under 3/4 oz. 3 from Warrbonnet. My question is what would you suggest in the way of an extra poly tarp that does not have a ridgeline but can be tied out from several different locations around the tarp. I have been under rain in my hammock, stuck there. If I had a tarp that could be tied from any direction, I could get out of the hammock, under another tarp. What do you suggest?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As I understand your question, you now want to carry two tarps (clearly not a backpacker, I assume). Your post raises further questions:

Are you sure your Warbonnet tarps are poly? Because I don't think Warbonnet sells poly tarps. They sell silpoly, and silnylon, but I can't find any poly tarps on their website.

Why do you want a tarp without a ridgeline? Every tarp on Warbonnet's web page has a ridgeline.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    As I understand your question, you now want to carry two tarps (clearly not a backpacker, I assume). Your post raises further questions:

Are you sure your Warbonnet tarps are poly? Because I don't think Warbonnet sells poly tarps. They sell silpoly, and silnylon, but I can't find any poly tarps on their website.

Why do you want a tarp without a ridgeline? Every tarp on Warbonnet's web page has a ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    Yes, it is silpoly,

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    Yes, it is silpoly
    The reason for the extra silpoly is to have a separate tarp to sit under while it’s raining. I use one of the regular tarps over my hammock when I hang. At my age backpacking is limited to hiking in and base camp. Usually now trout fishing either on the East fork of the Broad river near Brevard, NC or Burrells Ford on the Chattooga River in South Carolina. I’m 79 young, so I do the best I can with what I have left. The first hammock I purchased was a Hennessy, the one you climb in backwards, back in the 80’s. Went to Clark when grandsons developed intrest and later Warrbonnet. Have bought three of those. Love the xta long one.

The more I think about it, I could have one of the sil’s modifed by a alteration shop with loops sewed at various points on the tarp. If memory serves me two or the silpoly’s are close to 1/2 oz. one I favored had doors and at night you could see light through it. But two others are a little thicker and I don’t use them. Grand’s are grown now with other interest.

I did two short backpacking trips in the Pisga national forest with a group of men from my church three years ago, loaned one of them all his gear, he had never packed before, I did everything setting up for him. The second trip my hammock ripped as I got into it. It was raining cats and dogs about dark after we had eaten. I finished guying his tarp and mine was not guyed on either side, gear was on a poly floor runner next to the hammock. He never wanted to hang close to the others, conversation bothered him, we had to remove some stubble before hanging hammocks, he had a pair of clipper clipping small growth away where we were setting up. Told him it had to be cut off under ground level. Well evidently he didn’t listen. My hammock tore to the ground when I got in. I slept on my backpack that night. He had one end of my hammock, I the other, he let it drag the ground before I could lift it up. So , I have the newest Blackbird now.
    Last edited by BillC523; 11-16-2020 at 03:21.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillC523 View Post
    My question is what would you suggest in the way of an extra poly tarp that does not have a ridgeline but can be tied out from several different locations around the tarp.
    Not a Gentleman, but I'll still answer... Have a look at Dutch's Wide Asym Tarp. If I remember correctly, it has several tie-outs. Contrary to most other hammock tarps, it doesn't have a dedicated ridgeline, so you should be free to hang it as you like it. There are probably a lot of lightweight ground sleeper tarps, that are as light or lighter than any small hammock tarp, and that are more flexible with regards to the set-up.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Oh you want a camp tarp! Yeah, we use the good old Walmart big blue heavy bulky poly tarps with grommets every 4 feet for a big camp tarp for those rainy nights. I think the biggest we've used was like a 16' x 20'. I dunno if any of the go to cottage vendors make something like that, but couldn't hurt to ask. I don't think they'd be able to make it as a single piece of fabric though...but then again, I dunno what the widest fabric they can get.

I wonder what a DCF 16x20 would cost.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Here's an old post where I kinda wanted something like that. A few ideas mentioned:

Small miscellaneous tarp

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the Superfly tarp from Warbonnet and found that I have plenty of room underneath to hang out when it's raining

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I've been using the 20D, silnylon 12' from "onewind" and been happy w/ it so far.
    It has a mid ridge tie as well as the four standard pull-outs on the sides and a mid bottom edge tie. Most of those points have line locks and all of them have shock cord w/ plastic hooks.

We were double hanging under it when hurricane Zeta went through and the edge was over us. 30mph winds and a few hours of down pour. No damage when I checked it later.

Probably bigger than you want, but . . .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast