Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m a belt and suspenders guy so I believe in redundancy - having two things that contribute to the same goal isn’t exactly “multi-function” The problem I have with multi-function is, if the item breaks (or runs out of battery power) you’ve now lost the use of two or more functions. I was thinking of that bike component to the shelter. I’ve seen the ad. When I saw it, I thought - that’s nice - until you want to keep your camp setup and still go biking.

A “real life” example was when a kayaking partner showed me how he didn’t need an extra line to rig up a clothesline to dry some gear; he could just use his tow line. But then, when we went for a day paddle from camp, He didn’t have his tow line because it was - multifunction - being used as a clothes line. We didn’t need to use it as a tow line then, but you bring safety gear not becuase you know you will need it; it’s along because you might need it and the solution it provides to an incident is worth the weight/bulk of carrying it.

The choice of having a pole for the tent - freeing up the bicycle - is certainly up to the owner. But in my experiences, I’ve seen more multi-function go wrong than goals not met because a pack was a few ounces heavier. That said, as a bow to my UL friends, I did buy a titanium spoon this summer (its longer handle might make it more useful than my 20 year old Lexon plastic spoon). But I’m just using it as a spoon and not as a alternate spade to dig cat holes.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    That said, as a bow to my UL friends, I did buy a titanium spoon this summer (its longer handle might make it more useful than my 20 year old Lexon plastic spoon). But I’m just using it as a spoon and not as a alternate spade to dig cat holes.
    LOL! 😄
    But now you have two spoons! The titanium one for food and the lexan one for catholes.

I know what you mean. I have a vintage Jansport external frame packs that are not U.L. but are light AND sturdy enough to carry as much weight as humanly possible. While, I was thinking of going with a zip arc or titanium external. Then I see that I would be spending hundreds of dollars to save less than two pounds. They also would limit my water carrying capacity to areas where water supply is always available.
    I'm sticking with the ultra ergonomic tried a and truly dependable Jansport. It's still high tech comfort carry.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I saw this crappy poncho survival shelter on Facebook, so Jerven is not the only company competing for those bushcraft dollars. And this claims it can be used as a chair too!

https://wildernessinnovation.com/?fb...UvLWZZwDSkEtmU
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Lol! 😄

If my.camp chair isn't at the cottage this week, I'm considering a sheet of plastic and fashioning grommets from acorns and cordage from grape vines.
    That will be the tarp for my pillow seat of moss.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12