Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I like this idea.

I got a new pack this summer. First trip out I slipped scrambling under a downed tree and ripped a hole in the stretch netting on it.

It’s REI so someone suggested that I return it. I said, no way - I suffered to add that character to my pack!
    I never trust a pretty pack.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Been using DCF tents and tarps for a long time with no problems. But I do carry 'proper' DCF repair tape in my kit, and I've read that duct tape will also work.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Shug
    Also beware when somebody pulls stuff out of his/her pack that still has the price tag on it.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    I know that the DCF tarps do not need it, but I put elastic line on all of my tie outs, gives it that extra give incase it needs it, have not had an issue yet.
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12’
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 HSS 0*
    Suspension
    Web/DutchHks/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by kattdogg View Post
    I know that the DCF tarps do not need it, but I put elastic line on all of my tie outs, gives it that extra give incase it needs it, have not had an issue yet.
    I put elastic shockcord on my tieouts, too. It does take a little stress off the pitch. I also carry the dyneema repair tape. As I posted, originally, it has already come in handy.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Yep! Just experienced the same thing. Windy night and either acorns or a small branch put two holes in my HG camo tarp.

Easy to patch but very disappointed that it punctures that easily. Too bad... Not sure I want to trust it in my kit moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    I suppose weight savings for some but cost and issues such as these leave me sticking with my trusty silpoly.

I can't imagine, in our geography here in Colorado especially with all the fires this summer, where falling branches could be avoided. Bummer but maybe old silpoly is your best bet.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I like the soft sound of rain on the tarp. I imagine that you just get used to it after 5 min or so. That’s my primary concern with them - easily repairable holes just add character (as long as you don’t get wet!).

I will get one eventually I am sure, you don’t find many who made the jump say they regret it.

Noise-wise, I gotta say that my silnylon has a much nicer rain-on-tarp sound that my silpoly, but both are acceptable.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldog View Post
    I hiked 1300 miles of the AT, and 200 miles of the LT with an HG Hex DCF Tarp. Probably around 100 nights hanging. No tears, punctures or other maladies
    Must be doing something wrong!

Seriously, I checked your lighterpack link and it was a nice little primer on the UL mindset for making gear choices. And also a comprehensive gear list... I've seen many that aren't quite, uhh, 'there'.

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Seriously, I checked your lighterpack link and it was a nice little primer on the UL mindset for making gear choices. And also a comprehensive gear list... I've seen many that aren't quite, uhh, 'there'.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Well ... I do tend to take care of my gear ... Probably why it takes me so long to pack in the morning ...
    I am a wordy mofo ...

Some of that primer is out of frustration over some's rants as to how they don't understand other folk's "obsession" with base-weight, and suggesting that "worn weight" is just a way to achieve a desired base-weight driven status. And all the stories of folks being asked by someone carrying a UL load if they can borrow something ... And those who suggest the only stat that's important is total weight, and that people worried about pack weight should instead just get some **** exercise and lose excess weight around their middles!

Jeesus ...

On the other side, the UL forums ARE full of folks that appear to be blindly pursuing specific base weights to be able to claim they've achieved what I consider to be arbitrary standards of UL/SUL/XUL. Arbitrary cause they do not take into account mission or wx.

I believe one can learn a lot from the original tenants of the UL philosophy. Looking at everything with a jaundiced eye - Do I NEED this? Do I carry anything else that will do the same thing? Is there a lighter version I could carry that meets my needs? Can I do the same thing with stuff I find in nature?

(I'm not leaving TP at home and wiping my butt with pine cones.)

The load I carry is driven by mission and weather. If I'm packing out to a lake for a week of fishing. I'm going to carry a big frying pan. But I'll carry the lightest I can find that will fry the size filets I wanna put in it. OTOH, I don't need any kinda frying pan while hiking long distance. And I try to do that in the sweet spot of time after the bugs and before the cold nights so I don't have to carry heavier, and bulkier quilts and base layers.

But if I ever do, I have a pack for that ...

Then there's those who don't see any advantage in obsessing over lighterpack type spreadsheets. Guilty. It focuses me on areas where I could lighten my load. It helps me determine if I really can rock that light, frameless backpack. It's why I occasionally think I'll use that DCF tarp with a light bivy, shorty mattress pad and TQ, and leave my hammock at home. That would drop my base weight down into that arbitrarily established 10 lb UL base weight area. Yay!

Nah! Maybe I'll just stuff my pockets with 1.6lbs of random things and call it Worn Weight...
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Shug
    Mine gets a bath now and then...literally. Quite untrustworthy

But it's finally starting to fight back and show some age.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast