Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12’
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 HSS 0*
    Suspension
    Web/DutchHks/Biner

Problems With Durability of Dyneema Tarp?

Anybody experience with dyneema tarp durability? The first time I pitched it was over a JRJ Bear Mtn bridge. The first time I stood up out the bridge hammock, I apparently pushed the spreader bar back, and it poked right through the dyneema. Made an L-shaped tear maybe 16” x 8”. It was user error, of course, but HG folks were great. They repaired it with a large patch quickly at no charge. Can’t ask for better support. Changed to a Chameleon. Solved the spreader bar problem.

Last weekend, I tried to pick a site with no dead limbs. However, in a strong wind, a small (18” long?) limb blew onto the tarp, and a little protrusion on the limb made a hole in the dyneema about the diameter of a pencil eraser. Fixed that with the dyneema repair tape. The following morning I noticed a 2nd, smaller hole on the opposite side of the tarp. Taped that later on when the tarp was dry. So, for the folks with dyneema tarps, is this small hole-tape-small hole-tape scenario fairly common? I’m wondering if my 10 oz. tarp will end up with enough repair tape it will weigh 20 oz.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Yep! Just experienced the same thing. Windy night and either acorns or a small branch put two holes in my HG camo tarp.

Easy to patch but very disappointed that it punctures that easily. Too bad... Not sure I want to trust it in my kit moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12’
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 HSS 0*
    Suspension
    Web/DutchHks/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Yep! Just experienced the same thing. Windy night and either acorns or a small branch put two holes in my HG camo tarp.

Easy to patch but very disappointed that it punctures that easily. Too bad... Not sure I want to trust it in my kit moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    I had a good chance to compare with my wife’s Dutch ultralight xenon winter tarp at 16 oz. last weekend on a little shakedown cruise. Definitely heavier, but it seemed more durable. Half pound vs. durability. Xenon may win out next time. Definitely cheaper.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dyneema is tough on the pull and year but easy to poke through.
    Strengths and weaknesses. Everything had a fail point somewhere.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I switched back to "old" sil for packability.

The ease of repair and light weight w/dyneema outweighs everything but the bigger packed volume.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    RustySpur, I’m an old belt and suspenders guy. One thing I’ve noticed when people discuss these new highfalutin UL (ultralight [lite]) products is they seem to assume the only difference is higher weight - both in their pack and in their wallet. But my experience is, there is usually a durability issue too.

So it’s all balance and decisions - this vs that. For some things, I’m starting to embrace UL - an alcohol stove for example. Just pour fuel in a cup - how simple is that.

For other products - I’ve seen wind shirts that are tissue thin. But they are “tissue” thin - meaning if the wearer brushes up against something, the fabric could tear.

It help me to remember that Mt Everest was climbed in heavy boots and tight weave cotton jackets.

Carrying a tarp that is almost half the weight - especially if actually used in the rain - of alternate fabrics is great when in your pack. But … you already know the rest of the story.

When I get a tear in a piece of clothing and have a friend sew it up, I ask her NOT to match the garment color with thread. I want the stitching to stand out. It’s a story, a reminder, a link to past adventure. So with the patches on your tarp. A few ounces isn’t going to make a difference in your decision to go out - and you will have tales to tell. It’s been known, inspired by the youth of the listener, that sometimes the details of the tale - what actually made those puncture holes, gets a little … modified.

A friend reminded me that scratches on the bottom of my kayak (in Washington, “beach” just means smaller rocks) are smile lines because the boat has been on an adventure. In moderation, tears and rips can be a feature, not a bug.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been using DCF tarps for 8 years. I've had my HG Winter Palace in a storm with dime-sized hail, and 60 mph wind gusts, and it's good as new.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyspur View Post
    Anybody experience with dyneema tarp durability?
    I hiked 1300 miles of the AT, and 200 miles of the LT with an HG Hex DCF Tarp. Probably around 100 nights hanging. No tears, punctures or other maladies
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    When I get a tear in a piece of clothing and have a friend sew it up, I ask her NOT to match the garment color with thread. I want the stitching to stand out. It’s a story, a reminder, a link to past adventure. So with the patches on your tarp. A few ounces isn’t going to make a difference in your decision to go out - and you will have tales to tell. It’s been known, inspired by the youth of the listener, that sometimes the details of the tale - what actually made those puncture holes, gets a little … modified.

A friend reminded me that scratches on the bottom of my kayak (in Washington, “beach” just means smaller rocks) are smile lines because the boat has been on an adventure. In moderation, tears and rips can be a feature, not a bug.
    I like this idea.

I got a new pack this summer. First trip out I slipped scrambling under a downed tree and ripped a hole in the stretch netting on it.

It’s REI so someone suggested that I return it. I said, no way - I suffered to add that character to my pack!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >I suffered to add that character to my pack!

Exactly!
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast