DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
    Thanks for that; and here I would have just thrown the dang thing in there and got in it who knew there was more than one way to get into a sleeping bag?!
    Why don’t hammock makers have attachment points for top quilts? My quilt has straps that attach to the sleeping pad (as I believe they all do) so why not make use of them? Would having loops of fabric inside the hammock be scratchy or some other annoying property? Like the Princess and the Pea, do you notice every projection and attachment digging in to you while you sleep?
    This is where the underquilt comes into play. The underquilt will come up the sides of the hammock. The top quilt just needs to be on top of you at that point, but you can tuck it in if you get cold. In my normal Florida hammock camping, I just drape the top quilt on me. If I get cold, I'll snap the neck end and tighten up the draft collar and tuck it in.

With the quilt straps, I always ran them under my sleeping pad so I wasn't laying directly on them. In a hammock, you'd just be on them. I probably wouldn't notice them. I lose my corded headphones all the time and find I'm usually laying on them. The lowest point in the hammock is around your butt so stuff tends to slide down to there.

Another question about the sleeping bag in the quilt which I thought of after watching the video. Wouldn’t you tend to slide off the hammock if enclosed in the sleeping bag? At the hospital, one strategy to move patients around the beds is to put a slippery material between them and the bed and they slide around quite easily. It kinda looks like the slippery outer material of the sleeping bag would do the same, thus dumping the user into the ground (or rolling the hammock over) in the middle of the night....is this a thing?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
    Another question about the sleeping bag in the quilt which I thought of after watching the video. Wouldn’t you tend to slide off the hammock if enclosed in the sleeping bag? At the hospital, one strategy to move patients around the beds is to put a slippery material between them and the bed and they slide around quite easily. It kinda looks like the slippery outer material of the sleeping bag would do the same, thus dumping the user into the ground (or rolling the hammock over) in the middle of the night....is this a thing?
    Don't over-think it until you try.
    Just don't hang your foot end low or you will slide that way.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If it makes you feel any safer .... I've only ever seen one person fall out of a hammock, and I'm a boy scout leader in a troop full of hammock users.

The scout that fell out of his hammock has also performed famous feats such as losing a single shoe on a hike (yes, one of the ones he was wearing, and no, he did not know he lost it until some time after it was lost), breaking a camping fork, and losing his dinner plate immediately after washing it.

You almost have to try to fall out once you're in one.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    OffTrail, A “fall” that may eventually happen - a rite of passage so to say - is, you’ll go to sit down in your hammock, but only grab your Underquilt and/or under quit protector.

As your leg muscles are controlling the descent to sitting, and those “supporting” items have some bungee stretch (albeit light), the descent leans towards the slow/gentle/embarrassing side fo the scale.

But once in the hammock, you are IN the hammock.

Unless you are Lucy demonstrating why you always hold the front and rear edges of a bridge hammock when entering/exiting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8fJ05SSSDA
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-18-2020 at 14:27.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

That’s hysterical! Thanks for the video.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    It might be - strike that, it is, then again I'm in Canada - a bit late in the year to try things out without an actual UQ but you definitely don't _need_ one just to try things in general. My first hammock experiences were in summer and I fell asleep in the hammock by accident in the evening. No top quilt or anything and definitely no underquilt. Woke up at like 4am feeling a bit chilly from below

Used a simple blanket underneath me in the hammock after that. As temps got lower added a blanket on top. At some point used my 6C rated sleeping bag. Then rigged that as a UQ.

All that just to say: sure there are the standard and established proper accessories but if you really just want to try if it's for you go with what you already have. All of the above I did with a cheap Amazon hammock the wife got for chilling in the yard.

That said I'm hooked and I have a WBBB XLC now. Hammock gear Incubator UQ will be delivered by Santa and I'm writing this from my hammock that is strung up in the basement on a DIY Tensahedron stand (EMC conduit).

Good luck in your journey and keep watching Shug's videos. You will learn a lot and personally I just find them soothing. I found myself just watching Shug for hours the past couple of days instead of my Netflix shows

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    I used to camp in tents, and while the sleeping comfort of a hammock can't be beat, I really missed having the privacy and space of a tent.
    So, I bought a kelty 16ft tarp that basically makes an A-frame tent that my hammock floats inside of. I usually have an end open or the side in porch mode, but it can be all closed up for winter. The tarp is a little big and heavy for backpacking, but it's also a fair bit cheaper than most. If you're not as tall (I'm 6ft), or as worried about winter (I'm in canada) than the 12ft might be a better option.
    20200920_095632.jpg20200822_130023.jpg20200822_125928.jpg20200717_203546.jpg20200717_203255.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That sucker is HUGE, ay. I bought one after I saw some kayak guides use a Noah 16 to create a gathering/social area (pre-COVID) during a rainy day. No problem carrying it in a kayak. On your back - a bit of a commitment. I have some of the larger REI collapsible poles and figure if I run two guy lines off each pole, they will support the tarp over a picnic table if one or both trees are missing. Being outside, in the clean, sweet rain, and not getting wet, is pretty dreamy.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234