Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hammock??!! Well I never.....

Hi all, I am interested in the hammock idea, but have never ever even came close to one... I have been a tent camper/backpacker and am I intrigued at the idea reading the posts here; the past several trips have been not good sleep wise in my Big Agnes copper spur with the AXL Air insulated pad, as of last Few months I’ve been sleeping cold and really not sleeping at all, where previously even in the Alps I have slept well even in Zermatt Switzerland at altitude. I am 5’4 and 112 pounds; since I have zero chance of seeing a hammock up close I ordered one off amazon which is made in the US; a ridge outdoor pinnacle 180 hammock and should get it next week, just to lie in one and check out if it is comfy; my question is, is this a reliable comparison to the equipment I would logically take on a backpacking trip in the Midwest? Should I have gone for the warbonnet right off the bat? Will my choice of a budget hammock ruin me to hammock camping if I don’t like it? I have a top quilt I’ve been using which is 20 degrees and not warm either. I am wondering 1. If hammock sleeping will be warm enough and 2. If hammock sleeping will be more comfy than the tent. I value privacy since I hike as a solo female. So I would need to eventually get a full length tarp if I persist.

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Welcome to the Hammock World././/. First thing a would recommend is watch some of Shugs's video's,,,,,, He is great..... Have fun...
    hqdefault.jpg

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    A buddy of mine has one. It's decent, definitely better than a lot of the ENOs and Amazon hammocks you see. That Pinnacle 180 is similar in size (11' length/58" width) and features to my Dutchware Half Zipped (zipper on one side). The Pinnacle is a symmetrical hammock (left or right lay), where my Half Zipped is the older model that is asym/right lay (head left, feet right). Looking at their website, it appears they've done some upgrades. The stuff sack is double ended and not sewn to the hammock body. Also, the ridgeline is now UHMWPE. IIRC, the one my buddy has was paracord. He swapped it out with a 110" fixed ridgeline from Dutchware, along with replacing the stock continuous loops with Amsteel loops. I think it also had pack hooks, so it should work with shock cord suspension underquilts. Honestly, for $50 it ticks all the boxes for a camping hammock.

As far as your questions go:

1. Depends on the temperatures you camp in. You say you have a 20F rated TQ and "not warm either"...is that comfort or survival rated? Down or synthetic? What brand? Also, you a cold or warm sleeper? You're gonna need something to keep your back warm...maybe start with a pad, but you'll find an underquilt much more comfortable.

2. I find it way more comfy. I can't sleep on the ground anymore, but that's me.

If you find that the hammock might work out for you, when it comes to tarps and privacy...look for tarps with full doors, such as the Warbonnet Superfly, the SLD Winter Haven, the Dutchware Winter Tarp, et. al.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Welcome to the Hammock World././/. First thing a would recommend is watch some of Shugs's video's,,,,,, He is great..... Have fun...
    hqdefault.jpg
    Link to Shug on Youtube. Prepare.....you can spend hours watching him have fun in hammocks, have fun with toys, have fun with music...have fun

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    A buddy of mine has one. It's decent, definitely better than a lot of the ENOs and Amazon hammocks you see. That Pinnacle 180 is similar in size (11' length/58" width) and features to my Dutchware Half Zipped (zipper on one side). The Pinnacle is a symmetrical hammock (left or right lay), where my Half Zipped is the older model that is asym/right lay (head left, feet right). Looking at their website, it appears they've done some upgrades. The stuff sack is double ended and not sewn to the hammock body. Also, the ridgeline is now UHMWPE. IIRC, the one my buddy has was paracord. He swapped it out with a 110" fixed ridgeline from Dutchware, along with replacing the stock continuous loops with Amsteel loops. I think it also had pack hooks, so it should work with shock cord suspension underquilts. Honestly, for $50 it ticks all the boxes for a camping hammock.

As far as your questions go:

1. Depends on the temperatures you camp in. You say you have a 20F rated TQ and "not warm either"...is that comfort or survival rated? Down or synthetic? What brand? Also, you a cold or warm sleeper? You're gonna need something to keep your back warm...maybe start with a pad, but you'll find an underquilt much more comfortable.

2. I find it way more comfy. I can't sleep on the ground anymore, but that's me.

If you find that the hammock might work out for you, when it comes to tarps and privacy...look for tarps with full doors, such as the Warbonnet Superfly, the SLD Winter Haven, the Dutchware Winter Tarp, et. al.
    I have an enlightened equipment enigma 20 degree; previously I used a western mountaineering 20 dew green bag which was warm enough. I don’t want to yet invest in an under quilt until I know if the hammock is something that will work out. And I don’t do knots by the way, so there’s that.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I don’t have a 180, but have slept in their 360 which is basically the same body with more zippers and some line updates. It’s a comfortable hammock in my opinion that will give you a great experience.

The only adjustment I made was to shorten the ridgeline on mine a bit. I don’t think they stretch them and it seemed a bit long after it had been used a fair amount. I tied a few knots in it and it was right back to 110 or so.

The cottage hammocks are amazing - my Darien blew me away with the stitching quality and attention to design detail. Everyone on it is just too notch and it’s so big and comfortable inside. Best $120 or so Ive spent in a long time! Those hammocks will be there for you when you feel its time for another.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    You made a great choice of hammock. I started with a $20 Walmart "Camping Hammock with bug net" from the clearance bin that I used a thermarest pad in for exactly one night before I went to Costco and bought a couple of down throws to make into top and underquilts. They are fine down to about 45-50 degrees.

I won a 20 degree underquilt at a raffle at a group hang from Jacks R Better. Great guys and a fantastic quilt. I bought a 20 degree Econ Burrow from Hammock Gear. between the two sets, I can camp three seasons.

Tarps. Just bite the bullet and get a tarp with doors. Unless you're an ultralight person, get silpoly not silnylon. Silpoly doesn't stretch as much.

Suspension. Tree straps are a must. The last thing you want to do is hurt the trees. Since you don't like knots, I use Beetle Buckles on dyneema straps from Dutchware.

I hope you enjoy the ride. I, too will not go to ground. I camp out of my kayak and bring a Tensa 4 stand so I always can sleep in comfort off the ground.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    hqdefault.jpg
    I tried doing a google search but the results kept coming up with a k- pop band. My iPhone auto corrects to “suga”....

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
    I tried doing a google search but the results kept coming up with a k- pop band. My iPhone auto corrects to “suga”....
    try shug merry.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post

Suspension. Tree straps are a must. The last thing you want to do is hurt the trees. Since you don't like knots, I use Beetle Buckles on dyneema straps from Dutchware.

I hope you enjoy the ride. I, too will not go to ground. I camp out of my kayak and bring a Tensa 4 stand so I always can sleep in comfort off the ground.
    The hammock should come with straps, it was listed on the item site. It looks like they are the “daisy chain” type. Also it looks to have the dyneema type ridge line, if I’m saying that correctly. I have no idea what it is like to lay in a hammock, I’m looking forward to setting it up. For some reason lately I’ve been sleeping colder than usual. My trip this past summer to the PNW mt rainier and the north cascades were really cold. Had to wear all my clothes plus rain gear to bed. The high divide trail especially. I’d like to try off the ground, just not with fabric all up in my face though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast