Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks for all the good advice! I’m looking forward to setting it up after I get it this week in my day off, weather is supposed to be in the 70’s.
    The reason I don’t do knots is because 1. I suck at them and 2. My hands are getting the early beginnings of what I think might be arthritis and I’m finding it harder to undo knots or have really fine motor stuff, especially when cold. And forget about sewing or making homemade stuff, that’s a recipe for disaster, I’ve never been an artsy crafts type.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Keep in mind that there is a learning curve to hammocks. Be patient and enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Experience is the best teacher. Bring your new hammock with you wherever you go and practice setting it up on a variety of terrain and trees. Then stretch out, even for 5 minutes, to see how distance between trees, ground slope etc can impact the hang. This will also give you the opportunity to practice with your knots or hardware and build muscle memory for when you go camping. But make it fun: it’s a hammock not the window washing rigging on a high rise building! Don’t over think it.

You’ll eventually want an UQ. Took me 2 trips to realize that and I don’t regret spending the money. You can take your time with everything else. Watch the aforementioned videos. You might also learn how to play the mandolin and build a backyard smoker!!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice! I’m looking forward to setting it up after I get it this week in my day off, weather is supposed to be in the 70’s.
    The reason I don’t do knots is because 1. I suck at them and 2. My hands are getting the early beginnings of what I think might be arthritis and I’m finding it harder to undo knots or have really fine motor stuff, especially when cold. And forget about sewing or making homemade stuff, that’s a recipe for disaster, I’ve never been an artsy crafts type.
    No knots? You need Dutch Bling:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...mock-hardware/

https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...tarp-hardware/

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post

You’ll eventually want an UQ. Took me 2 trips to realize that and I don’t regret spending the money. You can take your time with everything else. Watch the aforementioned videos. You might also learn how to play the mandolin and build a backyard smoker!!
    Is there any reason why I couldn’t (on a temporary basis just to try it out) attach my regular quilt on the underside of the hammock and use a sleeping bag inside the hammoack?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Is there any reason why I couldn’t (on a temporary basis just to try it out) attach my regular quilt on the underside of the hammock and use a sleeping bag inside the hammoack?
    Yes, you can. It may be challenging to rig it so there are no gaps/drafts, though. Discusses the issues: http://www.leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/levquilt.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One thing I've learned about the hammocking world .... there's almost nothing that can't be done, but that includes ways to mess up. I've found myself doing some of the dumbest things that still make me shake my head.

And I've seen some of the simplest and most amazing solutions work out (i.e. tensa stands) that have just blown my mind.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For sure use your bag~~~
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks for that; and here I would have just thrown the dang thing in there and got in it who knew there was more than one way to get into a sleeping bag?!
    Why don’t hammock makers have attachment points for top quilts? My quilt has straps that attach to the sleeping pad (as I believe they all do) so why not make use of them? Would having loops of fabric inside the hammock be scratchy or some other annoying property? Like the Princess and the Pea, do you notice every projection and attachment digging in to you while you sleep?

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My opinion against attachment points for topquilts (take it for what it's worth, which isn't much):

A hammock is almost the ultimate personalized customizable camping option. I will lay in my hammock completely differently than the next person. Some of us are left lay sleepers, some right lay sleepers (heck, my son is a right down the middle banana sleeper), and almost everyone lays at some personal, different angle. Often, that angle differs slightly with each hang, as I surely don't get the exact same hang angle and height every time out. My topquilt lays with me on the same angle that I find that I like on each camping trip.

There's definitely a large fiddle factor at first. However, once you get the hang of it (see what I did there), you'll want it no other way, and be able to get the perfect lay each time with little to no fuss. However, finding how to reach that sweet spot every time is the fun part of the journey for many on here. I love hammocking because I never really get to know it all, and there's always something new to try out, learn, and improve upon. Then again, my nature is to fiddle with things and figure them out all the time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast