DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Shug's channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Take a look at his beginners playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...752777861C2AA8

There is a learning curve in setting up a hammock...it's gonna take some time, so be patient. At least you're starting off with a decent hammock. You got some trees about 13-17' feet apart in your yard? Without an underquilt or pad, you're not going to get much use out of it but at least you can practice with setting up and working out any issues (calf ridge and/or shoulder squeeze).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
    I tried doing a google search but the results kept coming up with a k- pop band. My iPhone auto corrects to “suga”....
    https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi all, I am interested in the hammock idea...
    In addition to watching Shug's videos, pick up a copy of Derek Hansen's book, "The Ultimate Hang." I'll link to his page below, where you can check out his Hammocking 101 posts as well.

http://theultimatehang.com/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post

There is a learning curve in setting up a hammock...it's gonna take some time, so be patient. At least you're starting off with a decent hammock. You got some trees about 13-17' feet apart in your yard? Without an underquilt or pad, you're not going to get much use out of it but at least you can practice with setting up and working out any issues (calf ridge and/or shoulder squeeze).
    I have lots of trees, just most of them are western cedars. But there are some maples spaces out enough I believe. What is this shoulder squeeze? Sounds very unpleasant. Right now I’m mostly going to figure out if I am comfortable laying in a hammock as opposed to the ground, and can maybe work out the warmth issues second. I might end of feeling too squished or closed in, idk. That’s why I was wondering if the initial hammock would give me the correct impression so I wouldn’t give up because I had a bad product to start with; it seems it will be a good starting point though.
    I’m a side sleeper in bed, but I regularly fall asleep in the recliner (usually after a long shift and with a cat on my chest) and find myself not wanting to get up, so maybe back sleeping in a hammock could work...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubators
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you want to love your hammock, don’t wait to get an underquilt. It will make a huge difference in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have lots of trees, just most of them are western cedars. But there are some maples spaces out enough I believe. What is this shoulder squeeze? Sounds very unpleasant. Right now I’m mostly going to figure out if I am comfortable laying in a hammock as opposed to the ground, and can maybe work out the warmth issues second. I might end of feeling too squished or closed in, idk. That’s why I was wondering if the initial hammock would give me the correct impression so I wouldn’t give up because I had a bad product to start with; it seems it will be a good starting point though.
    I’m a side sleeper in bed, but I regularly fall asleep in the recliner (usually after a long shift and with a cat on my chest) and find myself not wanting to get up, so maybe back sleeping in a hammock could work...
    Side Sleeping is easy enough I think. But everyone differs.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    What is this shoulder squeeze? Sounds very unpleasant.
    If you hang the hammock too tightly (not enough sag), you can run into it. Also, if the hammock is undersized (which yours is not) it can be a problem. Basically, the hammock material on the sides of your shoulders is pulling in towards your body, squeezing you.

The solution is to have more sag (that 30 degree hang angle for the suspension) and laying diagonally across the hammock. The only times I had issues with shoulder squeeze were on shorter (10' or less) and narrower (couldn't really get diagonal) hammocks....the ENO and Amazon and Walmart hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If possible - kinda difficult in winter, I know - find a place to hang in/around the house (mine is just outside the front door). You can use it for short naps and reading. Your body will learn it can relax more because there aren’t as many pressure point issues. Even though I’ve slept days and days in a hammock, if I’ve been out of one for a while, that first night is usually a little weird. But that’s true for all first nights - even in a fancy hotel room.

As far as privacy, the key word is not “full length”; it’s “doors”. The doors are extra fabric at the ends of the hammock that stake out perpendicular to the walls so they close the ends. With the sides of the tarp down low, and the ends closed (plus the blockage from the trees) only your feet/ankles, if that, might show. Transparency of the tarp fabric, especially if you have a light inside, might be an issue - depends on the tarp color and fabric.

My camping experience is, people understand privacy and if they know someone is getting dressed, they aren’t going to come over and start a conversation or try to peek.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Ridge pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    DIY 12’ hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, 20* bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    That is the hammock that I first purchased that started my addiction. Read through the forum and watch as many hanging videos as you can about hanging. If possible, hang it in your yard and start playing with the hang angles, ridge line and position. I jury rigged an old sleeping bag under it with bungee cords and netting because I wasn’t sure if I would like it and didn’t want to spend money on an UQ (nighttime temps were in the upper 20’s). The first night I slept better than I ever have on the ground. I played with the hang angle (had the straps a little tight) and shortened the ridge line about an inch and the second night I slept better than I do in my bed.

If you hang a decent hammock and nap in it, you'll likely be super comfy. Staying comfortable for an entire night is where practice and knowledge really shines. Some nights, you just mess it up, and you notice it when you try to sleep. Knowing what you did wrong is key, and you eventually stop messing up. Once you get a few good, warm night sleeps under your belt, you understand the goal better and are able to work through future issues as they arise.
    Last edited by binfordw; 11-15-2020 at 16:29.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast