Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies

New UQ: Cedar Ridge Convector vs. HG Incubator

Hi!

Looking to do a little "load lightening" and also get a good setup for winter as well. Currently have a 20 degree HG Incubator. I like it - no problems there. I'm looking to pick up a 40 degree UQ now. That let's me lighten my load for summer as well as have a backup UQ "for a friend" to teach them about hammock camping.

Anyway, I'm looking to pick up a 40 degree UQ and here's the question... Which one?

I like my HG Incubator and their site suggests a weight around 16 oz for one. Both inside and outside layers are 10D and the shape of it will of course be tapered toward the feet a bit. I've heard good things about Cedar Ridge yet they don't list a weight for a 40 degree UQ. Reading their site, sounds like the outer fabric is a 15D and the UQ is not tapered - meaning it will have a bit more weight. I can get it in the color (or even a printed fabric) which is kind of nice though. As weight is one of my major decisions (with insulation quality high up there too) - can anyone offer me any information on:

1) Weight of a 40 degree Cedar Ridge Convector?
    2) How well it does vs. temperature?
    3) Any other company suggestions for a 40 degree UQ that's around a pound?

BTW, I did say weight was important, but I'm not interested in a 3/4 length UQ. Still want a full length one... Thanks!

Images
    I don't have any experience with CRO, but I'll add another consideration for a 40° HG Phoenix. Personally I don't have any full length UQs with ratings above 20°. I love my 40° Premium Phoenix - probably my favorite UQ overall. Mine has 950FP +1oz and has a total weight of 12.02 oz.

Oops, I jumped the gun and missed your last sentence.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I don't have any experience with CRO, but I'll add another consideration for a 40° HG Phoenix. Personally I don't have any full length UQs with ratings above 20°. I love my 40° Premium Phoenix - probably my favorite UQ overall. Mine has 950FP +1oz and has a total weight of 12.02 oz.

Oops, I jumped the gun and missed your last sentence.
    Don't your feet get cold though? At least I find mine do if they pop off the underquilt while I'm chilling out even in weather in the 60's and 70's.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unicornv007 View Post
    Don't your feet get cold though? At least I find mine do if they pop off the underquilt while I'm chilling out even in weather in the 60's and 70's.
    My 3/4 length UQs mostly end around mid-calf. I have a sit pad I use inside the footbox of my 40° TQ which has a sewn footbox. I rest my feet on that, and between the small pad and the TQ, I've not had cold feet. I can still pop a leg or two out of the footbox if I want to, for venting. I also have a 50° TQ which has a snap/cinch footbox, and typically only use that with my 3/4 length 50° UQ when it's warm enough that I don't really need to add the pad.

With 3/4 length UQs, I always make sure the primary suspension on the foot end/side of the UQ is running over the TQ and not under my legs or feet. Doing that ensures no huge gap at the end cinch of the UQ and keeps the UQ in place without much fear of slipping off or anything like that.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by unicornv007 View Post
    My feet would always get cold. I finally got a pair of down booties - changed my cold sleeping life. Then I got a down balaclava, oh my!

These combined are a dynamo duo worth consideration in my book.

• + New Posts