Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles

Need help picking tarp.....

I'm currently looking for a hammock tarp to buy. I have a dutchware chameleon hammock and I think I want a 11 or 12 foot tarp most likely with doors. Im kind of thinking about either a Dutchware wide, Ugq tarp or a hammock gear tarp. I didn't know if anyone has any suggestions or pros and cons to these tarps or using doors or not. Thanks

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    I've been very happy with my Warbonnet tarps, I own a Superfly and a Minifly and am very happy with both. As far as doors go that'll depend on the conditions you camp in and personal preference but I really like the shorter beak style doors that come on the mountain, thunder, and minifliy but my superfly with full doors is also great for really ugly weather or extreme cold.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Sil nylon, sil poly or DCF? Sil fabrics compress better, but weigh more than DCF. Sil nylon is more durable than sil poly, but it holds more water and stretches/sags. DCF doesn't have those issues.

I really dig my WB Thunderfly with the end beaks vs full size doors. But I also have a WB Superfly. They are both sil poly.

If you go with a hex tarp, I'd go with either the 11' or 12'. Tarps with doors, go for 11'. Your tree straps will be more affected by the 12' tarp, forcing you to pitch it higher (compared to an 11') to clear the straps. IMO, a hex tarp is only good for showers and rain, but not for windy conditions. You can still cope with wind and wind driven rain, but site selection plays a bigger role. If the storm is blowing in from the direction your tarp ends are facing, you'll want those doors.

Images
    Dutchware, Warbonnet, UGQ, Hammock Gear, Simply Light Designs - I own or have owned tarps from all these vendors and I will say that none are really better or worse than the other. They are all very similar to one another when looking at comparable products, although in some cases minor differences set them apart. UGQ uses grosgrain on all the hems, for example, and there will be some dimensional variance from one vendor to the next. FLTurtle mentioned the material options: Dutchware works with silpoly and DCF; Warbonnet - silpoly and silnylon; UGQ - silpoly (maybe silnylon?), Hammock Gear - silpoly and DCF; SLD - silpoly and silnylon.

I'd base the decision on price (likely there are some sales coming up!), lead time, in-stock availability (if lead time is a concern), and choice of fabrics if you want something unique. Simply Light and UGQ offer the most customization options. I am partial to Hammock Gear DCF tarps, but if that's not what you're looking for, check all those vendors and see what appeals to you.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-11-2020 at 09:47.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I agree with all the above, and would further suggest that 15D or 20D silpoly is a good choice of material because it doesn't stretch as much and is reasonably lightweight and durable.

A hex tarp (no doors) is my go-to about 90% of the time. I've used it in some fairly nasty weather, but it must be pitched right down to the hammock SRL for max coverage and oriented properly for the wind, which can be a bit challenging to achieve when you're just getting into hammocking and tarping.

This looks rather awkward but was in fact a very comfy hang... took a few tweaks to "work the angles"! ....

winter_simple_hex_tarp_small.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    A question and a suggestion:

Q: What is your experience level with tarps in general and tarps with hammocks?
    S: If you're new to either, I'd suggest picking a less-expensive starting point to learn on before dumping a lot of money on DCF. For example, Hammock Gear has a $99 sil-poly tarp that is more than sufficient and a good place to start. If you read the various tarp threads here, you'll see that many/most people end up with more than one; for example, one with doors for colder weather, one without for summer.

I have the HG tarp, it came as part of a kit. It's perfectly serviceable and I'm still learning different ways to pitch it. With the pre-installed Linelocs it's literally the easiest thing to deal with when setting up camp. It stretches and sags a little bit under steady rain, but not so much that you're getting wet or bothered by it. I'm 'stepping up' to a DCF version with doors for the colder weather but will keep the sil-poly version.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If you camp other than during summer in Pennsylvania, I would recommend a tarp with doors. An 11' tarp is most desirable, not 12'. Silpoly is probably the best bang for buck when considering performance vs cost.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I agree with all the above, and would further suggest that 15D or 20D silpoly is a good choice of material because it doesn't stretch as much and is reasonably lightweight and durable.

A hex tarp (no doors) is my go-to about 90% of the time. I've used it in some fairly nasty weather, but it must be pitched right down to the hammock SRL for max coverage and oriented properly for the wind, which can be a bit challenging to achieve when you're just getting into hammocking and tarping.

This looks rather awkward but was in fact a very comfy hang... took a few tweaks to "work the angles"! ....

winter_simple_hex_tarp_small.jpg
    No kidding about "right down to the hammock CRL" on that one!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I kind of feel like i should get doors because besides the extra weight i can tie them back if i want it open. I also like the style of some of the WB tarps with the like half door things. I think Im trying to get a sil poly to save money as its my first tarp.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    A question and a suggestion:

Q: What is your experience level with tarps in general and tarps with hammocks?
    S: If you're new to either, I'd suggest picking a less-expensive starting point to learn on before dumping a lot of money on DCF. For example, Hammock Gear has a $99 sil-poly tarp that is more than sufficient and a good place to start. If you read the various tarp threads here, you'll see that many/most people end up with more than one; for example, one with doors for colder weather, one without for summer.

I have the HG tarp, it came as part of a kit. It's perfectly serviceable and I'm still learning different ways to pitch it. With the pre-installed Linelocs it's literally the easiest thing to deal with when setting up camp. It stretches and sags a little bit under steady rain, but not so much that you're getting wet or bothered by it. I'm 'stepping up' to a DCF version with doors for the colder weather but will keep the sil-poly version.
    Im brand new to hammock camping. I have a continuous ridgeline with dutch wasp to use with my tarp. And im leaning towards the HG 11" sil poly hex tarp just to start out with Because its a good price and then see where i go from there. Im also thinking about getting an UQ from them as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast