Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki+TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Marlin

TQ Sizing Assistance Please:

Здрастуйте from Ukraine,

My time in Tajikistan is up and looking forward to what seems like a lot more hanging friendly country.
    Unfortunately, my down sleeping bag didn't make it out of Tajikistan (someone there needed it more than I did) so I need a replacement and the prices for good bags are so high I might as well invest in a decent top quilt and seeing as I already dropped a ton of cash on warbonnet gear last year I might as well round out the setup with a top quilt from them too.

Problem is there are so many options: Length/Fill/width/overfill/fabric types etc. that I don't even know where to begin and when I chose the longer/wider/higher fill etc. choices the TQ ends up being over $500 which, to be honest, is quite outside of the realm of reasonable for my unemployed due to covid ***.

So please help me out. I am 184cm tall, medium built, sleep pretty cold, I have a 0degree Fahrenheit Wookie, and plan to sleep in sub-zero (Celsius) conditions here in Ukraine.

Thanks!
    Solvitur ambulando

Quote Originally Posted by nicolaasdekker View Post
    seeing as I already dropped a ton of cash on warbonnet gear last year I might as well round out the setup with a top quilt from them too.

Problem is there are so many options: Length/Fill/width/overfill/fabric types etc. that I don't even know where to begin and when I chose the longer/wider/higher fill etc. choices the TQ ends up being over $500 which, to be honest, is quite outside of the realm of reasonable for my unemployed due to covid ***.

So please help me out. I am 184cm tall, medium built, sleep pretty cold, I have a 0degree Fahrenheit Wookie, and plan to sleep in sub-zero (Celsius) conditions here in Ukraine.
    First off, here's a link to Warbonnet's size/fill chart which may help you out:
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...Spec-Chart.pdf

184cm is just a bit over 6 feet tall. Warbonnet's chart says their regular length quilt will fit up to 6 feet tall, so you might want to go with the long version to be certain. At your height you're right on the cusp between regular and long lengths. The regular width seems plenty wide since you describe yourself as medium built.

PS - Love the tagline. Solvitur ambulando indeed.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki+TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Marlin
    Thanks for the quick answer Drew, BTW I've been enjoying following you on Instagram.

Thanks, not sure how I missed that spec chart... I'm one of those guys now.

My tagline is more true now than ever since I'm relegated to only walking for the rest of my life.
    Solvitur ambulando

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If you might sometimes be sleeping on the ground and/or augmenting your temp rating with bulkier clothing layers, the wider version might be desired.

Many times I have used a 20deg *TOP* quilt at a much lower temp (down to -6°F) by sleeping in down parka and down pants (and other layers). Not a lot of people do this, or even consider it a viable option.

I would not do this with an UNDER quilt. Bottom layers get compressed and are ineffective, so there's no way to significantly "cheat" on UQ rating with clothing... it might boost rating a few degrees, but I wouldn't depend on it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I do the same as cmoulder. I already have down pants with me for piddling around camp in those temperatures so I might as well just wear them to bed. Heck, they are even warm already.

On top quilts I suggest getting one that will reach to the top of your head, once I am laying down it is comfortably to my chin without pulling it tight. I also check footbox sizes. If it is too tight my toes make a cold spot where they are pushing on the fabric. A 44" circumference footbox is perfect for my size 11.5 feet.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    I'm 6'2" and 186 lbs and I have a long, 55" wide 20° diamondback with 850 + 1oz 950 with draft collar and I couldn't be happier.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I'm about your height and went with a Hammock Gear Econ Burrow 20 degree long and wide top quilt. It cost me $234- and was in stock so no waiting. I'm very glad I got the oversized one in booth dimensions as I often find I've pulled it up over my head to keep warm at night and it's nice to have a little room to tuck it in around my shoulders.

I have no relationship with HG other than being a very satisfied customer.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    You can buy an Arrowhead Equipment
    (https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...dTopQuilt.html)
    White Cloud Top Quilt for $ 240 that is long and wide (57-58 inches) rated to 15 degrees. It’s synthetic but synthetic has its place in hammock camping too.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    Привет, дружище!

Quilts from https://hammockgear.com/ have good quality and pretty reasonable price.
    As for myself I love my https://ugqoutdoor.com/ Bandit quilt . It cost a little more but there is good true comfort temp rating and some bells and whistles as well.

Cottage companies like above have great support and you can always aske them what size is better suits you. And Brandon from warbonnet are will gladly help you to choose TQ, warbonnet have a great support even for overseas clients as we )

What I can tell about sizes of Top quilts. It depends of which sleeper are you(back,stomach,side) ? Are you planning to use TQ only in GE hammock or an ground as well ?
    Do you prefer to pay more for lighweight gear ? If "no" here is no really need for down FP more than 850.

And if you planning on using quilt in colder conditions you will need some kind of down bonnet or hat to keepein your head warm and cozy.
    Last edited by shichimi; 11-17-2020 at 03:57.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki+TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Marlin
    What is the opinion on zippered vs sewn. Seems the zipper version doesn't have much of a footbox owing to not being squared off. I tend to struggle with cold feet but like the extra versatility of having the zippered version.
    Solvitur ambulando

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast