Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    For Red River Gorge you have several great options.
    Hanson's point. Doing the loop from the Grey's Arch Parking lot around to Hanson's point and Grey's arch is a great trip. It is outlined here.

Another is a little further down the road from Grey's arch, Auxier Ridge trail with Double Arch and Courthouse rock are interesting features with great views. The trip is outlined here.
    As others have said a car hang tag is required but is only $3 for 1 night and $5 for up to 3 nights. No tag needed for day only visits only for overnight backwoods camping. Make sure you check the NF web site for closures. Auxier ridge could be closed if snow covered.

In Ohio do not miss The Hocking hills. This will be camp ground camping and day hikes, but the gorge, Cedar Falls, and Ash Cave makes a nice 12 mile round tip hike. Details here: Note: Their point 3 camping spot is illegal as dispersed camping in the park is not allowed. This area is too small and fragile to condone stealth camping.

Also there is Zaleski State Forest: The trip shown here, is a nice 1 night loop and it takes you to the old "Haunted" Moonville rail tunnel. Note: There are two potentially waist high creek crossings, at mile 9.8 ans 10 on the map. These can be avoided by following the creek bank along the north side for 1500'. Little bushwhacking but not bad in winter. Then again the creek may be low... I went in Spring.

Shawnee, Marietta, Wildcat Hollow are all also good. If going through Dayton area make sure to book a day for the National Museum of the US Air Force. 5 huge hangers of the history of military Aviation, including an SR-71, B-70, F188, WWI and WWII, etc. also included are the retired Presidential planes including the plane that flew Kennedy home from Dallas and where LBJ took the oath of office. Really cool stuff and all free. Contact TrailHeadz Hammocks also, as they are nearby in Bellbrook, OH.

Just some ideas.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Adding to the Hocking Hills area, make sure you check out Conkle's Hollow for a day trip. Beautiful.

I miss the Hocking Hills area since we relocated to the Piedmont.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    10×10 DD hammocks
    Insulation
    Diy down top
    Suspension
    Webbing w/rings
    Charles Deam Wilderness near Bloomington Indiana seems to be one of the most popular places to backpack. The Sycamore Loop is good, I love the Peninsula Trail myself, and I haven't explored the Axom Trail much yet but I've heard good things, all are in Deam. Great for hammocking since hang options can be limited at state park campgrounds.
    Fake it 'til you make it!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for all the replies. Just got back. Had a great time just wasn’t able to stay as long as I wanted.

Red River Gorge in Kentucky is worth another trip someday. I could spend a week hiking there.

Didn’t camp in Ohio my gear was wet from hiking and camping in the cold Kentucky rains and conditions were slushy.

Knobstone trail Indiana was just a cool trail. More elevation than I though and very pretty farm land surrounding.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12