Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Even in the low 30's I prefer sleeping in the buff. I make sure I have warm enough sleeping gear (UQ, sleeping bags - I use them like TQ and layer them for the cold, and liners) I'll usually have thermals in the hammock with me to put on if I get cold at night but most often I don't.

I sweat a lot. I've had my sweat soak through my pack and get the stuff inside wet. Even when it's cold, I'll work up a sweat. In the summer, I try to plan to camp near someplace that I can take a dip. Even if it's just sitting in a pool and dumping water over me. During colder weather I use a quick drying small hand towel and give the 'critical areas' a rinse with some water that's been heated. I'll have another small towel to dry off. I do carry soap with me in case I get into some poison ivy, but I don't use it for the nightly rinsing off.

- Clyde

I agree that you should always sleep however you're most comfortable, & simply wash your gear as needed. In my experience, & that of many down gear manufacturers, proper down wash regularly will maintain the efficiency of your down better than never washing your down.

If you don't love the hours of effort & want to reduce the frequency of this necessity while sleeping in the buff, I would recommend a silk sleeping bag liner. Smooth feel on the body, adds a few degrees of warmth, & will keep your grubbies off your TQ.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    DocW - when I'm in the SE kayaking rinsing off works and I have a synthetic TQ, so that seems like the approach I'll use there. I'll probably wash the TQ before heading back west as the TQ stays there.
    Out west in the desserts I'm going to have to take a different approach. Still figuring on that.

Drtolo - I did just order a down 20° TQ for winter and figure I'll probably end up getting some wool thermals to use at that point. I'm not afraid of washing down (been involved w/ natural textiles my whole life) and I'm thinking maybe once a season when I stop using it for the year.
    During the other three seasons I may just use a light wool blanket as a TQ, . . . we'll see.

The hammock should be easy now that I've pulled the buckles and it just has CL's on it. I can probably just do that in a 5 gal while we're in travel mode.

It was mostly the thought of having to use some poly type sleep wear just to keep everything clean that was shorting me out. Now that I've found some natural materials (other than killer cotton) I may be able to deal w/ winter sleep gear, . .. once I can afford such a thing. Summer, that will be a much different story.

I have considered liners but really don't think I would like being trapped in them I may get one to mod into a thin TQ that I can snap into my good TQ w/ just a small foot box.

Some of the silk liners are quite roomy as they're marketed kind of toward luxury car camping & the like. I personally quite like wearing thermals to bed, either the lightest Uniqlo on a budget, or Icebreaker if feeling spendy.

Also, I apologize, I did not mean to imply you didn't know down care. I think my statement was more of a general one, as I've met a few folks that were afraid of washing their down after having bad experiences with loss of loft when using not down specific detergent.

Best!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by drtolo View Post
    Some of the silk liners are quite roomy as they're marketed kind of toward luxury car camping & the like. I personally quite like wearing thermals to bed, either the lightest Uniqlo on a budget, or Icebreaker if feeling spendy.

Also, I apologize, I did not mean to imply you didn't know down care. I think my statement was more of a general one, as I've met a few folks that were afraid of washing their down after having bad experiences with loss of loft when using not down specific detergent.

Best!
    No problem.
    Are those thermals that you mentioned wool, or a synthetic?

The Uniqlo thermals are synthetic, but they can be had for as little as $20 top & bottom, & I find them very breathable & durable. The Icebreakers are 100% Merino, & priced accordingly, about $170 top & bottom.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123