Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

questions why my hammock experience sucks so far

I tried hammock camping I think 2 years back, did not succeed and hammocking gear got put away. Untill this summer, I watched every possible video, read it all... and it still sucks. It sucks because I cannot get comfy in it even when just lounging. I tried everything that does not cost money... ridge line, no ridge line, head end lower, straight, pillow no pillow... and it feels like I dont have enough room around my shoulders and head and I dont feel very stable. Also my back hurts after like 3 hours below shoulder blades. The only reason I can think of is the hammock is too short. or too wide. Or I just suck at pitching it right.

Hammock is TTTM double, 10.5 feet long and 78 inches wide. I am 6 feet 2 (187 cm) and 200 pounds. Is the hammock short? could the width be a problem too? how do I trouble shoot when the weather sucks (I picked great month to try and solve this)

I kind of want to try bridge hammock because I sleep like this but less cute http://www.sassquach.com/journal/201...-superman.html
    do bridge hammocks come in different sizes too? what size would fit me?
    Also I might be repeating myself a lot from the last post but idk how to check.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    First I am 6’ 1” and like to sleep on my side with a camp pillow. I use several hammocks and from you message I can tell you that you need a 11’ long and the ridge line helps setting up consistency. I would tell you I would look at the warbonnet XLC or dutch gear chameleon but the big thing would be use pull outs on both side of the hammocks where your shoulders are. This will eliminate the squeeze feeling and helps in sleeping on your side. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Just a guess but I am thinking that 10.5' is end to end and if you measure the actual hammock length it's about 9 or 9.5' which is IMO too short for you.

If you want to stay in a gathered end hammock and want to go cheap to try it out, try a DIY table cloth. HERE is some instructions on how to do it which involves no sewing and limited cost. Thread even has a place to order from.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    While not 100% sure, I'm guessing that your hammock is a triple-panel design, similar to ENO, Grand Trunk, and most other hammocks available on Amazon. If that's the case, I would recommend switching to an 11' hammock that uses a single rectangular piece of fabric for the body. This makes a world of difference in terms of reducing the cramped feeling around your shoulders. The triple-panel design is not actually a rectangle, and it doesn't spread out as well when trying to lay on a diagonal.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money, check out the Ridge Outdoor Pinnacle hammock on Amazon (link below). It's an excellent hammock for the price. I would not recommend getting a bridge hammock yet, until you are able to try a better gathered-end hammock.

https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Ultr...s%2C207&sr=8-5

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Not sure what your hammock needs are, but you can get a netless hammock from Dutch wear very inexpensively in 11 or 12 foot. I prefer those to the built-in net hammocks because I most often don’t need the net and it’s just an all around better experience for me. If you need the net more often that not, probably better off with one that is built in.

I used a 10’ for years without a ridgeline just to lounge in and was shocked at how much more comfortable an 11 footer was. I do find that sitting or lying across the width is fine in those smaller unusually wider hammocks.

The hammock makes a huge difference as others have said. We started with some “good” cottage gear hammocks, and when we switched to roomier hammocks later it was much better.

I can’t say I’ve had shoulder discomfort, but I did used to get some heel pain. Different hammocks made that go away for me.

Images
    Sanity check: you're not sleeping on your stomach in the hammock NOW, are you? Because that's just never going to work.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    All of the advice above is great and from people with more experience than I. I’m 6 foot 2 and 210 lbs. I had similar issues getting settled in an off-the shelf hammock from REI. I thought, “What’s all the hype about sleeping in these while camping because they are awful!” I think my post is on this site somewhere, but the advice I got was to get an 11 foot single sheet hammock designed for camping, not lounging in the yard. I went with a Hammock Gear Wanderlust, which includes the hammock, suspension and tarp. EZ, peezy. I get a good night sleep but there is a bit of a learning curve (also a video by Shug, that guy is prolific!) to getting everything dialed in.

You mention “pitching it properly.” Watch Shug’s videos and, more importantly, don’t stress to much over it. Got sag and you’re not falling on your butt? > you’re on the right track.

Is there another hammocker near you that you can get some first hand guidance from?

Finally, maybe it’s just not for you, assuming you’re satisfied that you tried to find a remedy. Not everyone gets along with a hammock, just like not everyone likes a quilt over a traditional sleeping bag.

well duck... I measured the hammock spread out. it is rectangular, but it is 287 cm (9.4 feet) short and 180 cm (70 in) wide. Now I feel stupid not measuring it earlier... well I guess I will have to make my own hammock becuase europe has fairly limited options and I am cheap. extremetextil.de has hammock fabric but the roll width is listed at 59 in. that seems narrow, or is it?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    For sure, that's your issue.. a 9'r for your height is likely to be a brutal night sleep. At six foot plus, an 11'r or 12'r is best. Width is a second choice and in my experience less critical. I am just under six foot and all of my hammocks are 60 inches or less. Your 59 inch width will net you a 57 or 58..

You can sew a DIY XL width hammock in about an hour if you have a machine. Start there if you not inclined to buy one.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast