Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_tom View Post
    well duck... I measured the hammock spread out. it is rectangular, but it is 287 cm (9.4 feet) short and 180 cm (70 in) wide. Now I feel stupid not measuring it earlier... well I guess I will have to make my own hammock becuase europe has fairly limited options and I am cheap. extremetextil.de has hammock fabric but the roll width is listed at 59 in. that seems narrow, or is it?
    Sorry to hear about your struggle. I own and have camped in many hammocks over the last 14 years. As usual, my opinions differ a bit from most. Which is probably because I have always felt that hammocks are sort of like a pair of shoes or pants. What works for one is by no means guaranteed to work for another. I have tried a few hammocks that had a lot of rave reviews by most people, only to find out they were not the hammocks for me.

Also, at 6'1" and 200-226(up and down, 203 at the moment) I am very close to your height and weight. One of my all time favorite gathered end( end channel actually) is a measly 10 ft long by 4 ft wide. ( Claytor No Net) It is also pretty inexpensive. There are a few other folks here who have also found this to be an excellent hammock, along with it's cousin Claytor Jungle Hammock, roughly the same size. So, that goes against most recommendations right there. But I have no way to guess what might work best for you. You just never know until you try it.

However, based on my personal experience, I'm fairly certain that the "extremetextil.de has hammock fabric but the roll width is listed at 59 in." would be just fine for me. Especially if you are going to make it on the longer side. However, looking at your picture of how you like to sleep, if that is what you need in a gathered hammock where you must try and lay across the diagonal, you have some significant challenges ahead of you. Again, strangely, the gathered hammock I have had the best luck with side sleeping and almost stomach sleeping is that 10X4 Claytor. Still, no gathered hammock I have tried is optimal for that.

Hands down, a bridge or 90º hammock is the best for me for when it comes to side sleeping, and would be for stomach sleeping of I ever did that, which I don't. As well as avoiding the dreaded calf ridge. Not trying to lay across the diagonal just seems to make many things much easier, though of course many people still prefer gathered hammocks for over all comfort and weight(no spreader bars). Others, it is bridge or 90º hands down for overall comfort. What would work best for you? I don't know.

But a problem with these non gathered hammocks is expense. Maybe not compared to other high end gathered hammocks, but compared to what you have already done or are planning to do. For example, the Hammock Tent 90. Ultra light, huge shoulder room, extremely flat, zero calf ridge, no spreader bars etc. But expensive, the recent models only have a 200 lb rating, assuming you can even get one, I don't know if they are always available. But an Amok is similar, higher weight rating, might cost less, but still cost a good bit. Then the various bridge hammocks, not cheap. (though maybe the REI bridge costs less? ) Good luck to you on figuring this out.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-06-2020 at 12:13.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    I tried a WB RR and it was ok but not great. I am 5' 9" and 180lbs and I thought the RR was tight at the shoulders and sleeping on my side was not great as my knees just didn't have enough room. I am going to try a Hennessy Jungle Explorer XL and see what a diagonal lay in a somewhat larger GE hammock is all about. I'll use an AHE New River bottom quilt and an AHE Owyhee top quilt for warmth. I plan to try this out in the next couple of days with weather anticipated to be 60 degree high and 35 degree low with some rain. This will be interesting.
    Last edited by Tonopah; 11-06-2020 at 11:03.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There for sure is a learning curve with the hammock quest.
    Hope you find the groove.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks for the replies and all the help, I will go the myog way and make a longer hammock, my mom is amazing and can sew well (she made these topquilts https://imgur.com/a/scl8mi3 ). I found 20d monofill ripstop nylon https://www.extremtextil.de/en/monof...n-34g-sqm.html that is wide enough, but I am not sure if it is strong enough for my weight. (I will use ridgeline if that matters)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the replies and all the help, I will go the myog way and make a longer hammock, my mom is amazing and can sew well (she made these topquilts https://imgur.com/a/scl8mi3 ). I found 20d monofill ripstop nylon https://www.extremtextil.de/en/monof...n-34g-sqm.html that is wide enough, but I am not sure if it is strong enough for my weight. (I will use ridgeline if that matters)
    You don't need a ridgeline but they are mighty handy.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Just double-up the fabric if you think its skimpy.

Don't feel bad about getting regular off-the-shelf ripstop nylon from the local fabric store. These make really solid hammocks.

Hammock
    Darien, El Dorado
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I'm 6 foot 1 inch, 150 lbs. I own 3 hammocks, a Warbonnet El Dorado, an 11 foot Dream "Darien" HyperD fabric, and an 11 foot Dream "Darien" wide Mtn fabric.

They are all comfortable.

However, the Darien gives me that squeeze you're talking about. There is no where to put my right arm (head left, feet right) so I have to put it behind my head to feel comfortable. That inevitably leads to my arm falling asleep.

The El Dorado is slightly better and since I can take the bug net off, it allows me to lay either way, which lets me choose which arm I want to fall asleep. However, Warbonnet wants you to hang the foot end much higher than the head end. This elevates my feet high enough that it makes my legs fall asleep too.

The wide Darien is perfect. I can actually put both my arms down next to me and I can hang it essentially level with itself which avoid the leg issues. I would highly recommend a wide hammock if you don't mind the extra weight.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Forget the 20D fabrics. If you already got back pain in the TTTM, you will get more back pain and shoulder squeeze in lighter and hence more stretchy fabrics. Rather get 380 cm of Ripstop-Nylon, Hammock-Nylon, 70den, 66g/sqm, impregnated. I have made several hammocks from this one, and a lot of people on the German Hammockforums have made hammocks with it - and I have yet to hear one complaint, other than it could be a bit wider.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    I am 177 cm height and stomach sleeper 99% of time with sleeping position "superman" AKA "4" (because hands and legs seems like number four)
    I have only succesufuly slept in this position in AMOK Draumr XL hammock. Maybe if you are dedicated stomach sleeper try bridge hammock or 90 degree hammock (like draumr and similar)

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Forget the 20D fabrics. If you already got back pain in the TTTM, you will get more back pain and shoulder squeeze in lighter and hence more stretchy fabrics. Rather get 380 cm of Ripstop-Nylon, Hammock-Nylon, 70den, 66g/sqm, impregnated. I have made several hammocks from this one, and a lot of people on the German Hammockforums have made hammocks with it - and I have yet to hear one complaint, other than it could be a bit wider.
    Hutzelbein gives solid advice. I took it. Worked out great.
    Add me to the list of builders without complaint; although not German.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast