Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Hi,

I'm completely new to hammocks. Do a fair bit of kayaking so have just bought some hammocks to get into kayak camping. Have been researching over the last few days and bought a Henessey Explorer Deluxe Zip for her and Henessey Safari Zip XXL for me. I'm now looking for an UQ.

Due to budget I'm thinking HG Incubator over Wookie but one worry I have is is a HG Incubator comfortable with asym hammock when left or right lay flat and does it work ok? I hear the wookie is built for that but it's a little over my budget.

Also regarding length, I'm getting full length but she is 5'2 and I am 6'2. Is there any downside to us both getting 6'2 or longer or should we get UQ lengths based on our height.

Quote Originally Posted by alborg View Post
    ...Henessey Explorer Deluxe Zip for her and Henessey Safari Zip XXL for me. I'm now looking for an UQ...she is 5'2 and I am 6'2. Is there any downside to us both getting 6'2 or longer or should we get UQ lengths based on our height.
    If she's 62 inches tall, consider a 3/4 length quilt, though I don't know how the fit of it would be on the Explorer. There's no particular downside to both of you getting a full length quilt, other than weight and bulk in the backpack, if that's an issue. In addition to the quilts you mentioned already, you might check into the Potomac, also by AHE, which is purpose built to fit the Hennessey hammocks. There's also the the Nest and the Winter Nest from Jacks 'R Better. I'll put some links below.

Caveat/Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with either of these vendors; I own products from both and find both highly satisfactory. I don't know if shipping to Australia would be cost-prohibitive.

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...Camping-Quilts

https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product/the-nest/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    HG makes a short incubator. I'm also 5ft 2in and it works fine for me. if you like the design of the wooki and don't mind synthetic check out SLD's trail winder: https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...winder-asym-uq
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I used a HH Explrer Delux with a full length HG 20° incubator & it worked great. Wife uses it when she goes with me on her Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro. She's 58" tall & loves getting lost in the set up. Looks like a squirrel in her nest.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Any UQ will work but the important thing is to set it up properly.
    The Incubator will be fine on the Hennessy.
    If you go with the Wooki make sure you order the proper lay orientation.
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I started with HH hammocks. You may eventually try something else, but there is a LOT you can learn with Hennessy. Your “her” can easily get by with a ¾ length UQ. Depending upon temperatures - summer-ish rather than winter, a ¾ length may work for you too. I’ve found the shorter UQ snugs up at the right places without the concern of my feet creating a gap when diagonal. But I am shorter so very little “exposure” over the end of the UQ.

Note that the Wookie is designed for WarBonnet hammocks - like the BlackBird. That doesn’t mean it won’t work with other hammocks, but its suspension was created specifically for the WarBonnet hammocks.

Also note as a kayaker it is conceivable that you’ll land somewhere with no trees - like a shell/sand beach or rock-ish shelf. So it’s good to have a go-to-ground Plan-B. On one trip I showed my tent-user companion how I could set my hammock up as a bivi. I carry collapsible poles (REI) that support the tarp. I put down a visqueen ground sheet, a ¾ length old Term-a-rest pad (Guide model), and my hammock. The bugnet is attached to the poles to get it off my face.

However - that assumes I’d have good anchors for the poles - may not be the case in sand/shell/rock. So a self-standing two person tent might be part of your camp gear. Usually there is plenty of room in the kayak (especially two kayaks). The hammock will be way more comfortable for sure. But it’s good to have an alternative.

Note that you might be tempted to use the paddles for poles. For me - the paddles are almost sacred. They get me out; they get me home. I don’t want to subject them to anything other than what they are supposed to do - propel the boat (with my help).

When you get your UQ’s have your friend get in the hammock so you can cinch it up just right. Usually that means the long end to end suspension bungees pick the hammock up a little when you are not in it. HG’s UQ’s have both a head end and a top/bottom side. So make sure the head end are top of the UQ are oriented correctly.

In olden days, the ends of the UQ were cinched tight. But I think current feelings are that can create a gap with a diagonal lie. So the ends are a little looser in order to “form fit” the end of the hammock.

Some people find a UQP (underquilt protector like 2QZQ sells) to be useful.

Note that if you haven’t slept in a hammock before, or for a long while, the first night may feel weird as the muscles learn they can relax more than in a bed.

You may want to sleep close to your “her” - often that is done by attaching the two hammocks to the same trees - one hammock coming off the left side of the tree, the other coming off the right side - so you are separated by the diameter of the tree.

Welcome to the forum and hammock camping. There is lots to learn here. Just pick a topic and search.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-07-2020 at 17:16.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I have the Incubator and love it. The other thing to love about HG is their customer service. If you call or write to them they will steer you in the right direction regarding their product.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I have the Incubator and love it. The other thing to love about HG is their customer service. If you call or write to them they will steer you in the right direction regarding their product.
    Totally agree! I recently placed an order with them and had a misunderstanding with a discount based on what I was buying. I was in the wrong, but they took care of me anyhow despite my having no such expectation once I understood.

Amazing company - actions like that make me a long time customer.

Hammock
    ELDORADO!!
    Tarp
    Supa-Fly
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    Cinch and webbing
    Shug,
    With that theory, incubator or wooki? that is my 100% black Friday dilemma. $75 difference, is that worth the no fiddle? I am in the Carolinas is the Wooki going to vent enough? I have watched almost every one of your vids and PM you a few times. Help???

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt... View Post
    Shug,
    With that theory, incubator or wooki? that is my 100% black Friday dilemma. $75 difference, is that worth the no fiddle? I am in the Carolinas is the Wooki going to vent enough? I have watched almost every one of your vids and PM you a few times. Help???
    Hard to tell a feller what to get but the Wooki can be vented. See in the video below at around 6:00 in
    There is always some fiddle with UQs......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast