Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles

Sparrow HyperD XL as wide as possible.

I received my first hammock ever from dream about a month ago. I bought the Sparrow HyperD XL in as wide as possible which is 74" wide. I've laid in it a bunch of times now and just cant seem to get comfortable with all the extra fabric at my head and feet. Plus I keep getting a lot of calf ridge no matter what. I've tried a few different things to fix it with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    What were the things you tried? Usually for calf ridge, it's the foot end height that you have to dial in. For the extra fabric and going wide, how tall are you? 74" wide hammock...that's a lotta material.

I think mine are 58" (DW) and 62" (WB). The calf ridge issues are always with the foot end height. I have to set the WB foot end a lot higher compared to the DW.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Knotty mods for the excess material, might just work.
    It will draw up most of the excess around your face and adjusted just right give you sort of a footbox down around your feet. I started out wide and have gotten narrower with each upgrade.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I'm 6'1" and 230lbs. I've tried having the foot end higher than the head end while keeping the suspension at 30 degrees. I've messed around with my suspension quite a few times now with not much changed. Also I bought my girlfriend the same hammock in the standard 58" wide and we put it up with the ridgeline level and suspension at 30 Degrees and i tried it and it felt way way better for the calf ridge just a little tight on my shoulders but not bad.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I will look into this for sure. Im honestly thinking about selling this hammock and just buying a new one that fits me better and counting it as a loss of some money. but not sure yet.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    With a wide, I’ve found it’s important to get near the middle of it width wise for sleeping comfort. With a more narrow hammock this happens automatically since it’s fairly narrow by comparison.

I have 58 to 68 inch hammocks and find the wider ones much more flexible in terms of great comfort with various lays. More narrow is also comfortable for me with less lay flexibility, but easier in some ways due to that. In other words, I’ve got to get into that one comfortable spot so I have trained myself to find it quickly in those hammocks.

Good luck.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Also, Williamsport! Welcome to the forum. I grew up not far from there - Portland Mills (Ridgway area) if you’ve ever heard of it. Beautiful area.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I have heard of Portland mills but I've never been there. I've been down that way though quite a few times.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I have actually tried that myself. I would center myself in the center of left to right and then rotate on that spot to feet right head left and it was better but i feel like because theres so much extra material it causes a big calf ridge because theres not as much weight distributed across the hammock.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    You might try replacing the ridge line with an adjustable ridge line, like a whoopie riddge line. I have three GEs, a DH Sparrow, a WBBB XLC, and a SLD Trail Lair. I have lengthened the ridge line in all three in order to find what is FOR ME the sweet spot. This may mean that you might not be able to use the net/top cover due to the increased length. I am still able to use the net/top cover on the WBBB XLC, but not the other two as modified. But for me the sweet spot takes precedence. I hang nightly indoors. For the situation when I need to use the net/top cover I can quickly shorten the whoopie ridge line to OEM they will fit. Notwithstanding, I probably would just take the XLC or better yet one of the Hammocktent 90 degree hammocks when a net is required.

You can experiment with shortening the ridge line by taking wraps around a carabiner, but I needed to lengthen the ridge line, not shorten it as some folks do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast