MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Scams and how they tend to work

How do the scams tend to work?
    Scammers will contact a member, often through a private message. They will often request moving the conversation over to email so it is more difficult to track.
    They may agree at first to use PayPal's Goods & Services (G&S) for payment, which gives you the ability to get a refund if things go sidewise.
    Later they may come up with an excuse why PayPal G&S won't work - the bank will put a hold on the money, or they aren't receiving it, or it will be delayed.
    They may offer to have a portion paid with with Friends & Family & the rest with G&S.
    Or the scammer may request you send the money via Zelle.

Scammers tend to use pictures of gear from the internet. You can often reverse image search & find the image has been posted elsewhere.
    They often have very few posts or activity on the forums.
    Sometimes they write in broken english, but there are cases where their english is quite good.

Don't think it can't happen to you. People that are wary & have even required PayPal G&S have eventually gotten scammed as the deal was too good to pass up or the story seemed plausible.

If using the Market Place be advise that scammers may be lurking there. To avoid being scammed
    1) Do not do any transactions via Private Message
    2) ONLY use Pay Pal Goods and Services to pay for items. Never use Friends and Family or Zelle.
    3) Check out who you are doing business with. Do they have other posts? Read them. Have done other business in the Market Place? How long have they been a member?
    4) If a deal sounds too good to be true, assume it is a scam!
    5) Report any suspected scammers to the admin or mods. They will investigate and take any necessary actions

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Giving this sticky a bump... it gives some insight on how scammers are operating.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Tall Paul,, this person responded to my reply to him on the trade forum in a PM to me.

"I have been looking for quite a long time, but my situation has me hard pressed to be able to pay retail. I would be delighted to have the opportunity to purchase from you. I can assure you that should you choose to sell to me, that this will see constant use. Without getting detailed, my sleeping accomodations kind of require it.

My current hammock has my knees in a state of constant hyperextension, so this would be a godsend, as I'm far from short. Thank you kindly for your consideration. I look forward to hearing back from you.""

Does this look like a scam to you?
    Thanks

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Tall Paul,, this person responded to my reply to him on the trade forum in a PM to me.

Does this look like a scam to you?
    Thanks
    Maybe/maybe not. The response is not typical of what we saw. The minute they buy or sell using PP F&F instead of G&S or use any other type of payment method that does not refund $, is your first big clue that something is very wrong and to back away.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hi All,

Not sure if i've been scammed, I run a small hammock business & I opened an email all of a sudden a little black box came up 3/4 times on my computer screen then it went blue & crashed, I'm writing the on my other computer as i'm worried to turn it on, is this someone scamming/hacking me business? I've been reading this but still thought I'd ask, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• + New Posts