Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > Maybe I’ll see error of my ways, when I get to pitch or pack tarp during high winds and rain.

Phantom Grappler, you don’t want to miss that experience. Great fun. Make sure you have a friend take a video so you can submit it to AFHV (Americas Funniest Home Videos). Maybe they’ll give you some money for a new Dyneema tarp … and snakeskins.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Using a carabiner to clip / unclip any random 10 footer w/o tangling is pretty easy. Might be a problem with 20 foot lines - haven't tried that yet. I just kinda wrap the bundle around my hand and shove it into a small baggie. I think there are 13 lines on the pictured clip. That's about the only hardware I use.

I tend to use different configurations when I'm out, (being the odd man on the ground) so remove my guylines after each trip, and sometimes during the trip. Seems no matter what I do, they are always in the wrong spots on my tarp.

IMG_1528 Small.jpg
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Stakes, spare lines and tree straps all go in a zippered cuben fiber taco bag.

Grab a hammock. Grab a tarp. Grab a taco.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Noah 12 for now
    Insulation
    Lynx 0, Spindrift
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyspur View Post
    Does anybody rig Dutch’s tarp flyz’s to the “D” on the tarp edge as suggested by Dutch?

I did, using the shock cord loops to tie the fly’s on with a larks head. I’m using 1.75 zing it for the guy lines.

The question is how do you store the guylines each time you break it down?

If I throw all of them together into a stuff sack, the lines get tangled.

How do you keep the zing it from tangling?
    Snake skins eliminate needing to remove guy lines in my experience. I only run zing it for ridge lines. Lawson Glo Wire for guys.
    I take up to three tarps occasionally on canoe trips if I am not going solo. Each tarp has its own snake skin, and then goes into its own stuff sack, color coded for each tarp.

I also made stake and extra cordage roll up organizers out of the matching rip stop that the color coded stuff sacks were made from. Stuff sacks were sized to accommodate both the tarp in its snake skin, and the stake roll up. Makes it easy to grab the desired tarp, and know that everything needed is in the stuff sack.

My snake skins have pockets on the exterior of each end that have the ridge line stowed. I like continuous ridge lines. Dutch's titanium Dutch hooks on one ridge line end and wasp on the other end of the ridge lines. Each pocket on the ends for the ridge line has different identifiers for determining either hook end or wasp.

Setting a tarp that is in a snake skin is a joy. Especially in wind. Guys unfurl with the tarp, and I can't remember the last time The Glowire tangled.
    Long guys for setting in porch mode, and side pulls stay in the stake/cordage roll up until needed.

When putting the snake skinned tarp into its stuff sack, fold in half, and put the middle of it into the sack first. This allows you to pack it in so that the ends of the snake skin are at the opening of the stuff sack. When you go to deploy, grab one ridge line end, Dutch hook in my case, and attach it to the tree before removing the snake skin from the stuff sack. As you walk over to the other tree the snake skin will unfurl without even getting on the ground.

Snake skins with end pockets, and stiffer guy line gobbled up by the snake skin will make your tarp rigging much more efficient.
    These things have worked for me, hopefully you also will develop a system that will enhance your hammock experience.

I will end this long winded dissertation by acknowledging that without this forum, I would have very limited awareness of this topic.
    Last edited by boatstall; 11-07-2020 at 12:51.
    I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    My guy lines are attached to my stakes permanently. Wrap them around your stakes then done.
    All corners of my tarp have a small piece of zing it attached. No tangled messes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Kitsapcowboy 11
    Tarp
    HG Journey12
    Insulation
    Gemini
    Suspension
    MSHitch->Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I have a small section of shock cord attached to each tie out where the cord attaches to the tarp. I then just roll up the cord and put it in the small shock cord loop to keep it organized. I also do this with the cord when I setup the tarp in order to keep excess cord out of the way.

Looks like this
    Attachment 183080
    I really like this! The pic shows the tail end of the tieout all gathered up while tarp deployed. When stowing do you also put the rest of the line in the same spot with the tail end? Also, does that amount of shock cord work well as a tensioner? (which I realize the line loc is already doing some of that job) and how are you attaching the shock cord to the loop? This setup seems to solve lots of considerations.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by EWest View Post
    I really like this! The pic shows the tail end of the tieout all gathered up while tarp deployed. When stowing do you also put the rest of the line in the same spot with the tail end? Also, does that amount of shock cord work well as a tensioner? (which I realize the line loc is already doing some of that job) and how are you attaching the shock cord to the loop? This setup seems to solve lots of considerations.
    It’s a super smart design in my opinion. It does both keep the excess cord neatly organized in both cases - when deployed and also when putting it into the snake skin. Same in both cases.

I have a better picture of the plastic piece that does the magic of making the sinchable loops for you. I will admit I was confused when I first got this tarp with this kind of attachment, but nowcan’t imagine how to make it better - it’s very convenient and fast.

55EBA803-0CD4-4E8F-8ABD-37667FAF99FA.jpg

749FAF22-9750-404A-B839-292F9E945CBB.jpg -

I’ve seen them for sale, I’ll see if I can find a link. Combined with linelocs, it makes the setup very quick and easy to adjust.

Also, call me a hack, but this is how I attach my main ridgeline - no knots, 2 wraps, hasn’t ever failed or loosened on me yet. I’ve tried all kinds of things, but like this as its so simple and quick to re-adjust. I don’t run separate ridgeline for my tarp - the other end of this attaches to the tarp loop.

B9129A2C-D274-42DF-9402-1E173B972460.jpeg

1DABAC47-7320-4B0E-9D39-A6E59BF37AC9.jpeg
    Last edited by Tpatter; 11-12-2020 at 01:45.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Squeeze Hooks -- Dutchware Gear

Hammock
    Kitsapcowboy 11
    Tarp
    HG Journey12
    Insulation
    Gemini
    Suspension
    MSHitch->Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Squeeze Hooks -- Dutchware Gear
    Thanks y'all - new tarp coming in a week from HG and I'm going to change up my current rigging to look more like this for the new tarp.. can't wait

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12’
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 HSS 0*
    Suspension
    Web/DutchHks/Biner
    Just to follow-up on my original post/question, last weekend on a trip to Hangover in Joyce Kilmer, I just left the zing it on the Dutch Fleaz, and rolled the guys up with the HG Palace tarp, using the snake skins. Worked like a charm. The zing it got a little tangled, but I was able to separate the guy lines late in dusky darkness pretty quickly. I am using orange zing it on one side and red on the other. I also made the red guys 2 feet longer to provide a little flexibility if I need extra length to reach a tree or rhodo, etc. We had a lot of dew/moisture Sunday AM, and I found the zing it dried faster than the dyneema when I hung it up to dry at home on Sunday afternoon. Also, it seemed to me that the zing-it tangles significantly less than the reflect-it line. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!
    Last edited by Rustyspur; 11-15-2020 at 10:05.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast