DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    First, no need to break it down... leave tarp ridge line and guy lines attached. I've never understood the rationale for removing all the cordage, which is only going to be re-installed the next time the tarp is pitched.
    I agree completely. I'm always gonna need the guylines attached to the tarp when I pitch it- may as well just keep them connected permanently.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyspur View Post
    Great idea, Tpatter. What is that little thingie that looks like it slides on the shockcord?
    This is a connector that this company makes, but I’ve made my own. Just a loop of shock cord with an overhand knot to form a smaller loop to hold the wrapped cord.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I keep ridgeline and guylines attached to tarp.
    Have an oversized stuff sack and no snakeskins.
    I’ve never learned the figure8 wrap, instead I use a rapid accordion wrap and give it a few circular wraps to hold accordion wrap intact and seal it with a slip knot.
    I always unwrap and unwind all guylines at home to ensure there is no mold or mildew camping out on my suspension.

Maybe I’ll see error of my ways, when I get to pitch or pack tarp during high winds and rain.
    Then I’ll say, why didn’t I get tarp skins for no mess deployment and take down.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    Dutch cord is 1.3mm and reflective (as is Zpacks z-line) and is a lot stiffer and doesn't tangle as easily in my opinion. The long term durability is still somewhat of a question to me. They also won't work with Line Lock 3s, but work well with the Line Lock V (available from Dutch or Zpacks), the Slide Lock the Dutch sells, or knots of course.
    Reflective Z-Line is 1.2mm. I use it with modified Lineloc 3s, and Vs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    This just blew my mind. Thank you for the reason to buy different cordage colors!
    I am experimenting with this on my Palace. Orange Z-Line and yellow Dutch Wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyspur View Post
    Great idea, Tpatter. What is that little thingie that looks like it slides on the shockcord?
    Those are Squeeze Hooks. Not sure exactly how they are being used there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just a note on cmoulders comment about removing guy lines. Keeping them on works if you are using only one tarp. But if you have a variety of tarps you are either configuring each one or moving the “set” from one tarp to another. That said, with the cost of things in this avocation, guy line is pretty inexpensive. So putting a set on each tarp would probably be the least expensive I’d incur for a long time.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Just a note on cmoulders comment about removing guy lines. Keeping them on works if you are using only one tarp. But if you have a variety of tarps you are either configuring each one or moving the “set” from one tarp to another. That said, with the cost of things in this avocation, guy line is pretty inexpensive. So putting a set on each tarp would probably be the least expensive I’d incur for a long time.
    That makes sense, although it also greatly increases the odds of pulling a tarp out of the pack at a campsite far, far away, only to discover it has no cordage. I don't carry a bunch of spare cordage so that would be very inconvenient.

One upside of removing them is that you can dry the cordage and tarps separately. Tarps tend to dry quicker, so there's the possibility of rolling it up and storing it with damp cordage, ending up with mildew. For this reason I usually leave tarp open and cordage spread out for a couple of days after returning from a trip... want that thing bone dry before storing.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    All of my tarps are pre-strung, ready to go. A little extra cordage is just a few bucks. And whatever shelter I'm bringing, the checklist has a separate box to check for the stakes, so I don't forget those.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I got tied of rolling my guylines into the tarp & snakeskin only to have a tangled mess when I next set-up. So I'm trying this: I took a rubber hair tie and lark-footed one to each corner & door d-ring. Then I figure 8 bundled each guyline and secured it with the hair tie. Then I rolled my tarp like I always do and ran the snakeskins over it. I use the ridgeline to wrap the tarp into a manageable bundle.

Between the trees and above the ground.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    All of my tarps are pre-strung, ready to go. A little extra cordage is just a few bucks. And whatever shelter I'm bringing, the checklist has a separate box to check for the stakes, so I don't forget those.
    I like to carry that a step further and also store the stakes with my tarp, thus ensuring that the entire shelter system is a complete, single unit. It helps that my stakes are Ti shepherd hooks, which are quite compact, and I put them in a ziploc freezer bag which is rolled in when the tarp is rolled up. The tip ends are at the top of the ziploc, where the thicker material is rolled over and rubber banded so there's nothing poking the tarp material.

Of course, this might not be feasible with different stakes/tarps, so as long as you have a foolproof system that works every time, so much the better.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My stakes are carried in an empty plastic water bottle. Once in bottle, cover with lid. None fall out, and very unlikely to puncture tarp or anything else in pack.
    Water bottle has been stepped on, and is almost flat,to reduce volume. They are carried in net pocket on back of ULA.
    Possibly you could roll it all in with tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast