Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chill Gorilla??

Chill Gorilla??

Hope I’m in the right spot.....
    Anybody know what’s going on at Chill Gorilla? Amazon isn’t showing much of their gear and their website has a cryptic ‘coming soon’ type message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Probably destroyed by supply-chain issues due to the pandemic. I personally think it's a good thing - their products weren't very good anyway.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thought that was probably part of it but didn’t know if they had been bought out, merged or something like that. They just vanished...

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Probably destroyed by supply-chain issues due to the pandemic. I personally think it's a good thing - their products weren't very good anyway.
    So you owned one?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    So you owned one?
    Nope. However, a couple of years ago we had a group hang in the Pine Barrens. A torrential rain came through and within 15 minutes, this woman with a Chill Gorilla tarp was totally deluged with massive leaks. I'm not talking minor leaks at the ridgeline - the whole tarp was leaking. It was a massive storm, but it convinced me that Chill Gorilla was not a viable tarp in a real storm.

I’ve weathered a few rainstorms under their hex tarp. Mine has served me well. Just put my son under one with good results. I’m also using their bug net and like it as well.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Nope. However, a couple of years ago we had a group hang in the Pine Barrens. A torrential rain came through and within 15 minutes, this woman with a Chill Gorilla tarp was totally deluged with massive leaks. I'm not talking minor leaks at the ridgeline - the whole tarp was leaking. It was a massive storm, but it convinced me that Chill Gorilla was not a viable tarp in a real storm.
    Interesting. Well as the comment just after yours shows, chill gorilla probably does make good stuff. The experience you shared with the lady at your hang probably was just a one-off.

Certainly chill gorilla is at the lower end of equipment cost. And arguably, probably heavier because of that, however, in a very unscientific manner, most of the experiences I've heard people express about this particular brand of equipment has been positive or good.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Certainly chill gorilla is at the lower end of equipment cost. And arguably, probably heavier because of that, however, in a very unscientific manner, most of the experiences I've heard people express about this particular brand of equipment has been positive or good.
    I learned long ago that people can irrationally endorse a tarp that meets their price point. It's the price that attracts them, not the performance. Back in 2012, one of the most popular tarps recommended on HF was a $20 Guide Gear 12 x 12 tarp. I bought a couple of them, and they were a miserable excuse for a tarp. People whose opinion I respected even endorsed the tarp, but when opinions turned negative about the tarp, everyone who had enthusiastically endorsed the tarp remained suspiciously silent. The talk about the Guide Gear tarp went from "incredible value" to "leaks like a sieve" in no time, and we haven't heard a word about Guide Gear tarps since.

So color me skeptical about the Chill Gorilla. I looked at several in the field and it's your basic $20 to $40 tarp. Don't expect it to be a Warbonnet Superfly, 'cause you're probably gonna get wet in any significant downpour.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I kinda liked them. Did a one year 24/7 torture test on one and it never leaked or tore. The test only ended when I tore off a grosgrain loop with a tractor.

Don’t get me wrong they are nothing like what our cottage vendors offer but they were great loaners for when a last minute urgent need for a tarp arose! They are / were HEAVY and don’t pack down well at all.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    A Tarp is your shelter. If it doesn't work, your hammock and insulation kit does not as well. Even though it's on top it's kind of the foundation for weather protection. Like the base course in a road building application. If it's not right, then all the subsequent overlays binder, surface can't do their jobs very well or for very long.

The good news is you don't need to spend DCF dollars to get the results you need. All a hammock tarp has to do is be big enough, and NOT leak.

Most Hammock tarps from HF vendors are made to do this. I started out with an 85 dollar 12' AHE Toxaway then many years later finally went DCF. The Tox shows no appreciable wear and tear, and has never leaked. I could and would use it today around 22oz if remembered correctly.

The Gear Guide was hot on the forums when I made my choice. It was a goody.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast