Tarp
    C Gorilla Fortres2
    Insulation
    Down Under | Upper
    Suspension
    1/8 Amsteel Whoopy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Probably destroyed by supply-chain issues due to the pandemic. I personally think it's a good thing - their products weren't very good anyway.
    I have their Fortress Tarp and it's flipping awesome...

Chill Gorilla Fortress 2 Hammock Rain Fly Camping Tarp. SILNYLON. 4 Doors.
    Last edited by MicroSSG; 06-03-2021 at 01:06.

Hammock
    Onewind Double Hammock
    Tarp
    C Gorilla Fortres2
    Insulation
    Down Under | Upper
    Suspension
    1/8 Amsteel Whoopy
    Images
    I learned long ago that people can irrationally endorse a tarp that meets their price point. It's the price that attracts them, not the performance. Back in 2012, one of the most popular tarps recommended on HF was a $20 Guide Gear 12 x 12 tarp. I bought a couple of them, and they were a miserable excuse for a tarp. People whose opinion I respected even endorsed the tarp, but when opinions turned negative about the tarp, everyone who had enthusiastically endorsed the tarp remained suspiciously silent. The talk about the Guide Gear tarp went from "incredible value" to "leaks like a sieve" in no time, and we haven't heard a word about Guide Gear tarps since.

So color me skeptical about the Chill Gorilla. I looked at several in the field and it's your basic $20 to $40 tarp. Don't expect it to be a Warbonnet Superfly, 'cause you're probably gonna get wet in any significant downpour.
    Nope, my Fortress has gone through 4 seasons of Sonoran Desert Monsoon torrential rain storms, I'm talking 2-4 inches in an hour and mine hasn't leaked once... Incredibly wind & water-proof. I haven't seam sealed it either.

FTW - Chill Gorilla Fortress 2 Hammock Rain Fly Camping Tarp. SILNYLON. 4 Doors.
    Last edited by MicroSSG; 06-03-2021 at 01:07.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    always test your fear at home before u take it into the hills and hollers...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nothing quite as funny as this:

https://chillgorilla.com

"Get Ready... Something Really Cool Is Coming Soon"

Coming when? A year? Two years? Three years?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    "Get Ready... Something Really Cool Is Coming Soon"
    The space after ellipses always bothered me. But I understand it's the correct way.

Maybe they're increasing the size of their logo?

That's all I got today.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I learned long ago that people can irrationally endorse a tarp that meets their price point.
    This rationale goes both ways. Many folks also justify the high cost of their cottage gear, and are more likely to give it the benefit of the doubt when something fails...because it was made from "high-end lightweight materials- so I didn't expect it to be as durable," or "the customer service is still good," etc...

I love my cottage gear, and will continue to purchase from cottage vendors as long as my budget allows. But I've also owned Chill Gorilla (and a few other "Amazon" brands), and have never had a bad experience with how those products performed. The only issue was the added weight.

So for me, it's not fair to discredit an entire brand when a one-off defective product happens to make its way to a customer- based solely on the fact that their products are inexpensive, unless you are going to hold every cottage vendor to the same standard when one of their products fails- and in some cases, failures are reported repeatedly by customers.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    This rationale goes both ways. Many folks also justify the high cost of their cottage gear, and are more likely to give it the benefit of the doubt when something fails...because it was made from "high-end lightweight materials- so I didn't expect it to be as durable," or "the customer service is still good," etc...

I love my cottage gear, and will continue to purchase from cottage vendors as long as my budget allows. But I've also owned Chill Gorilla (and a few other "Amazon" brands), and have never had a bad experience with how those products performed. The only issue was the added weight.

So for me, it's not fair to discredit an entire brand when a one-off defective product happens to make its way to a customer- based solely on the fact that their products are inexpensive, unless you are going to hold every cottage vendor to the same standard when one of their products fails- and in some cases, failures are reported repeatedly by customers.
    Well stated, and then there's the phenomenon of people paying a lot of money for something and not wanting to report a failure.

I have a cheap Amazon tarp that I use for the rare occasion that I'm doing some sort of car camping and don't want to leave an expensive (is there any other kind?!) DCF tarp strung up for 3 days straight getting hammered by UV, maybe left unattended at camp while out for a day hike.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Where's the Amazon Basics hammock tarp?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I got the one in this thread from years ago... MD Pinnacle. I'm guessing it is long gone.

Pitches purty.

pinnacle_tarp_amazon_cheap.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I got the one in this thread from years ago... MD Pinnacle. I'm guessing it is long gone.

Pitches purty.

pinnacle_tarp_amazon_cheap.jpg
    My son and grandson use this one........

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIFIYR4M&psc=1

and I have this one...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the first one better. It is much lighter and seems to be very well made. The biggest appeal to me to use gear like this is this statement from the post above...

" I have a cheap Amazon tarp that I use for the rare occasion that I'm doing some sort of car camping and don't want to leave an expensive (is there any other kind?!) DCF tarp strung up for 3 days straight getting hammered by UV, maybe left unattended at camp while out for a day hike." We are hard on our gear and need it to either be able to keep up or be cheap to replace. The funny thing is, my now favorite hammock is a Mallome from amazon that I received as a gift. It is super soft, lays great, and has had the crap beat out of it for a long time now, several years. Not one frayed thread, loose seam or ragged edge. My wife will fight me for it.

I am a big fan of cottage industry, and support it as much as I can, but sometimes it is just not a reality and I would much rather see someone outside living life with gear from Amazon, Walmart and the like, than not go, for wanting of gear that is not in the budget.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast