Have you replaced your stock Tree Huggers ?

I've read a lot about how people have replaced the stock HH Suspension. I'm not ready to do that yet. BUT I really don't like the stock tree huggers. I don't even mind the HH lashing method. But I don't enjoy wrapping the trees with their tree hugger straps and having to line up both loops to thread the suspension line through both loops then lash.

Has anyone with a Hennessy set up, used tree huggers where you've lashed (or becket hitched ) the stock line through ONE loop instead of both loops of a tree hugger strap ? I'd like to put the webbing around a tree once and pull one end through the loop on the other end, tighten around the tree so it's snug, then use just the other loop to lash to. I assume this is NOT as secure as it seems much simpler.

All to say... I'm new to this, and I'm looking for a way to be less frustrated with lining up the 2 loops at the end of the tree huggers, threading the suspension rope through both... then lashing.

I have seen the dual descender ring method but I not keen on using it.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    When I was still using my HH's, I never really liked the straps/tree huggers that came with my hammock. Too big, bulky and I didn't care for how you had to loop the rope through the tree strap ends, the figure 8 tying method, etc., etc., just as you mentioned. Ultimately, I replaced the HH suspension with Dutchware suspension & replaced the hammock loops with a Dyneema continuous loops.

There's plenty of YT vids that walk you through the process by doing a search for 'hennessy hammock suspension conversion'.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / JRB UQ
    Images
    I have the exact same frustration running the line through both strap eyes, I have tried:

-Replacing the stock suspension with whoopie slings, only to find I hate them
    -Leaving the suspension always threaded through one strap eye so I only have to go through one. It’s better but still a little finicky

Another option would be to tie the suspension lines into short loops near the hammock, use the long 1” tree straps around the tree and tie the loose end at the hammock’s loop with some form of locking slip hitch. I use the 1” x 96” straps on my Warbonnet eldorado directly to the hammocks continuous loop and it works great. I use a soft shackle or carabiner to clip the strap end at the tree. Hope that made sense, Shug did a video on that approach if my description didn’t. Cheers

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    I have the survivorman, and I tied it to just one side of their strap a couple of times, but I really didnt like tying the figure 8, so I tied carabiners close to the hammock ends and got daisy chain tree straps. A little heavier, but way faster/easier.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammocks Survivorman
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    I have a HH survivorman and my son has a Jungle Expedition. I have replaced the ropes on both of our hammocks with continuous loops we have switched to Superior Gear Superior suspension instead of tree strapps. I like the ease and simplicity of their suspension system. I have made some quick release soft shackles that I'm going to try on my next outing to see if I like using them instead of threading the strap back through the loop at the tree. I like that you can ratchet the strap down instead of just untying the figure 8 knot. I have not tried whoopie slings but I don't have much desire to try them right now.

https://superiorgear.com/product/sup...pension-system

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I started with a HHED & hated the suspension in all ways I could configure it. Tried whoopies but didn't like that method either as the stock tree straps were to short bulky & stiff. With whoopies the a available trees were often to close & to large. Got 25' of strap material & buckles from Dutch & cut in half. Made continuous loops with the continuous loop laced to them. Cut the old suspension off & installed them. Wife sewed loops on the ends of straps. Installed a Nano beaner through the loop.
    Now I flip the beaner around any tree & snap it on both straps. Do quick adjustments & done. Takes about a minute or so. Quickest, easiest I've dealt with.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / JRB UQ
    Images
    I have an Explorer UL Classic XL (they are on sale ) coming on Friday, which screams 'Old School'. I really like the idea of the rope suspension but never given it a real chance on my other HH. Since I hate fishing the rope through the eyes in the tree straps more than the 8 lash, I will try a short 4 or 5" piece of plastic pipe maybe an inch diameter. Pushing it through the two eyes should open them up, or give me a bigger hole to push the rope through. Might work.

Cheers

• + New Posts