Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It’s sort of a special situation, but it happens … because of snow covering tracks, you might return to your car differently than you left. Around here there have been tragedies where someone can’t remember what direction to head when they reach a road. Is the car to the left or the right. In a whiteout situation they can’t see very far and going one direction, then deciding it was wrong and going back the other way, the changing their mind again … they run out of juice and succumb to the elements. From Geocaching we’ve learned that it as important to mark your car (on your GPS) as it is to mark your camping destination.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    There's winter hanging and then there's winter camping. Check out ideas from these intrepid folks: Winter Camping Symposium forum
    The game is the best teacher.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    I am too old to snowshoe very far so that I usually base camp. I usually set up a top down fire before I turn in so that I can light the fire and return to the hammock and wait for it to burn down a bit before getting up. Always have a bail out plan in place in the winter time for the weather forecast isn't always that accurate.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    It’s sort of a special situation, but it happens … because of snow covering tracks, you might return to your car differently than you left. Around here there have been tragedies where someone can’t remember what direction to head when they reach a road. Is the car to the left or the right. In a whiteout situation they can’t see very far and going one direction, then deciding it was wrong and going back the other way, the changing their mind again … they run out of juice and succumb to the elements. From Geocaching we’ve learned that it as important to mark your car (on your GPS) as it is to mark your camping destination.
    I learned this lesson as a teen the hard way. I thought I knew exactly where I was in a snowstorm. My friend and I ended up nearly freezing and walking probably 18 miles when it should have been 1. The alcohol didn’t help.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I always take a genuine Nalgene 1 ltr. bottle (not a knockoff brand) in the winter. I know.......it's 6.3 oz in weight, but it stands up to boiling water. It goes in my sleeping layers about a half an hour, wrapped in a wool sock to warm up everything, and I sleep with it between my legs. Keeps my feet very warm, and in the morning there's a quart of 100 degree water for breakfast use.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    This. Kleen Kanteen wide-mouth, 64 oz. Never leaks. Reliable always. Will not crack or break. I heat it on my canister stove, Fancee Feast, or Optimus Nova. Then slip an old wool sock over it. Warms up any hammock. Also allows me to boil any suspicious water after quick filter paper or micron bag, to kill everything, even worm eggs.
    64 oz wide mouth stainless.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12