Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs

Any geeks interested in temp data logging?

I'm trying out a few different options for keeping warm in my hammock - and decided to use a temperature data logger which I have while I try these options out.
    Anyone interested in this data, or have any observations they wish to share?

This first run was from two nights ago. In this scenario:
    I'm wearing jeans (thicker denim), a T-shirt (again, thicker material), and wool socks.
    My hammock is a Warbonnet Blackbird (original), heavy double layer. I do have a nylon hex rainfly over me (Pro Venture 12' hex).
    I'm using a DIY GEMINI underquilt, with an unmodified Blue Ridge ACTIV Packable Down Throw for a topquilt.
    Temperatures are recorded every 5 minutes.

I put temp probe 1 (the black line on the graph, and first column in the data table) through the soft shackle on the head end of my hammock so that it was hanging in there. It is under the tarp, so not as exposed to the light wind.
    Probe 2 (green line on graph, second column of temps in the data table) was stuffed into the back pocket of my jeans. I did run the wire through a couple of belt loops to make sure it stayed put.

9:21pm (21:21) is a few minutes after I had gotten into my hammock. I got myself comfortable and covered up before I turned on the data logger. I read until around 10:30pm, when I went to sleep,
    You'll see probe 2 hit the bottom of the chart around midnight (32F) - a train came by and woke me up, so I took the opportunity to water a tree during that time and the probe was unplugged from the data logger
    Around 4:40am, my feet got cold and it woke me up. I noticed that the wind had picked back up a little, while it had previously died to almost nothing around midnight.

Anyway - hope someone else finds this interesting!
    underquilt_and_unmod_topquilt.pdf

I do the same when I camp. I am a huge nerd though. I like to look back over the year to see what extremes I was able to tolerate. We only do 3 season camping, but soon I would like to get into winter camping. I use 2 SensorPush sensors. One I hang somewhere on my suspension outside the hammock, closer to the tree (unless it's raining...then I move it under the tarp a bit). The other sensor I try to clip to something under my top quilt near my body.

My son and I camped last year where the temp hit 34F (our lowest temp so far) for 2 hours near morning, and under my quilt the temp never dropped below 76F. It mostly hovered around 79F. We were in Dutchware Chameleons, single layer Hex 1.6 w/bugnets and a UGQ Winter Dream tarp over us. Our top quilts were HG Econ Burrows 20deg. Under quilts were HG Econ Incubators 20deg. I believe I was just wearing some thinner Heat Tech stuff I got from Uniqlo. I hate sleeping in bulky clothes. I remember having to kick off the top quilt several times earlier in the night because I was too hot. My son said he had to do the same.

Anyway, glad to see someone geeks out like I do. I know Shug carries a temperature gauge of some sort with him, but not sure he logs data. Keep up the good work!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reznor99 View Post
    I do the same when I camp. I am a huge nerd though. I like to look back over the year to see what extremes I was able to tolerate. We only do 3 season camping, but soon I would like to get into winter camping. I use 2 SensorPush sensors. One I hang somewhere on my suspension outside the hammock, closer to the tree (unless it's raining...then I move it under the tarp a bit). The other sensor I try to clip to something under my top quilt near my body.

My son and I camped last year where the temp hit 34F (our lowest temp so far) for 2 hours near morning, and under my quilt the temp never dropped below 76F. It mostly hovered around 79F. We were in Dutchware Chameleons, single layer Hex 1.6 w/bugnets and a UGQ Winter Dream tarp over us. Our top quilts were HG Econ Burrows 20deg. Under quilts were HG Econ Incubators 20deg. I believe I was just wearing some thinner Heat Tech stuff I got from Uniqlo. I hate sleeping in bulky clothes. I remember having to kick off the top quilt several times earlier in the night because I was too hot. My son said he had to do the same.

Anyway, glad to see someone geeks out like I do. I know Shug carries a temperature gauge of some sort with him, but not sure he logs data. Keep up the good work!
    I don't log it but just like to know on deep winter trips up here in Minnesota.
    Lowest so far was -40ºF and may have been lower but thermometer craps out to lower limits (LL) at -40ºF
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Sheesh that's cold! You are my hero, sir. I hope to dip my toes in the icy waters this winter.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    I log temperatures and gear. Then I know the thresholds for each piece of gear and can adjust for temperatures and what things I should bring. Feels efficient to me!

• + New Posts