Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extending the Eno Nomad hammock stand

Just got this stand. It is a solid build and it seems to work great if your hammock is the right length. My favorite hammock is too long to get a good hang. If Eno sold an extension to the bar that hangs between the two quadripods (or whatever you call them) i would buy one from them and that would solve the problem. They do not thus I am thinking about making my own. I'll need some bungee which is easy to find, but I will need to find the proper tent style (preferably lightweight as that used in this stand) piping in the right diameter. Thus my question. Does anyone know of a source(s) where I might be able to get a 1.5 to 2 ft extension (with male and female ends) to add to the utility of the eno nomad stand. thanks for any suggestions.

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow or the next day. I already had this plan in mind. I want to use it with my Warbonnet XLC and and my Superfly. I talked to a steel supplier here in town and once I get it he is confident he can come up with some similar pipe and be able to sweg an end or figure out a way to extend the bar and we have a plan to be able to hang the Superfly as well. If this all goes as planned I post some pics and ideas.

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by mpapen View Post
    Just got this stand. It is a solid build and it seems to work great if your hammock is the right length. My favorite hammock is too long to get a good hang. If Eno sold an extension to the bar that hangs between the two quadripods (or whatever you call them) i would buy one from them and that would solve the problem. They do not thus I am thinking about making my own. I'll need some bungee which is easy to find, but I will need to find the proper tent style (preferably lightweight as that used in this stand) piping in the right diameter. Thus my question. Does anyone know of a source(s) where I might be able to get a 1.5 to 2 ft extension (with male and female ends) to add to the utility of the eno nomad stand. thanks for any suggestions.
    Sidenote the forum will not let me add pictures. if you would like to see more pics of the build pm me.
    250px-ANSI_Caution_Header_-_1969.svg.png250px-ANSI_Warning_Header_-_1991.svg.png250px-ANSI_Danger_Header_-_1969.svg.png
    This is in no way an engineered option. This works for me and me alone I am sure this will kill someone if they were to try what I am showing here. No one should ever do this.........

So away I go. I received my Nomad and and put my ENO doublenest up and it worked great. It however is to short for the XLC. So off to the hardware store I went. I found a piece of 1 1/4 schedule M copper pipe is the right size to do the job. Here is what I did.
    copper.jpg
    1 Remove ridgepole from Nomad setup2 Pull end cap from the double female end of ridgepole
    end.jpg
    3 Untie the blue shock cord from the grey plastic end
    4 Remove the double female end pipe from the ridgepole
    5 Remove the next pipe in the stack
    6 Insert the 48" copper pipe onto the the remaining stack and fish the shock cord back through the ridgepole
    7 Flip the removed male/female pipe you removed in step #5 and fish the shock cord through this pipe
    blueend.jpg
    8 Retie the shock cord onto the grey ridgepole end cap and replace the cap back on the factory pipe end
    9 test fit everything

10 sand and paint the copper pipe11 hang your xlc and enjoy. 12 Invent a way you like to add your tarp of choice if needed.
    Enjoy or wait don't enjoy this will definitely get you killed.
    Last edited by SoDakOverland; 01-13-2021 at 19:18. Reason: pictures wont upload

I've owned the ENO Nomad + Nomad Shelter System for many years now and really like it. It suits part of my outdoor camping needs...sandbar camping (I'm a rafter/kayaker as well as backpacker). It's way too heavy for backpacking, but sandbars generally don't have trees...so very helpful. I'm starting to look at upgrading to a Chameleon or Banyan and found this thread. On a whim I reached out to ENO and they sell the complete crossbar set (4 bar sections + 2 end caps) for $25 + s/h. That's pretty cheap, to me. I figure I'll just extend my existing crossbar with two sections from the replacement one that I just ordered.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakOverland View Post
    This is in no way an engineered option. This works for me and me alone I am sure this will kill someone if they were to try what I am showing here. No one should ever do this..........
    ...'cause you're gonna die

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    When I read about purchasing pole extenders to make this stand usable for hammocks other than ENOs, I got really interested. Since I couldn't find any way to purchase thee additional poles on their replacement parts section, I wrote to them. Here's the conversation:

Karla: I read that one can purchase replacement poles for the Nomad hammock stand. Are there kits for the top poles AND the leg poles? If so, how much and how does one order them?

ENO: Hi Karla,Thanks for reaching out. We have a limited supply of replacement ridgepoles and pod assemblies, and they must be preserved for genuine warranty issues. What seems to the problem with the original equipment? Let us know and we can proceed accordingly!

Karla: The poles aren't long enough for my hammock and was told I could buy more poles to make the stand work for me. ENO hammocks aren't long enough for me to be comfortable so I taught myself to sew and made a hammock.

ENO: Unfortunately, we don’t recommend modifying any of our products since the Nomad is not designed for adding additional ridgepoles and this voids the warranty on the product. If you’re looking for a stand that accommodates a longer hammock, we would suggest looking at the SoloPod or the XL version. Apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.

Karla:
    SoloPod & XL version don't break down for car camping. Nomad can. I don't care about the warranty. I just want a functioning freestanding hammock stand and I'm not great at DIY stuff since I don't have many tools. Are you saying that Eno wouldn't sell me the poles?

ENO: Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer you an additional Nomad Ridgepole for modifications. Apologies for the inconvenience.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

It's odd you received a no on the extensions... i asked the same question in oct 21 and got a different answer.

"Hi John!

Sure! We sell replacement Nomad Ridgepoles for $25.00 + shipping / tax. Let me know and I can proceed with getting you a quote!
    "

I'm reaching back out to them to see what's changed!

They gave me the same line they gave you earlier about saving it for warranty etc...after some disagreement and discussion they agreed to sell me a replacement pole (not sure if it's a single section or the entire pole) for $25....and charged me nearly as much in shipping. I doubt they would have done such if I did not have the previous email. (They seemed to think 8 months was long enough they shouldn't honor it however I disagreed and they gave in..I could understand if it was from like 3 years ago...).
    Last edited by johnnumbers; 05-18-2022 at 16:17.

Quote Originally Posted by StatusKuoman View Post
    I've owned the ENO Nomad + Nomad Shelter System for many years now and really like it. It suits part of my outdoor camping needs...sandbar camping (I'm a rafter/kayaker as well as backpacker). It's way too heavy for backpacking, but sandbars generally don't have trees...so very helpful. I'm starting to look at upgrading to a Chameleon or Banyan and found this thread. On a whim I reached out to ENO and they sell the complete crossbar set (4 bar sections + 2 end caps) for $25 + s/h. That's pretty cheap, to me. I figure I'll just extend my existing crossbar with two sections from the replacement one that I just ordered.
    Any chance you would be willing to sell me the two sections that you don’t need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. So 1 extension (chameleon) = bueno. 2 extensions (Banyon) = no bueno (the top bar starts to buckle) 159C437C-299F-4CF7-A5A8-2F4761F66D89.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast