Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

VIDEO: Perfect Tarp?

Is the Warbonnet Outdoors Mountainfly the Perfect Tarp? Here is my view.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I’ve been using a thunderfly for a couple years and it’s been a great one. It’s got patched holes in it, from critters climbing on it, limbs falling in bad storms, and still goin strong. My new custom 12’ mountainfly shows tomorrow. I’ll pretty confident it’s gonna be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    JeremyL, Thank you for the great video,

Sometime try orienting your tarp parallel to the wind. I used to set up perpendicular and with external pole mod - even panel pulls guyed out - there was a lot of force pushing the tarp into the hammock. Think of all that surface area against the wind.

After a night in that situation, the next day I reoriented parallel to the wind. Much better for me. The mini-doors, along with the support trees themselves, were sufficient to adequately block most the wind - a little “ventilation” is okay. The surprise was, by running parallel across the tarp, lift was created and the tarp sides were not pulled away from the hammock. Pretty neat.

The above experiment was with a TunderFly. Looks like your MountainFly has more substantial mini-doors.

There’s no question that in an All-Out storm, being buttoned up in a full door SuperFly, or similar brands/models, would offer more protection. But I’d have to really plan to find those conditions because part of my trip planning is to check the weather. Sure, there can be a surprise rain. But very seldom does a big storm show up out of nowhere.

That said, once on a hike to Strawberry Lake (Oregon), in the first week of July, we got about six inches of snow. This was in my Tent days, decades (and decades and decades) ago. The solution there was to pack up and hike back to the car. We met some scout masters at the parking lot and they had their kids leave the gear behind and beeline it to the parking lot (going back later to get the gear). So those things can happen. But that was one surprise in a lifetime of adventure.

PS: my voice sometimes does the same thing. I keep waiting for “the change” when I’ll sound like James Earl Jones.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-28-2020 at 14:21.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts