Blue "Sparrow" (Dream Hammock)
    Tarp
    WinterDream 13
    Insulation
    UQ Down
    Suspension
    Dutch:Whoopie+HW
    Hello,

-1 I would always contact Randy Smith (Papa Smurf --> in this Forum) from Dream Hammock to talk things through. He is very helpful and is very patient--> I had a lot of questions and was very patient and friendly
    -2 You are welcome in the User Facebook "Dream Hammock" Dreamers: http://bit.ly/2WE0UZ7 that I've made. Because I wanted an authorized group I asked Deanna Opliger Smith and Randy Smith from "Dream Hammock" for their approval. They have given me that trust! . When you do your membership request you get three questions! Refer with "medinfo" so I know it's you. We now have more than 900 members and a lot of photo's, videos and advice.

#EWTPWGYE -Greetings,

Theo "SurvivalTrotter" Brouwers

Quote Originally Posted by medinfoto View Post
    Hi everyone,

About to take the step to a custom hammock. Been using a Hennessy Expedition asym zip for around 5-6 years, and just this year got a Safari in a trade as well. I found the Expedition very capable but maybe a little bit tight, and I wish the net was removable. The Safari was outstanding in comfort but quite heavy, no removable net, and the width was a bit excessive. Didn't bother me but seemed pointless to drag around a bunch of extra fabric for no reason. Very much enjoyed the sag and distance to ridgeline on it though! I'm 5'10 and around 175 lbs so don't really need anything huge but I like having a little space to stretch out diagonally.

Now, after 5-6 years of hammocking I figured I am dedicated enough to it that I can justify buying a custom one. Been emailing a bit with DreamHammock and so far we're leaning towards an 11' 62" wide Sparrow in the 1.6 HyperD fabric. I figured I'd spring for net and overcover, with a slightly bigger vent than standard on the cover.

But there are so many options here. Fabrics, organizers, etc etc. Bit lost on what to go for. Been looking through the "recent projects" page for inspiration.

I want: sturdy enough fabric that I don't need to baby it. Lighter weight than my current setup. Overcover as an option for when it gets colder. Lots of storage options. There are peak bags, gear slings, gear hammocks, my head's spinning just trying to piece it all together.

What are your thoughts? I don't want to spam the nice people at DreamHammock with endless questions so figured I'd throw it out here. :-)

thanks!
    Greetings from The Netherlands, Theo "SurvivalTrotter (Twitter)" Brouwers
    Enjoy with the people who give you ENERGY
    Member of The Dutch Bushcraft Foundation:
    http://bit.ly/1tareqc

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Raven in 1.6 Hyper D. I find it to be my most comfortable hammock out of 7. I have a ridgeline organizer that I love. I also have a peak shelf, which is okay. I can definitely reach it, but wish it was closer to me an wish it could hold a little more. I have a Dutchware Chameleon and I just love the side sling for it. I wish I could combine that storage option with the comfort of my Raven. I go back and forth with which hammock that I take because of it.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by durunner View Post
    I have a Raven in 1.6 Hyper D. I find it to be my most comfortable hammock out of 7. I have a ridgeline organizer that I love. I also have a peak shelf, which is okay. I can definitely reach it, but wish it was closer to me an wish it could hold a little more. I have a Dutchware Chameleon and I just love the side sling for it. I wish I could combine that storage option with the comfort of my Raven. I go back and forth with which hammock that I take because of it.
    I don’t know if its what you are looking for but I noticed that Dream Hammock sells a gear sling that looks pretty flexible. In one of their pictures they show it attached to the pull out hooks which might give you a side sling like functionality. Looks like it zip, clips, and flips!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Whatever the Smurfs recommend.

I'm 5-9/170 (OK, on the way back to 170) and wanted a 10' Darien. Went with Smurf recommendation of 64" width and Mtn 1.7, and although I've used a fair number of hammocks and various materials since, this first Darien remains my fave to this day. They know their stuff.
    The Mtn 1.2 is very nice to sleep on, I'm interested to hear how the Mtn 1.7 works for you.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hang-anon View Post
    The Mtn 1.2 is very nice to sleep on, I'm interested to hear how the Mtn 1.7 works for you.
    Actually, the Mtn 1.7 (which was still called Robic then) was my first 'primo' custom hammock and I got the Mtn 1.2 not too many months thereafter. I've used them both quite a bit and I give a slight edge to the 1.7. The newest version is Mtn 1.3, with which I have zero experience... haven't even seen one.

I've also used Hexon 1.0 hammocks a fair amount and also like that material, but even as an ardent UL aficionado I've come to the conclusion that it is easy enough to use a more durable 1.6 or 1.7 material for the hammock and still not bust the budget in the pack weight department... there are plenty of other opportunities to reduce weight with other pack items, and/or the pack itself. Hammock failure far from any trailhead would suck bigly.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I had a Sparrow for a short time... Took it in trade. It was a double layer which I didn't really need, but I did find that Papa Smurf's craftsmanship is top notch.

I have three Hyper D 1.6 DIY's.. That fabric is the bomb. 190-ish at 5'11".

I prefer my hammocks simple.. less is more. I use a peak loft in each hammock and they offer more than enough storage. They can be a little challenging to get in and out of, but it's not a show stopper by any stretch.

One thing to consider, since you mention 'lighter than my current setup' is switching from 0.9 noseeum for the bug net, to 0.67. That shaves a few ounces off the kit with no real loss in reliability. Of the four netted hammocks I currently use, three have 0.67. The other has 0.9. Big difference in feel and total weight.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Well, thanks for all input and comments. MikekiM: I will ask Randy about the 0.67 bug net, didn't see it as an option.

Current configuration plan:
    Sparrow in 11' 62" HyperD XL 1.6
    Overcover in 1.2 MTN with side vent
    UQ hooks and tieouts
    Peak bag on foot end
    Ridgeline organizer
    Gear sling (to hang on ridgeline by head end)
    Possibly 0.67 bug net

Decided to not go all out on storage since I don't _actually_ bring that much crap with me.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...custom-samples

From RBTR on their 1.2 oz MTN XL Hybrid Ripstop Nylon 6.6:

NOTES:

- This fabric was transitioned to 1.2 oz nylon 6.6 from the previous 1.2 oz nylon 6 variant on 7/30/19. The 1.2 oz nylon 6 variant will not be restocked.

- We also trimmed the weight back to 1.2 oz from 1.3 oz on 8/20/20. This will be the new weight we stock moving forward.
    Actually, the Mtn 1.7 (which was still called Robic then) was my first 'primo' custom hammock and I got the Mtn 1.2 not too many months thereafter. I've used them both quite a bit and I give a slight edge to the 1.7. The newest version is Mtn 1.3, with which I have zero experience... haven't even seen one.

************************************************** ***(
    LOL I should have read this closely before. I thought people were making a mistake referring to the "new" lighter version as Mtn 1.2, but obviously I am the one who is behind the news curve when it comes to the never-ending saga of Mtn/Robic.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    LOL I should have read this closely before. I thought people were making a mistake referring to the "new" lighter version as Mtn 1.2, but obviously I am the one who is behind the news curve when it comes to the never-ending saga of Mtn/Robic.
    I had the same confusion until I went to the source.

Does this make my Darien made from the short-lived MTN 1.3 a collector's item?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I have a sparrow in the 58" wide 11'length and im 6'1" 230lbs and i just fit perfect in that size. I didn't want to get a wider one because then there would be extra loose fabric one both sides. But each person has a different preference for sure to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast