Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    New "string" what I call it will always slip until it gets a little age on it. I use Dutch's reflect it and that and it is always slick until it gets rained on a few times and washes off the slick coating. After that it holds great. Until then I just tie a slippery half hitch under the line lock if it slips; The same works with zingit. I have used both. The older it gets the better it holds.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I use zing-it and it slips. My solution is a half hitch at the linelock, no more slipping.

Sent from my couch

this is one thing which intrigues me about these amazing no knot solutions. just tie a half hitch or two, make it slippery, etc. why not just use a proper knot to begin with, and ditch the hardware altogether, then? i guess the half hitch is somehow special, in the sense people are confortable to tie them (in quantity), and still feel they avoided tiyng knots. oh well

Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    why not just use a proper knot to begin with, and ditch the hardware altogether, then?
    I generally agree, but I'm thinking of times when I'm very cold, and my fingers don't tie knots well - or at all.
    For the same reason, one of my fire starters is always one-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by offGridDownUnder View Post
    I generally agree, but I'm thinking of times when I'm very cold, and my fingers don't tie knots well - or at all.
    For the same reason, one of my fire starters is always one-handed.
    that's a very good point (both of them), and this is why i devised knot based solutions which don't require to tie the knots when using them but only once at home, and are designed to work one handed, including quick release if desired (yeah, quick release without losing the knot, so i had to come up with a quick release softshackle). aside from personal preference, i am familiar with working with bare hands in the cold and wet due to some of my interests, and my experience is that handling small hard pieces of hardware, especially metal but not only, and especially with sharp corners, can range for unpleasant to painfull, occasionally somewhat dangerous due to lack of proper input from the senses.

i'm not saying all hardware is crap, but it better be really good to be convincing, given all alternatives available, and when i hear "tie a half hitch so it doesn't slip", ugh, isn't it time to reconsider? just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    i'm not saying all hardware is crap, but it better be really good to be convincing, given all alternatives available, and when i hear "tie a half hitch so it doesn't slip", ugh, isn't it time to reconsider? just sayin'
    I haven't done a lot of this yet. I'm leaning towards an idea I saw by David Canterbury He uses toggles and prussik knots. Do you have any experience if prussik knots freeze or jam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m11UB2z6UL4

yes, prussik is well known to be jammy, and as discussed often here, is frankly the "wrong tool for the job". there's many other options, that are good, but one of the simpler and more compact ones is to use a blake hitch instead.

as to toggles: they are nice if you particularly like them, but they don't do much in this case, they do add some bulk and potentially opportunity to snag

here's an example of a solution without toggles (and if you want ultra-quick release, you just leave the tail on the stopper longer, so you can pull it into the capture loop as a bight instead of whole, this makes it easy to release even under tension, while still no unintended release possible)

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hitch-variant)
    Last edited by nanok; 07-04-2023 at 08:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345