Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket

Adjustable Ridgeline Opinions

Folks,

I have an adjustable Whoopie based ridgeline on one of my hammocks. It works great but tends to slip over time and I have to reset it - I just marked the line so I can just pull it to that.

I don’t use whoopies - they just never appealed to me. This in fact is the only whoopie type adjustment that I have.

My question, is it normal for them to creep over time? I guess putting the hammock in and out of the stuff sack can loosen it. THinking of just replacing it with a fixed 108 incher. I mean, I’ve never intentionally adjusted it other than the first time I got in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I have an adjustable Whoopie based ridgeline on one of my hammocks...My question, is it normal for them to creep over time?
    My whoopie ridgeline never slipped on me, but like you once I found the sweet spot, I never moved it and just this year replaced it with a fixed version. If you're certain that 108 inches works for you, then yes, I'd go ahead and put a fixed ridgeline on there and forget about it. Keep the whoopie ridgeline for your next hammock or as a spare.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Because the whoopie hold depends on bury constriction. I’d imagine it is “natural” for it to slip a little over time. As said above - use it to find the right distance for you, then replace it with a fixed line of that distance.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    You can find the correct length for the ridgeline and tie a knot with the loose end after milking the bury. Just remember to milk the bury occasionally.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    There is an advantage to having an adjustable ridgeline... On the occasion that the only trees available are too close together and you have to make do with them, it’s mighty nice to be able to (neatly and easily) temporarily shorten your ridgeline so it’s still up, out of your way and not drooping down tickling your nose as you nap!

a (properly constructed) whoopie shouldn't slip under load, but it might when stuffed as you mentioned. i actually use a ucr for my ridgeline (and for my suspension too, btw), as i don't like the waste of rope the whoopie implies for long lengths. i have to secure the ucr with a decent friction hitch, but in this configuration it is rock solid and never slips on me (not even when in and out of the stuff sack, probably because the friction hitch acts as a backup to the burry, and is disturbed by different things than the burry would be).

an adjustable structural ridgeline is very nice. i also have it marked at the 80-ish % length, to have a known starting point to fine tune from. but if i want to use it more like a chair for instance, with the ucr i can shorten the ridgeline enough for that (worked great a few months ago to find the correct "lay" for a work-from-hammock day), or if i want to experiment with a slightly tauter lay (longer ridgeline) i can do that too. i personally see no reason to have a fixed ridgeline, when making an adjustable one is so easy, and the difference in materials is so insignificant.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If the adjustable whoopie sling ridgeline slips under load, the bury of the adjustable eye is probably too short. Dutch has a nice article on his website: What you need to know about AmSteel rope. If you want the maximum holding power, the bury needs to be 3.5 fids long, that means Ø rope x 21 x 3.5. If you're using 1.75 mm Zing-It / Lash-It, that's 129 mm or about 5".

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    If the adjustable whoopie sling ridgeline slips under load, the bury of the adjustable eye is probably too short. Dutch has a nice article on his website: What you need to know about AmSteel rope. If you want the maximum holding power, the bury needs to be 3.5 fids long, that means Ø rope x 21 x 3.5. If you're using 1.75 mm Zing-It / Lash-It, that's 129 mm or about 5".
    It doesn’t slip under load, but it does ‘move’ when the hammock has been packed/unpacked several times. Perhaps it is this specific sling, not sure.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Use a lash knot. Won't move on you and easy to tie and untie.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    It doesn’t slip under load, but it does ‘move’ when the hammock has been packed/unpacked several times. Perhaps it is this specific sling, not sure.
    Since you're happy with the length, you can either make another one with a fixed eye or convert the adjustable one to a fixed eye.

I've got an adjustable SRL on one hammock and even with a reference mark it's still annoying, so sometime this winter that's going to be addressed.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts