Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Difference in quality of dcf tarps?

So what is your criteria for dcf tarps given the same dimensions, weight and price? Is there a quality difference between companies? Certainly some brands are more popular, so I am wondering Why.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I don't own one yet so I can't attest to quality differences between brands but I do know that there are different methods of construction, and different material weights, the same way as there is for tarps made from other materials. another factor is that certain companies allow you to custom print your tarp.

mostly though I think it comes down to Brand recognition more than any quality differences.

at the price point of DCF most people probably will only buy one, and use it for as long as it holds up. If they're happy with it, they're going to buy it again from the same company, unless they have a reason to try the other ones, such as if you're buying multiple items from the same company which might be the case from Dutchware, or the company that you previously bought from is unable to provide because of a pandemic. which is the reason that I recently purchased my custom printed tarp from Dutch... originally I was going to get another one from UGQ, but they took away their option to custom print and all of their mass produced tarps were sold out. I needed a new tarp, I wanted it to be custom printed. I actually wanted one custom printed that was also DCF but Dutch doesn't have that option, plus I decided that if I didn't like the image that I was having printed I didn't want to print it on the most expensive tarp there is to get and be stuck with it... as it turns out I really love the image that I had printed. although I would tweak it a little prior to having it printed again.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

If you’re serious enough to be considering going DCF, I think it’s worth sweating the details. I find cat cut edges on hex tarps to be too much of a compromise on wind protection to be worth the marginal savings on avoided material weight. But the LiteAF tarp that I found to be the only solution isn’t in production. Does anyone know of another source for a comparable item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Zpacks appears not to have cat cut.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Zpacks appears not to have cat cut.
    Ditto that for the Dutchware DCF tarps, though I'm just judging from the photos. The descriptions also make no mention of cat cuts.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Ditto that for the Dutchware DCF tarps, though I'm just judging from the photos. The descriptions also make no mention of cat cuts.
    Ha — another one!

However, I've got the HG and I don't think the cat cut compromises coverage to a significant degree. After all, the catenary arc is only about an inch or so above a straight line. Conversely, does it help to keep the edge taut and reduce flapping? I don't really know... never used a straight-edge one in 'real' weather.

The biggest issue with inadequate coverage is not pitching the tarp right down to the hammock SRL, along with orientation to the wind. If an 8.5ft wide tarp is pitched 2 feet above the SRL, it's not going to work well whether cat cut or not.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts