Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ

SRL Hang Angle and Sag

This is driving me nuts...

I think I have a pretty good understanding of hang angle, sag and distances between trees. I prefer the sit height on my 11 foot HG hammock to be a little higher off the ground than 12-18 inches. I'm 6'2" and don't want to have stand up from a squat. I also don't like the UQ hitting the ground with my 210 lb carcass in the hammock. So I either move the tree straps up or adjust the suspension, or a little of both to get to 30 degrees and an SRL that's nice and flexible (not pulled straight between the trees) before I sit in it.

Running this through the Hang Calculator for 15 foot trees, which I was using this afternoon, the tree straps should be 82 inches off the ground which is consistent with what I do, I reach over my head a bit.

I've seen two videos, one is Shug's and another I think is on the DH site, where people lay in the hammock and they can reach up and bend the SRL into a right angle to demonstrate that it still has some flex to it. That's not been my experience. I can get it to bend a little but not as dramatically as these videos. Is this even meaningful from a practical standpoint (as in not worth worrying about) or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Hammock performs fine otherwise!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe you need to lengthen your ridgeline.
    Many times when I hang my ridgeline is tight and I just live with it. Never had one break.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    My experience has been the same, if I’m in the hammock I get a slight bend. Nothing like a 90.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Many times when I hang my ridgeline is tight and I just live with it. Never had one break.
    Shug
    Thanks, you answered my question. My hypervigilance disorder gets to me every now and then and when I saw that I thought "My goodness, I didn't read that in the book, I must be doing it wrong!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwinters View Post
    My experience has been the same, if I’m in the hammock I get a slight bend. Nothing like a 90.
    Indeed, mine's usually a bit tight. Nothing to worry about as long as the trees are decent sized and the suspension angle isn't horribly shallow. That's why we have the SRL... for consistent sag without a lot of fuss.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The “should you test the SRL tension out of the hammock or sitting in the hammock debate … I set mine so it doesn’t droop when I’m out of the hammock but not guitar string tight when I’m in the hammock - if I can. Sometimes the SRL has to do its job - keep the sweet spot sag even if my suspension angle is less than optimal.

One note is often the percent hang distance of the hammock ends is suggested to be 83% of physical hammock length. But … if you check the results in hammock calculators, the distance is calculated at 86%. That points out that the “best” distance is not so much a specific number but more a range between x and y. Of course the SRL will dictate the maximum distance but it seems to me to just be, “Is it comfortable within a reasonable range that doesn’t over stress the material.” All those numbers are sort of a starting place with some people settling on a little shorter or a little longer.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    The “should you test the SRL tension out of the hammock or sitting in the hammock debate … I set mine so it doesn’t droop when I’m out of the hammock but not guitar string tight when I’m in the hammock - if I can. Sometimes the SRL has to do its job - keep the sweet spot sag even if my suspension angle is less than optimal.

One note is often the percent hang distance of the hammock ends is suggested to be 83% of physical hammock length. But … if you check the results in hammock calculators, the distance is calculated at 86%. That points out that the “best” distance is not so much a specific number but more a range between x and y. Of course the SRL will dictate the maximum distance but it seems to me to just be, “Is it comfortable within a reasonable range that doesn’t over stress the material.” All those numbers are sort of a starting place with some people settling on a little shorter or a little longer.
    I concur. Quite often it seems that chasing perfection leads to more than a bit of paralysis by analysis.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    ^ 1+. I think the calculator and repeated reference to ‘proper’ hang angle can lead one to believe that you’re doing it wrong if it’s not exactly 30 degrees etc. I’m new-ish, second season, and still self-checking my rigging and learning about different suspensions, and I can get a little fixated! The bending the SRL while loaded clip made me wonder if there was yet another thing I should be checking. I’m hanging a hammock not rigging the trapeze for Cirque du Soleil!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I’m hanging a hammock not rigging the trapeze for Cirque du Soleil!

LOL!

At some point you get a feel for good enuf!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Shug

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast