First outing tarp leaks

I took my new superfly out for the first time this weekend accompanied by torrential downpours. Unfortunately, it was not exactly watertight. This is no comment on the tarp, probably more so user error. I had 4 points of water and intrusion.

1. I seem sealed the panel pull outs per instructions by placing a very light coating of silicone sealer on the underside of the panel pulls covering the threads. All four of them leaked pretty bad. Not sure what I did wrong, I got really good coverage with the sealer but maybe went a little too light. Perhaps I'll try some more sealer on the outside as well. Fortunately this was not too big an issue because the drips did not end up on the hammock.

2. The biggest issue was the little mitten hook tab in the center of the ridge line. I did not put any seam sealer on this and it leaked a steady drip all night long right onto the hammock. I've been looking at it and not quite sure the best way to seal it. Maybe just some sealer on the outside of the ridge line where it is sewn in? Anyone else had experience with this? I'm kind of surprised that there were no instructions or notes to put seam sealer here. it started leaking shortly after the rain started and continued as a steady stream.

3. I thought that the continuous loops on the ends of the hammocks were underneath the tarp enough, but apparently they were not and the gathered ends of my hammock got pretty wet from water running down the lines. I rigged up some shoestring drip lines in the middle of the night and I think it helped but by that point everything was so wet I can't really tell.

4. this is not so much a water intrusion issue with the tarp, but I had very heavy condensation build up. I need to do some more research on this but perhaps leaving the doors opened a little bit would have helped. The condensation did stay on the tarp though and I Don't think it contributed to the drips on the hammock.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    1. I put that stuff on heavy, and not just on the stitching. Literally the entire fabric, along with flipping up the fabric and getting at the sewn thru threads between the tarp and the pullout backing material. Not a leak.

2. I don't have that on mine. I have the 11 ft tarp...I think that is for those with a ridge runner, and I think it's included for the 13 ft tarps so not sure what to do there. From what I understand of the construction, you're not supposed to worry about the ridgeline. Maybe there is a defect?

3. I use Dutchware beetle buckles, and they are under the tarp coverage and act as a water break for anything running down the straps. I would imagine with a becket hitch, whoopie or other non-hardware style connecting the suspension to the hammock would need the drip lines in a heavy downpour.

4. Condensation on the inside? Yeah, don't button up the doors entirely if you don't need to.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    NORMALLY you don’t have to seam seal the ridgeline - no problem if you do. With WarBonnet, you DO have to seam seal the panel pulls and if you have the 13 ft SuperFly that has the Internal D-Rings for the RR bug net, you DO have to seam seal those.

I’ve only seam sealed the underside of the panel pulls and have never had a problem. There’s a bit of material to hold the stitching You don’t focus on the edges of the strips; you focus on the threads (just in case that’s what happened).

I’m a little puzzled because it’s my understanding that the superfly that has those internal D-rings is the 13 ft model (designed for the ridge runner). But it sounds like you were using it with a gathered end hammock. I can’t imagine a GE hammock that would hang with ends outside a 13 ft tarp?

You didn’t mention what type of suspension you were using. For example, I put 1.5 to 2 inch rings on my continuous loops so I can switch to various suspension attaching to the rings. In that fashion, the rings act as a water break. If I were to use something like a whoopie sling that was connected directly to the hammock CL’s, that seems to me like it would be a highway for water.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-25-2020 at 17:08.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I’m a little puzzled because it’s my understanding that the superfly that has those internal D-rings is the 13 ft model (designed for the ridge runner). But it sounds like you were using it with a gathered end hammock. I can’t imagine a GE hammock that would hang with ends outside a 13 ft tarp?

You didn’t mention what type of suspension you were using. For example, I put 1.5 to 2 inch rings on my continuous loops so I can switch to various suspension attaching to the rings. In that fashion, the rings act as a water break. If I were to use something like a whoopie sling that was connected directly to the hammock CL’s, that seems to me like it would be a highway for water.
    I'm using the 11-foot Superfly. I believe the Ridgeline hook goes along with the center pole mod. When the center pole is spanning the interior of the tarp, the clip helps hold it in the center.

Suspension is the standard webbing and buckles that came on the eldorado.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would for sure gob some on the ridgeline on top of tarp over the mitten hook and and several inches out on the ridgeline as well. Really rub it in good and firm.
    And add more to the pullouts. Pretty does not count in the woods! But leak-free does.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I understand now - it’s not the D-Rings interior to the 13 ft Superfly, it’s an interior patch that support an internal pole mod. I have no experience with those (yet). But just with the 13ft SuperFly D-rings, if it is something “extra” than the standard ridgeline, you have to seal it. But you already know that now
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    yeah I say seal the hell out of it I didn't get my current tarp with panel pulls, but the tarp I got from HG prior to this one did have them and I literally laid it out on a conference table at work and and covered the entire panel pull, reinforcement patch and all. my current thought from Dutch is only has a standing ridge seam. I didn't have to put even a single drop of seam sealer on it.

all it takes is one experience like the one you just had and you realize not to skimp on the seam sealer

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You can seal the patch, but the holes are were the stitching is coming through. If you decide to cover more area, you may need more sealer than was provided. If so, when you buy it, make sure it’s for the material your tarp is made of. I believe there is a different sealer for nylon than for polyester.

• + New Posts