Hammock
    Dutchware Chamleon
    Tarp
    Cuban fiber hex ta
    Insulation
    Hammock gear 950 f
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Something i saw in facebook about the door comment I have always looked as tarping as an art just because something was designed one way doesn't mean you have to use it that way this right here how he is using the doors is just strait up badass if your going to do a diy tarp give yourself options

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamleon
    Tarp
    Cuban fiber hex ta
    Insulation
    Hammock gear 950 f
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Sorry about pic

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm looking at doing something similar myself. Generally a square or slightly rectangular shape is the most versatile, move to more complicated shapes and you have fewer and fewer pitching options, eventually you come to a tent outer which has just one.

For my smaller hammock (an Exped model) which is fairly short I've a 2.7m x 2.4m tarp made by Alpkit, it's their Rig7 model https://alpkit.com/collections/tarps/products/rig-7, this has tie-outs along each edge at the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 points. By using the 1/4 & 3/4 tie-outs it leaves you with triangles at each end that make very effective doors. They don't zip shut in every circumstance but are pretty close.

For my 3.3m (11ft) hammock I'd need a 3.5m x 3m tarp with similar tie-outs.

I'd add pockets at those tie-outs for pole mods. That would also need some form of ties on the underside of the tarp to stop the poles from slipping. The above Alpkit tarp also has a set of mid-panel "lifters", with a bit of forethought and planning these tie-outs and lifters could be at the same point so there'd be only one set of stitching at each point. The doors could also be tied back to these when not in use.

The Rig7 on the ground is big - plenty of room for two people - we use lightweight bivy bags with it for bug protection.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreocereus View Post
    That's a curious design. Nice way use of materials for economics. Have you made one then?
    Yes, I've made 4 Ogee tarps, experimenting with different proportions. I suggested 126" length for use with an 11' gathered end hammock to keep the weight down, but I made two that used a rectangle 64" wide and 140" long to use with longer bridge hammocks (for tall people). That's really too long, I think. 132" would have been plenty. I made a giant Ogee, scaling everything up (the rectangle is 8' x 15' ) but found the side triangles were then too large. I made them proportionately smaller, and it hangs well and doesn't need as much side space now, so it's my preferred tarp for winter camping (which these days is essentially car camping, so weight isn't an issue).
    I usually modify the ends of my Ogee tarps a bit, adding zippers or snaps so I can block breezes if necessary. If you cut a thin triangle off each end side, the corners don't need to be tied out. Just hang a water bottle from the corners and the downward pressure also pulls the tarp toward the end. The end modifications can be done after the basic tarp is completed. Once it's hanging over your hammock it's easier to see what changes (if any) you want to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    I'm looking at doing something similar myself. Generally a square or slightly rectangular shape is the most versatile, move to more complicated shapes and you have fewer and fewer pitching options, eventually you come to a tent outer which has just one.

For my smaller hammock (an Exped model) which is fairly short I've a 2.7m x 2.4m tarp made by Alpkit, it's their Rig7 model https://alpkit.com/collections/tarps/products/rig-7, this has tie-outs along each edge at the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 points. By using the 1/4 & 3/4 tie-outs it leaves you with triangles at each end that make very effective doors. They don't zip shut in every circumstance but are pretty close.

For my 3.3m (11ft) hammock I'd need a 3.5m x 3m tarp with similar tie-outs.

I'd add pockets at those tie-outs for pole mods. That would also need some form of ties on the underside of the tarp to stop the poles from slipping. The above Alpkit tarp also has a set of mid-panel "lifters", with a bit of forethought and planning these tie-outs and lifters could be at the same point so there'd be only one set of stitching at each point. The doors could also be tied back to these when not in use.

The Rig7 on the ground is big - plenty of room for two people - we use lightweight bivy bags with it for bug protection.
    So you use your smaller hammock with a rectangle tarp set up with an offset / asym ridgeline?

And are you planning to use the 11ft hammock with the tarp set up as rectangle rather than asymmetrically?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I made one like your first design.. a DIY Kitsap Style Glasgow Asym Tarp
    Template is here.. but be warned.. it's a big picture.

More pictures here...

I used it half a dozen times, with 11' hammocks and while it was versatile and packed really small & lite, I found it had way too little coverage to be worthwhile.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Thanks Mike. That's what I'm worried about. Kitsapp argues it's enough with skilled usage in most scenarios.

Would you suggest a similar design of larger dimensions? Or is it just a fundamental challenge of asym tarps?

So you use your smaller hammock with a rectangle tarp set up with an offset / asym ridgeline?
    No. It's set up as a rectangle, the hammock is only 2.7m, it's actually too small for me so my wife uses it. The tarp has a long dimension of 2.7m so there's plenty of coverage once the hammock sags. With using the 1/4 & 3/4 tie-outs on the sides you can get doors with the spare triangles.

And are you planning to use the 11ft hammock with the tarp set up as rectangle rather than asymmetrically?
    Correct. In summer I've used the Alpkit tarp in diamond setup with it as below, nice and airy but it would be a bit too open for autumn/winter. You can see the mid-panel lifters in this shot.

Cheers. Why are you using the 3.5 x 3m tarp on the diagonal? I'd have thought you'd get sufficient coverage in a simple rectangle set up, and probably be more comfortable? Or are the sides not long enough to protect the bottom of the hammock in wind blown rain?

Cheers. Why are you using the 3.5 x 3m tarp on the diagonal? I'd have thought you'd get sufficient coverage in a simple rectangle set up, and probably be more comfortable? Or are the sides not long enough to protect the bottom of the hammock in wind blown rain?
    I think we've got crossed wires

I currently only have the Alpkit tarp at 2.7m x 2.4m which is the one in the photo. I'm looking at designing/making the 3.5m x 3m one as the Alpkit one won't offer enough coverage in poorer weather. So:

2.7m tarp in rectangular mode with smaller hammock
    2.7m tarp in diamond mode with larger hammock
    3.5m tarp in rectangular/hex mode with larger hammock (yet to be built)

Hope that's clearer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast