Hammock
    A Frankenstein Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch

Can HG DCF palace go the distance in windy winter conditions?

Hi all,

Currently I have a silpoly winter tarp w doors. I want a palace but wondering if it will hold up to the beating of winter weather as well as silpoly?? Thoughts??

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Yes - but I recommend against using shock cord on a dyneema tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    I posted a video .. Camping at 3500 ft. In winter on hunter MT. My hammock gear dcf tarp got shredded!! It was a nasty storm and a person we were with had a silpoly tarp that also ripped. I also have and currently use the winter palace dcf tarp..
    It all depends what you mean a beating of winter weather..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Around here, winters are milder that rain storms. The concern isn’t so much wind forces and sideways rain as it is an unexpected snow load - either directly from the sky or “shock loaded” by a pile falling from a tree branch accumulation. A sharper that usual pitch may aid in having accumulated snow slide off the panels. You can also run your ridge line under the tarp to give in more snow support.

The reason it is not usually under the tarp in spring/summer/fall is a concern about 1) allowing rain to run down the line under the tarp and abrasion on the ridgeline seam seal. We get very little rain in the winter and a DCF tarp doesn’t have a “ridgeline” - two panels sewn together and sealed.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    [QUOTE=Dirtbaghiker;2035790]I posted a video .. Camping at 3500 ft. In winter on hunter MT. My hammock gear dcf tarp got shredded!! It was a nasty storm and a person we were with had a silpoly tarp that also ripped. I also have and currently use the winter palace dcf tarp..
    It all depends what you mean a beating of winter weather.. [/
    That looks like a super cold night for sure. Wind always throws a wrench in it. Did you use shock cord? 50 mph is a lot. I had my dcf tarp without doors in a gale and a big branch actually fell and bounced off the tarp right by my head.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Yes - but I recommend against using shock cord on a dyneema tarp.
    Can you go into depth as to why?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageddon View Post
    Can you go into depth as to why?
    Shock cord tensioners on guy lines were purportedly designed to deal with the stretch of silnylon tarps when they get wet.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...arp-Tensioners

The thought was that once the tarp stretched after getting wet, the shock cord would take up the slack.

However, DCF tarps don't stretch when wet, so that reasoning is out the window. There are some people who like to use shock cord with their DCF tarps (Shug included), but it sounds like just a preference thing.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=shock+cord
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Here’s some thoughts - the reason we use shock cord on Silnylon (and I guess in smaller measure, Silpoly) tarps is they tend to stretch when wet. As such, they loose the taut pitch they started out with. That means more flapping and perhaps some shock loading as the wind hits the slack.

The DCF tarp doesn’t stretch. So there is no need to compensate for that “feature”. But that would only make it unnecessary; nothing positive but nothing negative. So think about the two different ropes used in rock climbing vs caving. In rock climbing, when you come off the rock (a.k.a. fall) after your body (body weight) has fallen twice it’s length or more, you don’t want to come to an abrupt stop. The climbing rope is designed to streeeetch; it’s called dynamic. However, if you have repelled to the bottom of a cave and are going back up the rope with some device like Jumars, you don’t want it to stretch. Because it is very disheartening to put your foot in the stirrup, stand up on it, only to have the rope stretch so you are still on the ground - even after ten minutes of “climbing” the rope, you’re still on the ground because it keeps stretching. So rope for caving - and sometimes for snow travel - is static; it’s designed not to stretch. The same “cave” effect happens when you are climbing out of a crevasse. They dynamic effect is not so much needed because if you drop into a crevasse, there is seldom the same kind of “air” time you take coming off the rock.

So back to DCF tarps. If the tarp doesn’t stretch, then when the wind hits it, the bungee will take all the force and snap back. It won’t “share” anything as a stretchy SilNylon will. So the DCF - will be shock-loaded more than some fabric that has a little give.

If you don’t use bungee on the DCF, there would be less movement. True, the force is still there; it’s no going anywhere. But it’s more a steady push. It doesn’t impart the same “spring/snap” that would occur with the stretch of the bungee.

Could be completely wrong about the above - that just seems how the dynamics would play out. But it seems sort of a lab exercise to me. I’m sure, given that the SilNylon has some stretch/give and the DCF doesn’t, the “shock" force would be greater on DCF. But how much that plays out in “real life” - I don’t know. Someday I may have a DCF tarp and find out.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-28-2020 at 16:31.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Whoa Buddy!! I am LOVIN this tarp discussion.

I’ve got silnylon and a cheap who knows what. I’ve been satisfied with both but have had neither in an serious weather yet.

My question, how do these various fabrics handle the worse case scenario where things have hit the fan. Say a random small limb has punched through the roof and I want to stay as dry as possible until morning. All I’ve got it duct tape which probably won’t help much given that things are wet.

What are my options. Which fabric is least likely to continue to rip possibly resulting in total tarp failure. Can any of them resist further tearing under load? What fabric is least likely to tear in the first place.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't use shock cord on my DCF tarp - I've never seen a reason to do it. I have regularly camped in 30 to 40 mph gusts and never had a problem. In fact, a couple of years ago I went on a group hang in the Pine Barrens in November. The forecast was for three inches of rain and 30 to 40 mph wind gusts. However, that forecast was wrong: we got 60 mph winds and five inches of rain! My DCF tarp with Zing-It 1.75 mm guylines did quite well, though I did wake up every couple of hours and make sure my stakes weren't coming out of the ground. Of the 40 people hammocking, I'd say at least 20 had to sleep in their cars. One fellow hammocker with a DCF tarp had the stakes ripped out of the ground and everything got wet within seconds.

But nobody's tarp got ripped or shredded. I'm sure some folks had shock-cord tensioners, but I don't think they do much in 60 mph winds.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast