Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I use shock cord on the side pulls on the walls of my HG DCF Hex.

Not so much to maintain tension as to allow the sides to move a bit with the wind if need be during storms.
    Signature suspended

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    Whoa Buddy!! I am LOVIN this tarp discussion.

I’ve got silnylon and a cheap who knows what. I’ve been satisfied with both but have had neither in an serious weather yet.

My question, how do these various fabrics handle the worse case scenario where things have hit the fan. Say a random small limb has punched through the roof and I want to stay as dry as possible until morning. All I’ve got it duct tape which probably won’t help much given that things are wet.

What are my options. Which fabric is least likely to continue to rip possibly resulting in total tarp failure. Can any of them resist further tearing under load? What fabric is least likely to tear in the first place.

Like this??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    A Frankenstein Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Like this??
    YIKES!!! that’s no bueno

Hammock
    A Frankenstein Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    -20:wooki, ugq.
    Suspension
    MT Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Here’s some thoughts - the reason we use shock cord on Silnylon (and I guess in smaller measure, Silpoly) tarps is they tend to stretch when wet. As such, they loose the taut pitch they started out with. That means more flapping and perhaps some shock loading as the wind hits the slack.

The DCF tarp doesn’t stretch. So there is no need to compensate for that “feature”. But that would only make it unnecessary; nothing positive but nothing negative. So think about the two different ropes used in rock climbing vs caving. In rock climbing, when you come off the rock (a.k.a. fall) after your body (body weight) has fallen twice it’s length or more, you don’t want to come to an abrupt stop. The climbing rope is designed to streeeetch; it’s called dynamic. However, if you have repelled to the bottom of a cave and are going back up the rope with some device like Jumars, you don’t want it to stretch. Because it is very disheartening to put your foot in the stirrup, stand up on it, only to have the rope stretch so you are still on the ground - even after ten minutes of “climbing” the rope, you’re still on the ground because it keeps stretching. So rope for caving - and sometimes for snow travel - is static; it’s designed not to stretch. The same “cave” effect happens when you are climbing out of a crevasse. They dynamic effect is not so much needed because if you drop into a crevasse, there is seldom the same kind of “air” time you take coming off the rock.

So back to DCF tarps. If the tarp doesn’t stretch, then when the wind hits it, the bungee will take all the force and snap back. It won’t “share” anything as a stretchy SilNylon will. So the DCF - will be shock-loaded more than some fabric that has a little give.

If you don’t use bungee on the DCF, there would be less movement. True, the force is still there; it’s no going anywhere. But it’s more a steady push. It doesn’t impart the same “spring/snap” that would occur with the stretch of the bungee.

Could be completely wrong about the above - that just seems how the dynamics would play out. But it seems sort of a lab exercise to me. I’m sure, given that the SilNylon has some stretch/give and the DCF doesn’t, the “shock" force would be greater on DCF. But how much that plays out in “real life” - I don’t know. Someday I may have a DCF tarp and find out.
    Maybe I’m just an ox, but I found the shock cord helpful to avoid user error entering and exiting tarp. I tend to accidentally pull a stake out by rustling against tarp or lifting my head up too high underneath tarp- or in general just not being graceful. I found the shock cord takes those kind of abrasions better. And the forest is filled with a lot less swears.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageddon View Post
    Maybe I’m just an ox, but I found the shock cord helpful to avoid user error entering and exiting tarp. I tend to accidentally pull a stake out by rustling against tarp or lifting my head up too high underneath tarp- or in general just not being graceful. I found the shock cord takes those kind of abrasions better. And the forest is filled with a lot less swears.
    This is the primary reason that I use them. Mostly where I camp we have thick woods - lots of ferns and foliage so its easy to stroll full-speed into a line. I also tie a small loop in the shock cord where it attaches to the tarp. I can then just roll up my guylines and stuff them into that small loop where they stay securely with the tarp - makes setup and take down combined with line locks super fast.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I choose SilNylon because where I play, reliability/robustness has a higher value than light weight. Now that I know Silpoly also comes in ripstop patterns, I may consider that for my next tarp. But again, usually my outings are planned for good weather. Of course it occasionally rains, tarps get wet without the opportunity to dry out. But that’s just the cost of doing business.

Think about what the people who first came west had to deal with. Dutchware wasn’t around then. The didn’t have REI. And yet, we’ve made it to here.

My one change has been to try a tarp suspension line directly from tree to tree with the tarp hanging underneath on Nama Claws like a hammock hangs on its SRL. I’ve tripped over guylines before but reflective lines and learning to enter from the ends, or a high porch mode, have pretty much eliminated that surprise.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Of the three cuben tarps I have, only the Standard Hex has any shock cord. My ground lines are all the same... 1.2 ZPacks Reflective Z-Line with a Double Dragon knot creating an eye in one end. I have a short 1/8" loop tied through that eye, using a double fishermans knot. I am still exploring the single line suspension for ultra lite summer trips and have found the shock cord useful in pulling up the wee bit of tarp slack that results when the hammock is loaded.

Other than that, no shock cord on my cuben tarps..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    The Yeti hang last winter had heavy snows just before we hung in above freezing daytime temps. Unavoidably there were snow bombs of considerable size.

The weak point seemed to be ridgelines. Others may want to pass on details of their crashes.

I use a Dutchware CRL with the sliding prussiks. After my mid-day snow bomb direct hit my 12 foot HG Journey was only 7 or 8 feet long and collapsed. The prussiks slid under the snow load. The Hammock stayed dry, some snow anchors needed resetting but the Journey was fine after sliding the prussiks back. Oh. If it matters I use shock cord on the guys, AND on the hammock pullouts.

As a precaution against a night time concussion I backed up the ridgeline pullouts with some 36lb bank line around the trees for the rest of the stay. No more snow bombs, though.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    Copied from another forum that I recently posted on: Allow me to share a story from this past week. We camped on a mountain (Shortoff Trail) above 2600' within twenty feet of the cliff in Linville Gorge last week during tropical storm Zeta. One of my buddies was using my four year old BCUSA 70D Nylon tarp, I used my one year old 20D silpoly tarp with the three pole mod, and my other buddy had his newish .51 dcf tarp. The winds on the first night were around 30-40 mph with gusts hitting upwards of 50mph. The rain was horrendous. We noted that the nylon wetted out in the first few hours so much that you could actually see the dark shape of the snugpak cocoon that was on the hammock inside through the material. It sagged noticeably compared to it's original appearance. The silpoly took two days worth of rain and was less than 30% wetted out by the end of the trip and showed no signs of sagging. The dcf of course absorbed no water.

On the second day of question we went to bed with a clear sky and just a very slight breeze. At 11pm we awoke to a massive storm that had winds in excess of 50mph. By 2am we had higher winds with frequent gusts of 70-80+mph that lasted until 5am. It sounded like a freight train coming, hit hard, and there was silence for a few seconds before it came again. All three of my poles were bent at the middle section (only) but held. Twice the end poles jumped out of their respective pockets and had to be re-inserted. The dcf and silpoly tarps used 2mm (glow wire) and 3mm Lawson (non-glow wire) lines...they held. The nylon tarp had non-Lawson lines that snapped from the pressure. When we finally awoke at daylight we discovered the bent poles at my silpoly tarp and the torn corner of the dcf tarp. The nylon had zero damage other than guy lines that were fixed/replaced on the fly during the storm.

Lessons learned:
    1) the nylon took a beating and worked like a charm. Although soaking wet and weighing a ton compared to it's dry weight it did not leak
    2) the silpoly took a beating and worked like a charm. It did not weigh much and had dried out for the most part by the time that we packed up at 9am. It did have more sunlight on it than the silnylon tarp
    3) DCF is ultralight, waterproof, and strong for it's weight but it is neither silpoly or silnylon strong in my opinion. The tent stake that was attached at the guy line where it tore was heavily bent. It took a beating before it gave up.

Pictures were taken at approximately 7am the morning after the last storm before packing them up
    Silpoly 20D 1.1oz Ripstop
    IMG_0389 (Medium).JPG

70D 1.9 oz ripstop nylon
    IMG_0390 (Medium).JPG

.51 DCF
    IMG_0391 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0483 (Medium).JPG

Video of abuse (strong language warning) at 11pm when it started-https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=g4CdSLxDUXA

Non tarp related damage: I use spider straps from Dutchware.com that have a breaking strength of 1500lb. The winds were pulling my trees so hard that my hammock would rise and fall as it swayed with the wind during the gusts. An audible "twang" sound could be heard from my amsteel structural ridgeline each time. My buddy reported also hearing this on his hammock. One of my straps gave near the end of the storm and I re-adjusted it. In the morning I realized that it had started to tear where it was locked down at the buckle. My tarp was about one foot off of the ground and yet my lightweight stuff was strewn in three different directions into the forest. Since the ground had large rocks/boulders many of the tent stakes were placed on the end of a rock at an angle. This is what caused the bent stake that was tied to the corner of the dcf tarp that ripped. I would like to note that these conditions were above and beyond the "normal" conditions that this gear should have been subjected to and yet they held when the chips were down. Personally I think that the evidence speaks volumes as to the excellent quality of the products produced by the vendors on here.

IMG_0489 (Medium).JPG

20201031_101739 (Medium).jpg

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouse View Post
    By 2am we had higher winds with frequent gusts of 70-80+mph that lasted until 5am. It sounded like a freight train coming, hit hard, and there was silence for a few seconds before it came again.
    Shortoff is unique in the winds that come through there. Just something about the freight train sound as it howls through the gorge before coming over top of the mountain. I love it. You know that it's coming and just pucker up waiting to see what happens. Torn a couple tarps apart up there, though. The split rings failing saved me a few times.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12