Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

Intent of Chameleon pack hooks for UQ

So I think I over think things. But my last hangs have shown me that I still don’t know how to set up a UQ. This is my first season of hanging in temps below 50DegF.

Laying in my hammock, last trip, I awoke to quite the chill. That trip I had many mistakes to correct, but one that I am perplexed over is how to keep the UQ sides from riding up over the side of the hammock?

Are the pack hooks on the chameleon there to hold the UQ down or allow the UQ to not drop below the hammock body and situated on your shoulder.

I’ve watched quite a few videos on how to hang an UQ, but maybe I am missing something.

I’m guessing that I may have the primary suspension too tight?

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I watched this some time ago in addition to Shug’s videos on UQs and it really helped me to understand what you are going for in adjusting the quilt.

I don’t have this quilt, but mine has the same 3 adjustments per side.

I only have one hammock with UQ clips - they are nice to keep the hammock and the quilt connected, but I haven’t found them to do much more than that. My hammock without hooks works just as well as my hammock with them, but you have to be a bit more cautious when entering the hammock or you may miss it altogether!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    So I think I over think things. But my last hangs have shown me that I still don’t know how to set up a UQ. This is my first season of hanging in temps below 50DegF.

Laying in my hammock, last trip, I awoke to quite the chill. That trip I had many mistakes to correct, but one that I am perplexed over is how to keep the UQ sides from riding up over the side of the hammock?

Are the pack hooks on the chameleon there to hold the UQ down or allow the UQ to not drop below the hammock body and situated on your shoulder.

I’ve watched quite a few videos on how to hang an UQ, but maybe I am missing something.

I’m guessing that I may have the primary suspension too tight?
    Check to make sure you don't have your ends (shoulder to shoulder/foot to foot) cinched too tight. That can cause side slipping.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Check to make sure you don't have your ends (shoulder to shoulder/foot to foot) cinched too tight. That can cause side slipping.
    Good point, I know I was most likely overcompensating to try and prevent breezes from venting the heat trapped by the UQ. I cinched them fairly tight. I’m going to loosen everything and try and dial it in from a “new” state.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I watched this some time ago in addition to Shug’s videos on UQs and it really helped me to understand what you are going for in adjusting the quilt.

I don’t have this quilt, but mine has the same 3 adjustments per side.

I only have one hammock with UQ clips - they are nice to keep the hammock and the quilt connected, but I haven’t found them to do much more than that. My hammock without hooks works just as well as my hammock with them, but you have to be a bit more cautious when entering the hammock or you may miss it altogether!

That video was helpful, thank you. I don’t have the third (middle) adjustment at the foot end, but it does have the rest of the adjustments.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I use the 2nd pack hook on the head side of my Half Zipped (basically, a Chameleon with a nonremovable bugnet) to attach the UQ suspension. This does a good job of keeping it on my shoulder. I use a 3/4 UQ, so it might not be feasible with a full length UQ (maybe use the 1st pack hook). Also, those draft collar adjustments...if it's too tight, it will counterintuitively cause gaps.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I use the 2nd pack hook on the head side of my Half Zipped (basically, a Chameleon with a nonremovable bugnet) to attach the UQ suspension. This does a good job of keeping it on my shoulder. I use a 3/4 UQ, so it might not be feasible with a full length UQ (maybe use the 1st pack hook). Also, those draft collar adjustments...if it's too tight, it will counterintuitively cause gaps.
    Thank you for that.

Today was a nice cool day and I had every intention of trying out these corrective ideas.

The UQ I have I can hook on to the upper set of pack hooks. It hadn’t occurred to me that the second set would be for a 3/4 length UQ. Good to know.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Do you have someone else around to help you dial it in? If not, set up your phone and record you getting in the hammock. Have it aimed at the cinch ends to see if there are gaps around the draft collars when you're in the hammock. Might take a little longer but at least you can see what's going on.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    Good point, I know I was most likely overcompensating to try and prevent breezes from venting the heat trapped by the UQ. I cinched them fairly tight. I’m going to loosen everything and try and dial it in from a “new” state.
    Just tight enough to make a seal against the hammock is all you need.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    actually the shock cord pull outs help this a lot because the under quilt can't go above the shock cord, and how you position the pullouts affects the lay as well as how the hammock sits in the under quilt.

those pack hooks took some experimentation for me to get it right. I only use the hooks to hold the suspension on one side of the foot end, and the opposite side for the head end again it may take some experimentation with which hook to get it right

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts