Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dutchware hexon 1.6 cameleon

I recently purchased adouble wide cameleon 9n hexon d 1.6

I really like the design and size and features. I bought it to replace a martians hammock that was only 10 ft and much cheaper.

The martians is made from 210 t or d parachute nylon i believe

I have not slept in the cameleon yet but laid in it several times to watch some Netflix

I find it very firm conpared to the martians and the material when i move is almost like carpet burn

Im a bit concerned i will have a harder time sleeping in it than my cheap martians

It is a lot of money to spend on a hammock if i dont end up finding it comfortable

Im not sure how you shop and buy when there are no stores near me that sell different styles and materials i could lay in and try

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Depends on where you live - on the East coast there seems to be quite a few gatherings - typically called hammock hangs - and as luck would have it this is the time of year these tend to happen.

Perhaps if you can go to one of these hammock hangs and try out several different hammocks.

The community that you see here is a very straightforward community however. I would recommend you try out the chameleon if you don't like it resell it.

Of course you will lose money on it but if you look at things as if it were a rental to me it's a perfectly acceptable way of doing things. You would have spent the money to have rented equipment and in this particular scenario it is about the highest of the top end.

Although I've yet to sleep in one, I have tried several of the bug net/hammock combos and I can tell you I am not a fan. You sacrifice width of the hammock so that you have zipper attachment points for your bug net - I would humbly recommend buying a basic gathered and hammock 11' or longer - and then purchase accessories to make that particular model better. I don't believe that you're going to save a ton of money doing it this way but it allows you to play with things and switch things out. or use me as an example but living in Colorado a bug net is not an absolute necessity if you do most of your camping fall and winter and spring. So for me one of the hammock bug net combos would not be a very good item. I believe Dutch has patented the removable bug net - although even with it removed as I have said you sacrifice the width of your hammock when you do this. None of my hammocks are narrower than 60 inches.

Anyhow seriously consider buying and reselling as a method to start with it allows you to test and try things

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Depends on where you live - on the East coast there seems to be quite a few gatherings - typically called hammock hangs - and as luck would have it this is the time of year these tend to happen.

Perhaps if you can go to one of these hammock hangs and try out several different hammocks.

The community that you see here is a very straightforward community however. I would recommend you try out the chameleon if you don't like it resell it.

Of course you will lose money on it but if you look at things as if it were a rental to me it's a perfectly acceptable way of doing things. You would have spent the money to have rented equipment and in this particular scenario it is about the highest of the top end.

Although I've yet to sleep in one, I have tried several of the bug net/hammock combos and I can tell you I am not a fan. You sacrifice width of the hammock so that you have zipper attachment points for your bug net - I would humbly recommend buying a basic gathered and hammock 11' or longer - and then purchase accessories to make that particular model better. I don't believe that you're going to save a ton of money doing it this way but it allows you to play with things and switch things out. or use me as an example but living in Colorado a bug net is not an absolute necessity if you do most of your camping fall and winter and spring. So for me one of the hammock bug net combos would not be a very good item. I believe Dutch has patented the removable bug net - although even with it removed as I have said you sacrifice the width of your hammock when you do this. None of my hammocks are narrower than 60 inches.

Anyhow seriously consider buying and reselling as a method to start with it allows you to test and try things

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The cameleon wide is 68 inches so plenty wide and up here in Ontario canada netting is a must. Mosquitoes are bad

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Use it. Break it in. Loosen your ridgeline so it sags a bit. You will probably end up really liking that hammock. I use a ridgeline that is 3” longer than 83%. Then set the hang up for a loose sagging ridgeline which allows the net to give a bit up high, which in turn lets the sides relax instead of being pulled up tight. The double layer is stiff but will break in a bit. It’s the only way that I can hammock. So I’m kinda bias. But if you and the hammock can’t come to terms, it will sell in about 5 minutes on the marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    I believe Dutch has patented the removable bug net
    this is not true seeing as there were others that made a hammock with a removable bugnet (example dream hammock with the sparrow and thunderbird, little shop of hammocks and others) way before the chameleon came out. now the zipper that is on the chameleon is a patented zipper.

i've had the the hammock and bugnet as separate pieces of gear like Gilligan is talking about and I personally like hammocks with the integrated bugnets better. they are easier for me to get in and out of, easier to put my underquilt on and I like the looks of the hammocks better that have the integrated bugnet and the are less bulky.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    This may be a case of what you are used to.

I don’t have a chameleon, but I have a dutchwear hammock in the same fabric. To me, hexon 1.6 feels more like cloth and is much less stretchy and slippery than my previous hammock. I wouldn’t say better or worse, just different. I grew to like it once I spent a night in it. I do appreciate that extra fabric grip when sleeping in the hammock since it keeps you a bit more in-place.

My last hammock is somewhere in the middle with MTN 1.2. It’s a bit slippery (not as much as my first hammock), has a bit of stretch to it, and has a bit of grip to it as well. My favorite so far.

It’s a journey - enjoy the ride! Like Gilligan said, worse case, consider it a rental.

Good luck.

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    DWG UL Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have a Netless in the 1.6 (as well as a double layer 1.0 Chameleon). I really like the 1.6. I agree that it'ss a little less soft to the touch and doesn't stretch. The Netless is my favorite though. I REALLY like the lay of it, but agree with the comment about loosening the ridgeline. I find I prefer a little slacker setup than the stock fixed ridgeline.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Gotta be careful shortening/lengthening the SRL with the *asym* (net) Chameleon because it can really mess up the geometry and stress the net.

I don't know if this applies to the non-asym.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Gotta be careful shortening/lengthening the SRL with the *asym* (net) Chameleon because it can really mess up the geometry and stress the net.

I don't know if this applies to the non-asym.
    It would if ya go more than 3 maybe 4 inches. But if ya don’t hang the hammock any longer, and just lengthen the ridge line so that it sags a bit it’s actually less stress on the net and the sides of the hammock. Which gives a more comfy/relaxed feel to the hammock. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Why lengthen the ridgeline if you hang it loose? Why not simply lengthen the suspension? That would also result in a loose ridgeline, without running the risk of accidentally overtightening the ridgeline.

It's risky, playing with the length of the ridgeline of an integrated hammock like the Chameleon. It doesn't matter if the net is cut symmetrical or asymmetrical. As long is it's not the same size as the hammock body, there will be stress on the netting and, more problematic, on the zippers when the net is stretched lengthwise (due to a lengthened ridgeline) or widthwise (due to a shortened ridgeline). If the hammock is uncomfortable when the ridgeline is tight, lengthen your suspension without touching the structural ridgeline. If you want consistent results, you could add a shorter ridgeline outside the net.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast